JL4Todd

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Oscar Mike - Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
I've spent about $13k in upgrades (tires, wheels, lift, LED Headlights, Bumpers etc...) anyone have any experience on adding coverage to auto insurance policy in the event of a total loss, theft....etc???
Sponsored

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I confirmed with my insurance that as long as I can provide receipts for what I've added, it will all be covered, for no additional premium etc.

Edit for CYA: Always best to check with your own insurance agent to see what they advise. Lots of variables coming together.

Last edited:

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Yeah. Just add on the amount of coverage in "Dollars" you want to your current policy.

My agent wanted an itemized list and value, which I provided.

It's a pretty simple process.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I confirmed with my insurance that as long as I can provide receipts for what I've added, it will all be covered, for no additional premium etc.
That's pretty awesome... no additional premium? I wonder how that gets handled when the time comes where your agent needs to explain the $10k difference in "totaled" cost and the amount of the check he gets to write.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
That's pretty awesome... no additional premium? I wonder how that gets handled when the time comes where your agent needs to explain the $10k difference in "totaled" cost and the amount of the check he gets to write.
They aren't going to cover $10K more in accessories for free. The premium will go up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JL4Todd

JL4Todd

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Oscar Mike - Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
I've spent about $13k in upgrades (tires, wheels, lift, LED Headlights, Bumpers etc...) anyone have any experience on adding coverage to auto insurance policy in the event of a total loss, theft....etc???
I have USAA and they say they will cover UP TO $5,000 - that's not enough and they're saying I can't add additional coverage.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.

Good idea to have them put that in writing. Then store that with your receipts in the basement tucked away behind all the other shit so your wife can't find either.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
They aren't going to cover $10K more in accessories for free. The premium will go up.
I know... mine has gone up on every vehicle I've modded through the years. If an agent is saying no premium increase, then there needs to be something in my hand that says so.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I know... mine has gone up on every vehicle I've modded through the years. If an agent is saying no premium increase, then there needs to be something in my hand that says so.
I have three family members that work in the office, with the office agent being someone very closely related to me. I have it in informal writing, but also don't see them playing games about it. I don't have any huge plans at this time, so I'm not worried about it.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I have three family members that work in the office, with the office agent being someone very closely related to me....
This^

This is great to have on a personal level, but not good advice to throw out there for the forum to read, especially when the OP is asking specifically about covering upgraded components. It's awesome you have a hook-up, but your first reply to the OP didn't mention anything about this personal level of service you have. This is how bad information gets spread around.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I had a Dodge 3500 Dually stolen from my driveway about 10 years ago. The only things I added was a $3500 DVD player/Nav system head unit with a retractable screen and a $3000 Leer camper shell. With receipts they gave me a $350 credit for the head unit and a $100 credit for the shell. They also REALLY lowballed me on the value of the truck.

When I questioned the terrible valuation they told me to find "comps". I could only find 2 that were close in age, one a year newer, one a year older, both with similar mileage. Most duallys are bought to work hard and have high mileage. Their response - those are the asking prices, not the purchase prices... I'm starting to get mad, say some ugly things and the lady says "Well what is a dually?"... That REALLY makes me mad because she's telling me what it's worth and doesn't even know what it is.

At the time I had been with State Farm almost 20 years and I dropped them that summer. In reading and discussing vehicle coverage with subsequent insurance agents, unless they say otherwise, they pay replacement value which is where GAP coverage comes in (covers the gap in what you owe vs what it's worth). If you want it insured for the additional value I think you'd need to add a rider but I'd also wager they'll charge you so much for it you'll think twice about actually doing it.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I have USAA and they say they will cover UP TO $5,000 - that's not enough and they're saying I can't add additional coverage.
Damn, I was planning to call them about the same thing. I guess if this is their policy I'll be dumping my 25 year USAA coverage soon. You know, as soon as they opened up USAA pretty much to the masses it started going downhill.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
At the time I had been with State Farm almost 20 years and I dropped them that summer. In reading and discussing vehicle coverage with subsequent insurance agents, unless they say otherwise, they pay replacement value which is where GAP coverage comes in (covers the gap in what you owe vs what it's worth).
I've found that GAP insurance through my vehicle insurance company is relatively inexpensive, especially compared to what the dealer's F&I office tries to sell it for. My current insurance company offered me 1st-year full MSRP replacement for like $50, so I took that. Only good for 1st year but if my Jeep gets totalled/stolen in first year I get full MSRP back. Seemed worth it for $50 or so. I put enough down that I won't need GAP after the 1st year anyway.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Off topic but insurance related:
We had USAA when we bought our house. The mortgage guy said we could get it cheaper if we used an insurance broker. A side benefit - if you make a claim with a big company they have their own insurance adjusters. Their job is to save the company money. If you make a claim with a small company they use contractors to assess the damage. How do the contractors get paid? By the size of the claim.

Two years ago the house got hit by lightning, contractor guy comes out and along with all the other damaged electronics he includes $7k to repair the roof. I ask him, do I really have to pull all the sheathing off and replace the radiant barrier for two dime size holes? He says no, just replace the shingles. Shingle replacement - $350. The difference essentially covered the deductible.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase