Jeep catching wind on highway

flipper

First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saburu, honda, Wrangler (first one)
I've had my first Jeep for two weeks now, and it is obviously noticeable compared to my last 5 vehicles (Jettas). But when I removed the doors and freedom panels, I didn't even notice anything else other than how cool it was. And when I say cool, I mean it literally. It was 55 degrees here in Wisconsin, so I told my kids to wear sweatshirts, put their hoods on if they had to, and we went for ice cream. Best in-town vehicle trip ever!
Gotta love a fellow Deadhead!
Sponsored

OP
OP
LittleG

LittleG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
Anyone else also get the corners of their back window lifting and unclipping itself ? Seems to happen when the glass windows are down and wind blows in and puts pressure on rear window

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I agree with @mwilk012

Doors off, top off, and windshield folded down. A lot less resistance.

All kidding aside, its the first vehicle I've had that slows down going down a hill. Not complaining...just interesting.
Yeah but when you get a tailwind, its like a sailboat. LOL

Sponsored

RCH

First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBI 2dr 2.0t, 2014 CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK
My stability/steering issue with my 2018 2 door Rubi when at highway speeds was helped by adjusting my tire pressures. I dropped to 34 PSI cold and my world is a better place. Running stock Rubi wheels with factory 33" tires.

What tire pressure are you running?

v/r rch

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
So I just drove from PA to Florida and let me tell you how when this thing is between 2 vehicles in the middle lane or next to a big ass truck on the highway with less than a half tank of gas it feels like I’m blowing away or it’s swerving ...Maybe it was the open Florida roads and the wind also but it was actually kinda scary lol...Seemed to drive way better when I kept more weight in the Jeep when the tank was full ..Does that seem right or seem like a wrangler issue?
As a former TJ owner I laugh at you.

IowaRaider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Anyone else also get the corners of their back window lifting and unclipping itself ? Seems to happen when the glass windows are down and wind blows in and puts pressure on rear window
Not since I gave up and stopped clipping them in.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Second and third the comments that a Wrangler is basically like driving a brick. All that wind is hitting basically a flat vertical surface with a lot of area to cover before getting around it. Just cut down on the speed and keep a firm grip on that steering wheel to constantly adjust. I didn't get this issue as much in my Nissan but she had curves, was smaller and lower to the ground. Just hope the wind is pushing you from the back to get those MPGs up.

otter3591

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
So I just drove from PA to Florida and let me tell you how when this thing is between 2 vehicles in the middle lane or next to a big ass truck on the highway with less than a half tank of gas it feels like I’m blowing away or it’s swerving ...Maybe it was the open Florida roads and the wind also but it was actually kinda scary lol...Seemed to drive way better when I kept more weight in the Jeep when the tank was full ..Does that seem right or seem like a wrangler issue?
In any high profile vehicle when really windy and feeling pushed around roll down each window about 5 inches, reduces the push from the wind ,makes you feel safer and works!

Sponsored

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon
ABSOLUTELY A JEEP THING!!!!
Hold on and enjoy the ride..:jk::rock::flag:
I am with you on this and this thread cracks me up. I don’t know if people didn’t test drive before buying their jeep but I did so I knew what I was getting when I bought it. I knew about the wind and the wind noise and I don’t mind at all it is exactly what you said “ IT’S A JEEP THING” I wouldn’t trade my Rubicon for anything.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Lol, I had an '08 element! All of the brick shape with 1000 lbs less ballast. I really hated driving that thing over the skyway, or really on any road over 55.

Shawnslady

First Name
Gloria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 rubicon
I felt the same way when I first got my jeep. I changed the mud terrains it had on for all terrains with a PSI of 37 and I feel more stable. More time behind the wheel helped me too.

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Throw a full set of skids underneath, that'll give you an extra 120-200 lbs depending on what material you go with, that could help!
Oh please,

yeah let's add hundreds of pounds worth of dead weight to the thing because the wind tosses you around a little.

Come on people...be serious

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Do upgraded steering stabilizers help with this, or no?
YES!

Get your self a HIGH quality stabilizer and yes absolutely it not only helps but cures the issue

I'm lifted 2", 35's with Falcon adj stabilizer. Drives and tracks better than it did stock.

Anyone will tell you a good stabilizer is worth EVERY cent you pay
Sponsored