Sponsored

Jeep Chat Can Read What You're Typing...Before You Send it!

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
Hey guys! I wasn't sure where to post this, so please let me know if it needs to be moved somewhere else. I just had an interesting experience on Jeep chat earlier today that I wanted to let everyone know about, as it kind of freaked me out.

The short background is that I was checking in on my build status (stuck in Inspection for 5 days now), and the guy I was chatting with was super friendly and responsive. One of my big concerns is that my JLUS won't make it out of the plant before the shutdown for retooling that @JlEngineline posted about a while back.

I typed out a question about the upcoming shutdown to see if this guy knew the dates, but I ended up not sending it because he had responded to something else, and I wanted to ask a different question at that point. Before I could even send my other question, he replied that he had not been provided any info on a plant shutdown.

I repeat - I had only TYPED out the question but DID NOT send it.

So I asked why he said that since I hadn't asked that question. He said, and I quote, "I can see what you are typing."

I've never heard of this functionality on a chat before, so I just wanted to share for awareness.

If you're anything like me, you tend to reword things (or think better of sending a message if you're in a frustrating circumstance). So just know that Jeep Chat can see what you're typing...before you send it. :surprised: :movember: :bandit:
Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Good to know but not surprising. You're on their website. It's not like you two are chatting on an independent third-party platform.

On a related note, I've heard some companies listen to what you say on the phone when you're on hold and listening to elevator music.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Creepy indeed. If your offended easily, it's best not to spy on me. Ain't no telling what's going to come out of my mouth. I usually check myself before I share.

Sponsored

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I was wondering about that. I had a similar experience and couldn’t figure out how Jeep Chat knew what I was typing prior to sending it.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
OR that they get asked the very same questions EVERY day so they anticipate and respond accordingly:surprised:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
That's OK, Google told the whole world what you were going to type before you thought of it anyway. Creepy bastards.
I work in a "secure" facility. I share an office with someone. Sometimes we are having a conversation about something and a question arises. I decide to google it. I type one letter and the phrase, word, or name we were discussing comes up. And I don't mean something I had searched in the past. Google is listening.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the heads up JZ. But if you want to get your mind blown you should watch "The Creepy Line" (netflix i think). Its a documentary on how big tech operates and the complete lack of privacy we have. As an example, google reads and owns every piece of information sent on all of their platforms. They scan your emails. They track you on Google Maps. They catalog your google searches. They then sell this information to the higher bidder. You can't escape it. Scary.

PS-This isn't some far-fetched conspiracy theory. This is their business model.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
I work in a "secure" facility. I share an office with someone. Sometimes we are having a conversation about something and a question arises. I decide to google it. I type one letter and the phrase, word, or name we were discussing comes up. And I don't mean something I had searched in the past. Google is listening.
There are often time (most of the time, in fact) where you aren't the first person to think of that question. I work in a secure facility. No blue tooth, no mics, nothing that transmits. I start typing and google puts the question up before I finish.

OP
OP
jz19

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
Good to know but not surprising. You're on their website. It's not like you two are chatting on an independent third-party platform.

On a related note, I've heard some companies listen to what you say on the phone when you're on hold and listening to elevator music.
I've heard that about being on hold as well - I always mute my line when I'm on hold. As for the chat - some of the solutions are third party integrations (especially on dealer websites). I've worked with a few of them over the years and never heard of this feature. Just good to know!

OP
OP
jz19

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
I was wondering about that. I had a similar experience and couldn’t figure out how Jeep Chat knew what I was typing prior to sending it.
Mystery solved. ;)

OP
OP
jz19

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
Yep. Not like FCA is using some black box chat program.
I've never heard of the third party chat solutions offering this. But now I know! I'm going to watch what I type in ANY chat window now...

Good lesson!
Sponsored