Jeep "Build & Price" Not Updated

Weedwacker

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
I realize that the new JL won't be uploaded yet but is there any good reason why the 2018 JK is not on Jeep's "Build & Price" page? We all know that you can go in and order them from the dealer so I don't see any reason why we should not be able to build one out on their webpage. Especially since they have started the build according to their own calendar.

Some of us are still debating about waiting on the JL versus getting the JK. For me the only thing I am truly liking are the spy shots of the interior so far. I am really not liking the hard tops on the JL from what we have gathered so far; I am getting a dual top no matter which way I end up so it does matter to me.

WW
Sponsored

SMYYOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Rubicon
Occupation
Singer of Sentimental Ballads
The Jeep Website is notoriously behind and incorrect. The pricing is never up to date as pricing changes constantly along with lack of options and information. Go to your dealer and they can price it up for you correctly.

snakevsplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
i don't think it's just the jeep website. company lease car system is also missing 2018 JK as well as any version of a Ram truck for a while.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
I realize that the new JL won't be uploaded yet but is there any good reason why the 2018 JK is not on Jeep's "Build & Price" page? We all know that you can go in and order them from the dealer so I don't see any reason why we should not be able to build one out on their webpage. Especially since they have started the build according to their own calendar.
The purpose of the website, and the "build & price", is to sell you a vehicle that's already on a dealer's lot. That's why you'll find that after you complete a "build & price", there is a "search dealer" option, but no "add to cart". ;)

I don't think there are many 2018 JK's, waiting to be adopted and taken home quite yet.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Yes but they should still have those models on the build site. It's not only for in stock vehicles.

Sponsored

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
they don't have it updated yet, but they are working on it. I have checked periodically myself looking for it to be updated for the 2018 JK, and the build and price page today does look different than it was the last couple of times I checked. So hopefully soon. I am surprised it is still showing info on the 2017. This is a major organization. How can you not be updating your public facing website regularly????

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
Well this is the same company who labels the JK as JL in the ordering system :)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yes but they should still have those models on the build site.
But they haven’t in the past at launch either, it’s usually a few weeks after launch that they start showing up in the configurator, I know because my 2015 A-X was a forced purchase at this time of year and the 2016 configurator wasn’t up yet despite 2016s on the lots.

This is the usual process for FCA.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am surprised it is still showing info on the 2017. This is a major organization. How can you not be updating your public facing website regularly????
Yeah, it’s terrible that Wrangler sales have suffered so much due to this oversight for years...

You think the fact that the 2017 just ceased production this past weekend (much later than the summer usual) might have something to do with not advertising on the site to the n00bz that there are 2018s available for order, while 2017s are still enroute to dealerships?

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Yes but they should still have those models on the build site. It's not only for in stock vehicles.
It is only to sell in-stock vehicles (Jeep's marketing decision). That's my point.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I would argue the Jeep site will probably get a general refresh for the Wrangler JL. They aren't going to just update the Build & Price, but probably the entire site itself. I believe they did that for the JK back in the day and more recently for the Cherokee.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, it’s terrible that Wrangler sales have suffered so much due to this oversight for years...

You think the fact that the 2017 just ceased production this past weekend (much later than the summer usual) might have something to do with not advertising on the site to the n00bz that there are 2018s available for order, while 2017s are still enroute to dealerships?
Your first comment may be true, but when u start to revel in your success and start sniffing yourself, that is when you lose your edge and your competition gets you. And with some of the competition coming in the form of the bronco and some other competition, they need to be careful. Or, as the wolf said to Jules and Vincent after they cleaned up marvin's brains but weren't quite in the clear yet in pulp fiction, "let's not start sucking each other's d$&@s quite yet". FCA still has work to do.

And regarding the 2017's just finishing production, that may be true. But do the Walmarts of the world wait for Christmas Eve to put out Christmas trees for sale on their website? Does Macy's wait until Memorial Day to start advertising and selling bathing suits? They can at least get some visuals up there of the 18 jk's and some info on them by now

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or, as the wolf said to Jules and Vincent after they cleaned up marvin's brains but weren't quite in the clear yet in pulp fiction, "let's not start sucking each other's d$&@s quite yet". FCA still has work to do.
Perhaps, but everyone is getting worked up about a website that doesn’t get you a VON, so you can’t order it from the site.
What we need is a little more Focus and to... Be Cool Honey Bunny !

And regarding the 2017's just finishing production, that may be true. But do the Walmarts of the world wait for Christmas Eve to put out Christmas trees for sale on their website? Does Macy's wait until Memorial Day to start advertising and selling bathing suits? They can at least get some visuals up there of the 18 jk's and some info on them by now
You analogy doesn’t work, Walmart isn’t selling Model Year Xmas lights, etc. Items that have a date like phones or expiring products will get maximum exposure / shelf space and discounts to move it ASAP. You can guarantee that if they have 2 pallets of milk with different dates, Walmart is going to put the one with the shortest shelf-life front & centre so they aren’t stuck with product.

For cars, not only is there a mental “newer equals better” barrier to sales (similar to more expensive is better), there is also the concrete value/depreciation of getting an X model year vs a Y. So if there is a 2018 JK Sport on the lot it will be pereceived by some as better than a 2017 JK Sahara/Rubicon. And with all the 2018 JK/JL confusion, that also creates an artificial idea that a 2018 JK is the new refresh, and thus perceived as significanltly different than the 2017.

There is little benefit to update the site well in advance of clearing out inventory in the order/production/delivery pipeline. Once on the lots, then it’s fair game. And to Walt’s point, until there is 2018 models to direct customer to, then you lose one of the primary reasons the site exists.

And whether it was Walmart or Macy’s, they would appreciate the concept of doing something that has meant the most succesful operation in your market segment, and not simply changing for change sake. The Bronco and other pretenders to the throne aren’t a threat. Worry about them, once you can order them on-line, because until then they are as real as the concept vehicles are ‘accurate’ of what people will be buying on a Ford lot.

~edited typo~

Last edited:

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perhaps, but everyone is getting worked up about a website that doesn’t get you a VON, so you can’t order it from the site.
What we need is a little more Focus and to... Be Cool Honey Bunny !

You analogy doesn’t work, Walmart isn’t selling Model Year Xmas lights, etc. Items that have a date like phones or expiring products will get maximum exposure / shelf space and discounts to move it ASAP. You can guarantee that if they have 2 pallets of milk with different dates, Walmart is going to put the one with the shortest shelf-life front & centre so they aren’t stuck with product.

For cars, not only is there a mental “newer equals better” barrier to sales (similar to more expensive is better), there is also the concrete value/depreciation of getting an X model year vs a Y. So if there is a 2018 JK Sport on the lot it will be pereceived by some as better than a 2017 JK Sahara/Rubicon. And with all the 2018 JK/JL confusion, that also creates an artificial idea that a 2018 JK is the new refresh, and thus perceived as significanltly different than the 2017.

There is little benefit to update the site well in advance of clearing out inventory in the order/production/delivery pipeline. Once on the lots, then it’s fair game. And to Walt’s point, until there is 2018 models to direct customer to, then you use once of the primary reasons the site exists.

And whether it was Walmart or Macy’s, they would appreciate the concept of doing something that has meant the most succesful operation in your market segment, and not simply changing for change sake. The Bronco and other pretenders to the throne aren’t a threat. Worry about them, once you can order them on-line, because until then they are as real as the concept vehicles are ‘accurate’ of what people will be buying on a Ford lot.
How sad is it that you talk to me more than my wife does?????

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
That may be but I build then order
Sponsored