Jeep Build Priority Phases

TomahawkChop

First Name
Jerid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
So I'm waiting on my '21 Rubicon w/ Eco-Diesel to be built & delivered. Question I have is what do you think the build priorities should be? Most of us aren't rich, I know I'm not being in the military. So we usually build in Phases as we are able to set aside the money. At MOST dropping $2-3K, busy usually around $1k for each Phase of the build.

So of all the things...
-Lift
-Wheels/Tires
-Steering Components
-Axle/Axle Components
-Driveshafts
-Bumpers
-Winch
-Tire Carrier
-Sliders/Step Rail
-Air Compression
-Skids
-Armor
-Exterior Cosmetics
-Interior Cosmetics/Comfort/Function
-...And I'm sure I'm missing some

... What's the recommended order of building? So many of those things intertwine and each of those categories are like mini sub-builds until you get to 100% completion.

For context, I'm looking at building a pretty capable Off-roading Rig that'll also be my Daily and looking at a 3.5" lift and at least starting off with 37's.

What do you think are the immediate must-haves? As in get it installed ASAP? (I'm thinking along the lines of like a Tazer-JL or window tint here)

Thanks ahead for any input!
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Congrats on the new purchase. Seems like you have a good idea of what you want to do and get done.

Priorities vary from person to person and most of us have phased things out.

I have things on my list that I swore were going to be some of the first things that Iā€™d upgrade but after my Jeep arrived, these must haves quickly fell to the bottom of the list.

There are some things that youā€™ll want to do in one sweep and so Iā€™ll address those below:

-Tires, steering, wheels, suspension components, lift kit, tire carrier

-Bumpers, winch, sliders/step, armor, winch, air compressor

- axle components, driveshafts

- Interior upgrades (continuous), exterior upgrades (continuous)

OP
OP
TomahawkChop

TomahawkChop

First Name
Jerid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
Congrats on the new purchase. Seems like you have a good idea of what you want to do and get done.

Priorities vary from person to person and most of us have phased things out.

I have things on my list that I swore were going to be some of the first things that Iā€™d upgrade but after my Jeep arrived, these must haves quickly fell to the bottom of the list.

There are some things that youā€™ll want to do in one sweep and so Iā€™ll address those below:

-Tires, steering, wheels, suspension components, lift kit, tire carrier

-Bumpers, winch, sliders/step, armor, winch, air compressor

- axle components, driveshafts

- Interior upgrades (continuous), exterior upgrades (continuous)
Thanks! Yeah, I have an idea, but this will be my first Jeep Build. Second Jeep, but first build. I got my used '17 JKUR pretty much already built with lift, tires, bumpers, winch, etc. I was a Diesel Mechanic for HMMWV and 7-Tons for my first tour in the Marines before I moved to a different Specialty. So I'm pretty mechanically inclined and looking forward to working on my own rig where I can, but definitely have a lot to learn!

Question for you though...
"I have things on my list that I swore were going to be some of the first things that Iā€™d upgrade but after my Jeep arrived, these must haves quickly fell to the bottom of the list."
...What were these things and why did they fall to the bottom? I'm curious and wouldn't want to make the same mistake.

Last edited:

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My first priority is protection. You can wheel the crap out of a stock Rubicon. That said, I started with real frame mounted rock sliders (LoD Destroyers), next was a FAD skid and steering stabilizer and relocation bracket, and a rear diff skid (all Metalcloak). My next addition will be Metalcloak underbelly skids. I read somewhere that they play nicely with the LoD sliders. After that front bumper, then rear with tire carrier.

Eventually I'll end up on 2.5" lift and then 37's.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Question for you though...
...What were these things and why did they fall to the bottom? I'm curious and wouldn't want to make the same mistake.
Mostly small interior and exterior add ons. Door sill guards, mopar grab handles for my passengers, additional auxiliary lighting, etc.

Having or not having is not a mistake - purchase based on needs and purpose. I lifted mine and was getting the door sills and grab handles for my passengers since itā€™s a big step up for them. Auxiliary lighting was going to be for some of the local trails.

No passengers, no grab handles needed. And the factory LEDs light up the trails that I go on well enough. Itā€™s things like this - learn as you go.

Btw the Rubi is very capable out of the factory. You may find you donā€™t need to swap out to D60ā€˜s front and rear. Or even the driveshafts. Or maybe you do. Itā€™s good to have a list of things that youā€™d like to do but hold off on making any purchases until you get yours and live with it.
Sponsored