Jeep Buying.....What a pain in the @$$

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
Anyone have any luck buying a Jl under invoice, special order in the Central Florida area., anyone? Anyone? Thinking about the Nashville, TN. under invoice dealership..Anyone buy their JL there? Have cash will travel...Thanks in advance..
Knoxville TN...got 5% below invoice at lenoir city jeep
Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Dealer has to make a little money? Are you kidding me? Do you think the same thing when you buy fuel at $3 a gallon or pay your electric bill or buy groceries?
I don't care if I the dealer makes money or not, but it would bother me to know somebody else paid $1-2k less for the same jeep. If dealers didn't play all the msrp/invoice/holdback games in an effort to get some people into paying msrp, this wouldn't even be an issue.
To be fair, this isn't unique to Jeeps.
I wasn’t kidding, no. Gasoline, electricity and food are not negotiable so I don’t see the correlation when applied to a car purchase.

I seriously doubt that dealer holdback is a term most people who pay full sticker are even familiar with, with the exception of a buyer of a rare car that a buyer feels lucky to get at all. Think GT3 or maybe a Raptor.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I guess shopping for any vehicle can be frustrating, but when spending 40-50K on a vehicle I want to be sure I am getting the best price possible.
I have a local dealer that I have used for my last 3 vehicle purchases. I like them a lot. Great people, not pushy they go the extra mile, but I cannot get them to match the likes of the forum favorites on pricing. If it were close I would just buy from the local guys because they are so good to me.
I found two different deals that I thought were great. One was $12K off of MSRP, just to be told that the company the dealer uses for website content made a "pricing mistake" This mistake was then published to Autotrader, Cars.com, etc. The sales guy told me this happens a lot and is frustrating for him because he will get 50 people like me that call in ready to buy and he has to explain to them how this same mistake keeps happening.
I found another dealer with $7K off of MSRP, which is still about 14%, not bad. But they only offer you that pricing if you are registering the Jeep in Illinois.

Rant Over, thanks for listening.
How can they offer 14% off MSRP only if you register it in IL? That doesn't seem right.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I found another dealer with $7K off of MSRP, which is still about 14%, not bad. But they only offer you that pricing if you are registering the Jeep in Illinois.
How can you register it in Illinois if you live in North Carolina ? Why not register it in Hawaii ?

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I guess shopping for any vehicle can be frustrating, but when spending 40-50K on a vehicle I want to be sure I am getting the best price possible.
I have a local dealer that I have used for my last 3 vehicle purchases. I like them a lot. Great people, not pushy they go the extra mile, but I cannot get them to match the likes of the forum favorites on pricing. If it were close I would just buy from the local guys because they are so good to me.
I found two different deals that I thought were great. One was $12K off of MSRP, just to be told that the company the dealer uses for website content made a "pricing mistake" This mistake was then published to Autotrader, Cars.com, etc. The sales guy told me this happens a lot and is frustrating for him because he will get 50 people like me that call in ready to buy and he has to explain to them how this same mistake keeps happening.

Rant Over, thanks for listening.
I ran into the same thing with all of my local dealers. Even had someone I knew pretty well at one of them. The most any of them would move was $1,500 off MSRP. I gave them every opportunity to just match the quote. No dice, so I bough from Tri-City and saved alot. Oh well, their loss. Save yourself the headache, go buy from Travis and hit the trails!

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
It’s true that there’s additional profit for the dealer below the invoice figure you’ll see, but it’s important to keep in mind that the dealer deserves to make a little bit of profit on a Wrangler. They’re a business, after all- and also factoring into the equation is the fact that the new Wrangler may be the hottest vehicle on the road right now. As a business owner there is hardly anything more annoying than a customer who doesn’t appreciate that you have a family to support- which you do out of your PROFITS. :)

Personally, I’d be very comfortable buying any Wrangler JL at 5% below invoice, as long as you’re getting exacly what you want. If you’re making a couple of consessions (color and options) I’d shoot for 6%-7.5% depending on what you’re giving up.
With shoe on the other foot, is a dealer going to tell a customer he/she is paying too much, given the customer may also have a family to support? Probably not often. A friend of mine and his family are not good hagglers and also are non-confrontational, nice people but they end up paying in some cases way too much on vehicles. The dealers love them of course. Way I look at it, if I can get a good deal, it makes up for the persons who overpay. I would buy your argument more if I knew that other people were not in some cases significantly overpaying when it comes out in the wash.

sobeit69

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Freedom Ed. 2005 Hummer H2 SUT
How can they offer 14% off MSRP only if you register it in IL? That doesn't seem right.
If the dealership he’s talking about in ILLINOIS is Napleton it’s a total sham. I live nearby and was told the prices over the phone and email and even text. I get there, and there is a realtor rebate, military, Uber and disability rebates all include in that 14% off plus they then add back in destination charge, since they also used that in the 14% off. Then to top it off there is a $2500 dealer installed options fee which included nitro filling tires, oil changes, brighter rear tail lights bulbs....haha which is crap.... There was one other guy there when I was arguing about there shady-ness and he drove almost two hours away near Chicago.

cscotty63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Punk'N Rubicon and 1969 Firebird 400
Vehicle Showcase
I ran into the same thing with all of my local dealers. Even had someone I knew pretty well at one of them. The most any of them would move was $1,500 off MSRP. I gave them every opportunity to just match the quote. No dice, so I bough from Tri-City and saved alot. Oh well, their loss. Save yourself the headache, go buy from Travis and hit the trails!
Same thing here, that is also why I am going through Travis at Tri-City!!

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
If the dealership he’s talking about in ILLINOIS is Napleton it’s a total sham. I live nearby and was told the prices over the phone and email and even text. I get there, and there is a realtor rebate, military, Uber and disability rebates all include in that 14% off plus they then add back in destination charge, since they also used that in the 14% off. Then to top it off there is a $2500 dealer installed options fee which included nitro filling tires, oil changes, brighter rear tail lights bulbs....haha which is crap.... There was one other guy there when I was arguing about there shady-ness and he drove almost two hours away near Chicago.
It's amazing that there are still dealers out there that do that. The dealer chain I worked at for a number of years had a bad habit of building vehicles that wouldn't sell. They built several JK8 and 2 Ram Runners back in the day. It took a few years before they were able to sell them all, even with heavy discounts and I know they lost money. The same dealer currently has a 2017 JKUR for sale with 0 miles and built with all Smittybilt parts, asking $55,000. But at the same time, it's unfortunate because there are people out there who don't necessarily know better or any different.

Vawildjeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2 1/2” stage 2 Icon lift 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 20” Fuel Beasts.
Occupation
Business owner
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed a local dealership here has a ‘17 JKU THATS LOADED AS WELL AND ASKING 54k for it. It’s been there at least a year already. Like, discount it already.

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
With shoe on the other foot, is a dealer going to tell a customer he/she is paying too much, given the customer may also have a family to support? Probably not often. A friend of mine and his family are not good hagglers and also are non-confrontational, nice people but they end up paying in some cases way too much on vehicles. The dealers love them of course. Way I look at it, if I can get a good deal, it makes up for the persons who overpay. I would buy your argument more if I knew that other people were not in some cases significantly overpaying when it comes out in the wash.
We all know someone who is happy paying more for a car, or anything really, than we are. And you know what? I bet they’re generally more happy people than us, so the joke is probably on us.

Also, a car has a window sticker MSRP price that the manufacturer sets. From a dealers perspective, that is a fair price to pay for the car. As long as a “lay-down” customer is fine with paying that amount then I don’t see where the dealer has mistreated that person. But I’ll only go up and to the MSRP with my defense of a dealer. If the dealer had additional bs add-ons as well as a financing policy where they’re holding points on an unsuspecting buyer with A-tier credit, I take your side on this.

MAPC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly JK-U, JL-U awaiting production
I noticed a local dealership here has a ‘17 JKU THATS LOADED AS WELL AND ASKING 54k for it. It’s been there at least a year already. Like, discount it already.
They should be discounting that by 20% MIN at this point! WOW. 2 model years and 1 model old!

Martin124

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
$40,000 and 2,000 off msrp and lifetime drivetrain warranty for nothing. How did I do?

20181011_172600.jpg
Sponsored