Sponsored

Jeep broken into and valuables stolen

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
This is not about politics. It's about basic human compassion. Yes, I react differently than those that wanted to beat, shoot, kill, and whip him. [over a laptop!]

At the food bank where I worked, we received a large donation from a local pharmaceutical billionaire who, several years later, was indicted for bribing doctors offices to push his opioid product and addicting thousands. These are the true societal bad guys.

It's impossible to work for a social services organization for long and not see things through a different lens.

BTW, kudos to the OP for handling this so level-headedly (is that even a word?).
I respect your opinion and view. I admire and commend people who work in social services. I get some people are more compassionate then others. I can't imagine a world without compassion. Problem is there are some people who view compassion as weakness and take advantage of that. Personally I find it hard to be compassionate towards someone who violates people and their property. One day it's theft and the next day it's a violent crime. Where do you draw the line? I live in a large city and have witnessed and have been the victim one time too many. Everyone has to be resopndsible for their own actions.

Yes, I would help and give a neighbor or stranger in need everything I could. Not so much for the person who habitually prays on other people.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
This is not about politics. It's about basic human compassion. Yes, I react differently than those that wanted to beat, shoot, kill, and whip him. [over a laptop!]

At the food bank where I worked, we received a large donation from a local pharmaceutical billionaire who, several years later, was indicted for bribing doctors offices to push his opioid product and addicting thousands. These are the true societal bad guys.

It's impossible to work for a social services organization for long and not see things through a different lens.

BTW, kudos to the OP for handling this so level-headedly (is that even a word?).
I respect your opinion and view. I admire and commend people who work in social services. I get some people are more compassionate then others. I can't imagine a world without compassion. Problem is there are some people who view compassion as weakness and take advantage of that. Personally I find it hard to be compassionate towards someone who violates people and their property. One day it's theft and the next day it's a violent crime. Where do you draw the line? I live in a large city and have witnessed and have been the victim one time too many. Everyone has to be resopndsible for their own actions.

Yes, I would help and give a neighbor or stranger in need everything I could. Not so much for the person who habitually prays on other people.
Accountability and compassion should both be applied appropriately.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed x 1,000!

I was at a local Quiktrip a few days ago and this older early 50ā€™s lady who looked like she had meth mouth walked up to me and asked me to buy her some groceries.

Presumably I assumed she meant from the convenience store inside the QT so I didnā€™t hesitate to say yes. Now mind you, Iā€™m not a rich man by any stretch of the imagination but I do have compassion in my heart to say yes when there is someone truly in need.

I invited her into the QT and she quickly refused, saying she didnā€™t feel comfortable going inside. Okay, the CoviD19 has you scared, no problem. I asked her what she needs as I would go in and get it for her.

She then told me that every little bit helps. I was then confused and asked her if I could buy her some chips and soda from inside? Again, I am not a rich man at all and thatā€™s what I was willing to buy her.

And thatā€™s when she became incensed and scowled at me, ā€œI need MONEY for... my... groceries!ā€ . I had my hand on my piece out of habit, increased the distance between me and her and told her I donā€™t carry any cash on me.

From inside, I watched her jump into a well cared for Ford Explorer alongside a healthy grown ass, well fed 30 something year old man in the front seat. She made a hasty retreat.

Looks like she was just trying to score money for drugs. :facepalm:
I had something similar happen to me on a few different occasions. A guy was asking for money to buy something to eat outside a restaurant. My friend and I didn't have cash so I ordered a meal to-go for him. I handed it to him as we were leaving. He took the bag and actually said he could also use a pack of cigarettes. Insult to injury. I got into my car and saw him open the bag through the rearview mirror. He tossed out almost everything. He was either very selective, allergic, or was scamming for money. A guy like that deserves no compassion. And he ruins it for someone who really might need help.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I had something similar happen to me on a few different occasions. A guy was asking for money to buy something to eat outside a restaurant. My friend and I didn't have cash so I ordered a meal to-go for him. I handed it to him as we were leaving. He took the bag and actually said he could also use a pack of cigarettes. Insult to injury. I got into my car and saw him open the bag through the rearview mirror. He tossed out almost everything. He was either very selective, allergic, or was scamming for money. A guy like that deserves no compassion. And he ruins it for someone who really might need help.
We used to have a regular client like that at the food bank. He would walk down the middle of our street tossing items that he didn't want over his shoulder. Many of the homeless suffer from mental illness. Sounds like your guy fit into that category. Good for you for trying to help.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
This was many years ago when I was a student in high school. I was in the Valley view mall food court eating a potato. My table was empty. I felt like eating at their spud place so thatā€™s why I was there.

Some dude walks by and puts a piece of paper on my table that says he is deaf and can use as much help as possible. I had $5 on me so I put it on the table next to his paper and slid it towards the end for him.

A few minutes later he comes back to the table, sees the money and his paper, picks up the paper and the five, becomes upset and throws the five dollars back at me. he then grabs my trash that was in the tray and shoves it to the floor. And then he flips the table.

Of course I was stunned and slid my chair all the way back. Mall security rushed him and took him away. I have no idea what set him off but apparently they said he wasnā€™t actually deaf and had been banned from entering the mall due to an existing trespassing order on him.

Crazy world out there, everyone be careful.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here's my story:

I have three kids, 3 years apart. When they were young, we were on our way to one of those retro diner restaurants, and there was a person holding a handwritten sign asking for Greyhound bus fare to go home. He had a missing arm. As we moved towards him in traffic, trying to teach a civics lesson, I offered to give him $10 if the kids would forego milk shakes at the diner - a ten dollar savings to me. It would be "their" donation since they basically funded it. It worked, they were totally excited for the rest of the day.

All was well until, two months later, we went back to the diner. One-armed guy (still) standing on the same corner. Guess he still hadn't collected the bus fare. The kid's got another, less feel-good, but equally important, message.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
I took the time to observe a woman panhandling with a sign at the exit to a local WalMart once. After watching for a few minutes, a man in a car picked her up, then drove to a nearby McDonald's. I engaged them in a brief conversation about where they were from, how much money she was given, and how long she had been standing out there. While she was telling me that she "hadn't made much money today", I did some quick math in my head. She was making over $40 per hour out there, which was more than my hourly wage. I suddenly didn't feel obligated to contribute to their well balanced McDonald's diet.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sorry if I offend anyone but if I found someone in or breaking into my Jeep, they are dead and I do mean Dead. They will not be wounded but at 15 rounds will be used, sorry if its your child that has problems but when you enter someoneā€™s property uninvited there are conquests. I disagree that we are all two mistakes from being one of them. Many of us started with nothing and yet never broke laws or broke into homes and cars. The dirtbags that will not investigate the car break ins are doing this because more of us have decided to fight back and end these assholes.
All this for a property damage crime? And...yes, we are all two or three mistakes from being him.

I volunteer at the Mayo clinic a few times a week - discharging patients by wheelchair. Occasionally we stop by the Mayo pharmacy on the way out. Sometimes patients pick up Oxycontin prescriptions for their pain. Each time I wince because, in many cases, this is where it all begins.

My wife works in a pharmacy and has been held up at gunpoint for Oxi. Thank God there was no vigilante (like you perhaps) with a gun to get my wife shot in the crossfire - there are a lot of those folks in Arizona. I feel nothing but pity for this person. Yes, any of us can fall hard - don't kid yourself.

And your (mistaken) use of the word "conquest" was very Freudian.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
All this for a property damage crime? And...yes, we are all two or three mistakes from being him.

I volunteer at the Mayo clinic a few times a week - discharging patients by wheelchair. Occasionally we stop by the Mayo pharmacy on the way out. Sometimes patients pick up Oxycontin prescriptions for their pain. Each time I wince because, in many cases, this is where it all begins.

My wife works in a pharmacy and has been held up at gunpoint for Oxi. Thank God there was no vigilante (like you perhaps) with a gun to get my wife shot in the crossfire - there are a lot of those folks in Arizona. I feel nothing but pity for this person. Yes, any of us can fall hard - don't kid yourself.

And your (mistaken) use of the word "conquest" was very Freudian.
Consequences that was the word that was supposed to be used however since we have spellcheck and sometimes it does not get the correct word that could not be helped, maybe I shouldā€™ve read it before I sent it. As far as your wife getting caught in the crossfire there would be no crossfire it only takes one bullet from a marksman right between the eyes of one of these nightmares That prey on other people.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took the time to observe a woman panhandling with a sign at the exit to a local WalMart once. After watching for a few minutes, a man in a car picked her up, then drove to a nearby McDonald's. I engaged them in a brief conversation about where they were from, how much money she was given, and how long she had been standing out there. While she was telling me that she "hadn't made much money today", I did some quick math in my head. She was making over $40 per hour out there, which was more than my hourly wage. I suddenly didn't feel obligated to contribute to their well balanced McDonald's diet.
They are at almost every on-ramp entrance and exit downtown Chicago. In front of stores, etc. Some are genuinely in need. Some with mental sickness. Others are just plain scammers. One very memorable one was a woman who claimed she was pregnant and needed money for her, her unborn child, and her sick child in the hospital. She worked the triple play. She had the worlds longest pregnancy. She was pregnant for years.

She would rotate from one place to another. My friend's business was across the street from one of her spots. He watched her on and off for years. It was like a 9-5 job for her. Every morning she parked her car close to my friend's business and he actually would watch her get ready. When she got sloppy you could actually see the tag or corner of the pillow she stuffed under her shirt and coat. She also had a picture of a sick child in a hospital bed she showed everyone. Problem was the picture was from a magazine she cut out.

In my opinion she was right up there with Eddie Murphy in Trading Places.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doubt it, stand your ground here.
You screwed up your stand-my-ground case by posting your "they'd be dead and I mean DEAD. As in, not one, but 15 bullets". That paints you as a hothead with a gun. Prosecutors love to find self-incriminating threads like that.

I'm serious, regardless of our philosophical differences, you need to be careful about stuff like that. We all know that you're just testy on this issue and it's all bluster, but a jury would be hard pressed to take your side.

I'm sorry for baiting you. I just think that the punishment needs to fit the crime.