Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Jeep chief, Mike Manley, has previously hinted that a hybrid Wrangler (JL generation) was being considered, but never before has he confirmed such a model, just as he's done.

In an interview with Autoexpress at the Geneva auto show, Manley confirms a hybrid Wrangler is coming and talks a bit about their approach for this model. Asked directly if a hybrid would feature in the new range, Manley said, “Yes. We have continued our studies on hybridisation for the Wrangler, and it’s a balance for us. Obviously there are loads of different hybrid technologies, from mild to 48v through to full battery-electric.

He added “For the Wrangler you need to strike the right balance; we don’t want to do something that will leave you stranded on a hillside. So for me, full battery EV is not a great fit. But hybridisation works well with the brand because of the attributes that come with electric motors – not just the torque, but also the control.”
Sponsored

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Diesel hybrid would be amazing. But lets see if diesel ever makes it :(

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
He added “For the Wrangler you need to strike the right balance; we don’t want to do something that will leave you stranded on a hillside. So for me, full battery EV is not a great fit. But hybridisation works well with the brand because of the attributes that come with electric motors – not just the torque, but also the control.”
My gut reaction whenever seeing the words Jeep + hybrid together is :eek: But when thinking about it some more, the instant 100% torque from electric motors would actually be very useful both in regular driving and off road use. My worry is what happens if electric motor breaks down -can the car still run on the gas engine alone?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Electric engines are ridiculously reliable, more so than reciprocating, fossil fuel burning engines. More likely, the electronic system managing and sensing things will be the problem. I'd say you're more likely to have the electric side bail you out of a break down than the other way around. NOW... Having said that, those of us "do it yourself, shade tree" mechanics will be hopelessly over-matched by the complexity of these systems when it's time to repair or mod them. Maybe this is why millennials were put on this earth...

MotoJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JK, 2014 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
The instant torque of a hybrid off road sounds great, but I don't know how they'd be able to package it. The electric motor would have to be in between the transmission and transfer case, and there's not much room down there. Not to mention the motor getting in the way of the front shaft and the extra weight of the battery.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Actually it'd need to be between the motor and bell housing (IMHO). I've seen concepts for radial electric motors that'd be about the size and shape of a clutch assembly (or torque converter). Would push the petroleum motor forward by about 6-8" but would work.

HUM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future wrangler owner
image.jpeg

Maybe thats why this hood is a little longer on suspected theoretical jl hood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ 65th Anniversary Edition
Occupation
Farmer
Ok a hybrid sounds great for off-road that instant torque would come in handy but my problem is simple. Is this technology really proven off-road and Jeep is already straying from the diy self diagnosing of your average backyard mechanic if you mix hybrid into the mix it's over.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
image.jpeg

Maybe thats why this hood is a little longer on suspected theoretical jl hood
I thought the longer hood was due to the car needing to be longer to accommodate the new 8 speed auto.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ok a hybrid sounds great for off-road that instant torque would come in handy but my problem is simple. Is this technology really proven off-road and Jeep is already straying from the diy self diagnosing of your average backyard mechanic if you mix hybrid into the mix it's over.
Don't think hybrid's been proven off-road yet, even in the aftermarket. There was this full electric Wrangler conversion done though.

Sponsored

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Wonder how they'll compensate (if at all) for the added weight of a hybrid's electric motors and battery. Seems like Jeep is all about reducing weight on the JL so this will just add it back.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Wonder how they'll compensate (if at all) for the added weight of a hybrid's electric motors and battery. Seems like Jeep is all about reducing weight on the JL so this will just add it back.
Yes, but a lot of the weight reduction is to increase fuel mileage.

If they play their electric cards right, the efficiency there could offset the gas mileage drop due to the extra weight.

In a lot of ways, the Chevy Volt/locomotive approach - an electric motor driving each wheel independently, powered by batteries with an engine that acts only as a generator - seems like it would be an awesome one for an off-road vehicle; incredible torque, good gas "mileage" and regenerative braking would have the batteries topped off by the end of the downhill side of most any mountain pass.

Nmp212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 RAM 1500
Very true. This isn't a sports car, a little extra weight is not a big deal when you get much better low end torque and gas mileage. Want less weight? Go topless and doorless.
Sponsored