Jeep catching wind on highway

LittleG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
So I just drove from PA to Florida and let me tell you how when this thing is between 2 vehicles in the middle lane or next to a big ass truck on the highway with less than a half tank of gas it feels like I’m blowing away or it’s swerving ...Maybe it was the open Florida roads and the wind also but it was actually kinda scary lol...Seemed to drive way better when I kept more weight in the Jeep when the tank was full ..Does that seem right or seem like a wrangler issue?
Sponsored

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
More weight means more for the wind to move, this means a more stable ride. A wrangler could be compared to a large brick when looking at aerodynamics.. it gets blown all over the place.

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
1 gallon of gas = 6.3 lbs so half a tank is roughly 63 lbs assuming 20 gallon tank

Sponsored

Oilslick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Dude, it's hard for me to remember sometimes but the top comes off. It's a horrible road vehicle at interstate speeds,no doubt. When I remove the doors and roof it regains it's credibility ad a good decision. These things are a handful, if I'm short on patients it can be frustrating as a family vehicle on roadtrips. 12k trouble free miles so far though!

OP
OP
LittleG

LittleG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara
Yes family vehicle on long trips it is not ..I had to keep the top up whole time cause of the kids and it was a bit chilly at night ..I definitely woulda had the top down if I was by myself but I’m sure I woulda ate a bunch of North and South Carolina bugs lol.

Sponsored

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I've had my first Jeep for two weeks now, and it is obviously noticeable compared to my last 5 vehicles (Jettas). But when I removed the doors and freedom panels, I didn't even notice anything else other than how cool it was. And when I say cool, I mean it literally. It was 55 degrees here in Wisconsin, so I told my kids to wear sweatshirts, put their hoods on if they had to, and we went for ice cream. Best in-town vehicle trip ever!

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Throw a full set of skids underneath, that'll give you an extra 120-200 lbs depending on what material you go with, that could help!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
We get 20-35mph gust constantly here and yes it moves the Jeep all over the place!
Sponsored