Jeep Capitulates to the Insanity

PyrPatriot

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
nc_oc=AQn-k33gQQltpx9EtrLC3Z7-yCXkTYnoaUO74vMEeLNdQwOi7fWpSxbMmObLJ4NhtPo&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

I mean, they need to get their reputation up after their latest recalls.

Telling people to stay home and not go driving around, to MAYBE save a few lives predisposed to an early death, is the equivalent of telling people to give up their guns to MAYBE stop a few gang bangers killing each other or suicides. Or to stop drinking soda to stop the beetus. Or to drive a Prius to “save the environment”

Worth an edit to address this thread going away from its intended purpose

Is the virus bad? Yes. Is it worth throwing away our liberties, including our freedom to travel down trail or use our Jeeps to drive to homes that we paid for, to states we are taxed in? That is a hard no.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety will get, and deserve, neither. One of the Founding Fathers said that.

And in a further effort to stay on topic: Jeep/FCA is probably gonna try to spin their clutch plate debacle as a positive effort in helping people to social distance by denying use of their vehicle

Which is where things are going: computer/automation controlled populations. Pass a law saying all cars must be self-driving to stop the “epidemic” of car crashes. Then, when your vehicle can be tracked/controlled/disabled remotely, government will simply hit the kill switch and only those wearing the King’s colors or having the appropriate “papers” can travel. Want to go off-roading? Sorry, cant, it’s to combat the “crisis” of the environment being destroyed.

See how a little PR/marketing and acquiescence to tyranny can REALLY turn you into a subject, rather than a Citizen?

And in a government where we consider liquor store and fast food, and abortions as “essential” but churches, cancer treatment, and knee replacements as “elective”, is this “social distancing” and shutting down the economy REALLY about saving lives?

Advertisement

Last edited:

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Rubicon
nc_oc=AQn-k33gQQltpx9EtrLC3Z7-yCXkTYnoaUO74vMEeLNdQwOi7fWpSxbMmObLJ4NhtPo&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

I mean, they need to get their reputation up after their latest recalls.

Telling people to stay home and not go driving around, to MAYBE save a few lives predisposed to an early death, is the equivalent of telling people to give up their guns to MAYBE stop a few gang bangers killing each other or suicides. Or to stop drinking soda to stop the beetus. Or to drive a Prius to “save the environment”
Stay home. Stay safe.
Its not hard. Perfect time to park it and do some upgrades.
We lost a loved one already and knowing he died alone in a cold hospital is heart breaking. Now we anxiously wait on word about a HEALTHY 25 YR OLD COLLEGE GIRL who is in the hospital. No health conditions ever.
But I would love to put the top down and drive along the beach. So. Not. Happening. This is all wayyyy to real for my friends and family.
Be smart be happy be safe.
Jeep just wants attention by promoting stay at home like every other company out there. And jeepers aren't the "stay inside" type, that's for sure!

OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I see no harm in going out on a drive. You dont interact with anyone. It helps you spend that much less time potentially infecting others.

I do not want this to become an argumentative thread on the topic, just a commentary on FCA playing the PC game

OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Stay home. Stay safe.
Its not hard. Perfect time to park it and do some upgrades.
We lost a loved one already and knowing he died alone in a cold hospital is heart breaking. Now we anxiously wait on word about a HEALTHY 25 YR OLD COLLEGE GIRL who is in the hospital. No health conditions ever.
But I would love to put the top down and drive along the beach. So. Not. Happening. This is all wayyyy to real for my friends and family.
Be smart be happy be safe.
Jeep just wants attention by promoting stay at home like every other company out there. And jeepers aren't the "stay inside" type, that's for sure!
I will pray for her recovery. Hang in there

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Rubicon
I see no harm in going out on a drive. You dont interact with anyone. It helps you spend that much less time potentially infecting others.

I do not want this to become an argumentative thread on the topic, just a commentary on FCA playing the PC game
No arguing here :)
Jeep can do no wrong in my eyes.
And I am hella bored of being at home!
So ready for top down in the sun fun!!!!

swozey

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Most people aren't into enjoying their vehicles and use them as point A to B only. Like 90% of normal people out there, I wish I were one of them. I think that's who this ad is targeting more so than the people who get in their jeeps and go drive around aimlessly and never interact with anyone. There are still a lot of people going to 711 and shopping, etc, hopefully it's for necessities like it has been for me. On the flip side, there are also constant EMS/Emergency vehicles on the street dealing with patients in my city so I've been trying to not clog up the roads for them as well.

Also I'm sure you're living the life in Kentucky right now but those of us in the big cities who are ahead by a few weeks due to density all know someone, family or coworkers or someone else in our circles (I have 2 coworkers right now with COVID) who are dealing with it and we help everyone by just staying distant. It isn't political. It isn't hard. Just because govs aren't properly testing people doesn't mean it's not in your neighborhood, though, please be careful and cautious and take this seriously. Kentucky is not at its peak yet. https://www.kentucky.com/news/coronavirus/article241923521.html

Last edited:
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Most people aren't into enjoying their vehicles and use them as point A to B only. Like 90% of normal people out there, I wish I were one of them. I think that's who this ad is targeting more so than the people who get in their jeeps and go drive around aimlessly and never interact with anyone. There are still a lot of people going to 711 and shopping, etc, hopefully it's for necessities like it has been for me. On the flip side, there are also constant EMS/Emergency vehicles on the street dealing with patients in my city so I've been trying to not clog up the roads for them as well.

Also I'm sure you're living the life in Kentucky right now but those of us in the big cities who are ahead by a few weeks due to density all know someone, family or coworkers or someone else in our circles (I have 2 coworkers right now with COVID) who are dealing with it and we help everyone by just staying distant. It isn't political. It isn't hard. Just because govs aren't properly testing people doesn't mean it's not in your neighborhood, though, please be careful and cautious and take this seriously. Kentucky is not at its peak yet. https://www.kentucky.com/news/coronavirus/article241923521.html
I am in KY’s biggest city. 30th largest in America. We are dealing with the tyranny of our Mayor and Governor same as rural KY. Stopping all church services, including drive-in/through types, recording license plate numbers and forcing a 2 week quarantine on anyone caught at a “mass gathering” (defined as any meeting where groups of people gather, of any size. Plus here, a violation carries a class B misdemeanor.

All city parks, many state parks, the Red River Gorge, etc are closed. All that are left are county roads that I would call trails

swozey

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am in KY’s biggest city. 16th largest in America. We are dealing with the tyranny of our Mayor and Governor same as rural KY. Stopping all church services, including drive-in/through types, recording license plate numbers and forcing a 2 week quarantine on anyone caught at a “mass gathering” (defined as any meeting where groups of people gather, of any size. Plus here, a violation carries a class B misdemeanor.
Right, and some of us have been dealing with this for 3-4 weeks because our govts locked down the cities earlier. That also has greatly, GREATLY contributed to ebbing the flow of contagion. Washington is doing far better than NYC because they locked down early (and density differences of course but Seattle was hit hard).

This is far worse than herpes, it's sudden acute respiratory distress and will kill people with underlying issues like obesity (should I look up KYs obesity rate?). If I told you that people going to church could cough some new herpes strain on to you would you still be upset about not going or would you stay away from church until we found a vaccine?

I'm in Colorado. All of our parks are closed and we're stuck inside during the prettiest time of year right now. It's fine. We're all catching up on house projects and chores.

OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
If I told you that people going to church could cough some new herpes strain on to you would you still be upset about not going or would you stay away from church until we found a vaccine?
I would stay home. I would be fine with Church leadership closing the church. I would be ok with the Court calling me to a hearing (remote/phone call) to quarantine me individually. I do not think it appropriate for Government to tell me I HAVE to stay home en blanc. That police would be watching me, arrest me, etc.

H1N1 was way worse at this point, btw.

But back to the salient topic at hand: Jeep PR really could have capitalized on marketing “social distancing” by off roading or overlanding, as Jeep sales are already up due to apocalypse fears. Instead of capitalizing they capitulated

rallydefault

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport
Sure, literally just hopping in your car, going for a drive and not coming into contact with anyone is fine.

But nearly everything else and the spirit of the OP's post is exactly why this pandemic is going to go on for far longer than it needs to. People who can't just be part of the team to save some lives... I don't understand the mindset.

People who can't see further than their own nose just... I can't. I just can't. You want to talk about losing your job? My brother did. My sister did. My wife did. Trust me, I know the pain.

But you people who complain about this "tyranny" are ironically making it harder on yourselves. The more you "rebel" against common sense, the more you prolong the life of this thing. You may have had COVID and didn't even know it. Great. Congratulations. You're young and/or have a great immune system. But guess what? You may have spread it, unknowing, to a dozen other people you came in contact with. Some may get sick, some may not, and some may even die from it. And then those people could have spread it to many multiple other people...

Maybe you live in the middle of the country where it hasn't quite touched yet (that we know of). Congratulations. In your short sight, do you really think it's not coming? Do you want to wait to take measures once it already has a foothold in your community?

Get your selfish, narcissistic heads out of your own trees and try to take a look at the forest for a change. Care about some other people, even if they are old, sick, and/or few in number. Be bigger than yourself.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
What’s ridiculous is not allowing a church to congregate in cars. I’m not overly religious but I am objective. People can go into stores still here in KY, but limited in some places, and they can sit in a drive through for example but can’t stay in their own car... like a drive through? Have they traced to a drive through? Or a church parking transmission back trace? Or a park for that matter? Let’s be rational and analytical. The effort is to SLOW the transmission. I don’t believe I’ve heard anyone say we’re going to realistically stop the spread. Nobody has promised that, for sure. Until a vaccine is developed, this is the truth.

I get it. Some people may not understand cross contamination and the least common denominator might be those who are like that. I don’t see the remote possibility of contamination in my examples that can be substantiated with back tracing.

rallydefault

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport
What’s ridiculous is not allowing a church to congregate in cars. I’m not overly religious but I am objective. People can go into stores still here in KY, but limited in some places, and they can sit in a drive through for example but can’t stay in their own car... like a drive through? Have they traced to a drive through? Or a church parking transmission back trace? Or a park for that matter?

I get it. Some people may not understand cross contamination and the least common denominator might be those who are like that. I don’t see the remote possibility of contamination in my examples that can be substantiated with back tracing.
You are describing exactly why the government had to get involved in the first place. Because if you leave it up to the private sector, businesses and people will have wildly different policies and ways of dealing with this (if at all).

You anti-government people: Do you really trust the private sector to look out for YOU in a situation like this? Take chain restaurants. You really think McDonalds or Chipotle or whatever would shut themselves down if they weren't forced to? Heck no. Sure, some of them may come up with some creative PR/marketing stunts to assure you they were taking steps, limiting people in their stores, etc., but you know what they really care about.

Even take my wife's church. Mostly older people. That pastor was going to keep those people coming in every week unless he was forced by the government to stop (which he eventually was).

Even some of the well-meaning institutions would do nothing or very little if it would put their profits or budget at risk. And that's why, unfortunately, the government has had to step in.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
You are describing exactly why the government had to get involved in the first place. Because if you leave it up to the private sector, businesses and people will have wildly different policies and ways of dealing with this (if at all).

You anti-government people: Do you really trust the private sector to look out for YOU in a situation like this? Take chain restaurants. You really think McDonalds or Chipotle or whatever would shut themselves down if they weren't forced to? Heck no. Sure, some of them may come up with some creative PR/marketing stunts to assure you they were taking steps, limiting people in their stores, etc., but you know what they really care about.

Even take my wife's church. Mostly older people. That pastor was going to keep those people coming in every week unless he was forced by the government to stop (which he eventually was).

Even some of the well-meaning institutions would do nothing or very little if it would put their profits or budget at risk. And that's why, unfortunately, the government has had to step in.
Personal Responsibility. Be Smart. Think for yourself. You are your own protection. At least I am and I look out for my family too.

As to business. Don’t be a patron. At the same time, they are needed and trying to survive. This limited, insufficient, step into handing out loans is unsustainable...as is staying closed. After all this is over, I like money, I need it. I’m going to need to make more of it by reopening and working.

You people? Who here is anti govt? Not even our founding fathers were anti govt.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Personal Responsibility. Be Smart. Think for yourself. You are your own protection. At least I am and I look out for my family too.

As to business. Don’t be a patron. At the same time, they are needed and trying to survive. This limited, insufficient, step into handing out loans is unsustainable...as is staying closed. After all this is over, I like money, I need it. I’m going to need to make more of it by reopening and working.
The entire point is that businesses won't even close down to protect their own employees. This is half the reason people are being told to stay indoors, so that you and I give Billy at 711 who hands us toilet paper so we can survive less of a chance to get infected while he deals with 2000 customers a day walking in to get toilet paper for his $10/hr essential job.