Sponsored

Jeep broken into and valuables stolen

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
you are allowed to legally keep a firearm in your vehicle as long as it is properly secured.
Sorry you guys have it restricted like that down there. We can keep ours out in the open. In fact until recently keeping a firearm anywhere other than the glovebox was considered “concealed carrying” and without a license to do so made it a misdemeanor so most people 18-20, who are by law not allowed to conceal carry in public despite being able to open carry without a license, have to keep their rifles and handguns out on the seat, where it is easy to steal. We’re working to fix that loophole in rights though
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
To get back on topic:

how sturdy are the locking compartments like the armrest and under the seat? Or behind the seats? They look to withstand the typical smash-and- grab type attempts and under the seat is perfect for keeping an AR15, plate carrier behind the seats

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I lost my wallet once and I was devastated. I also lost my new iPhone once for an hour and couldn’t believe my entire life which was on my phone could be in the hands of somebody else who had access to it. On top of that imagine having my Jeep window smashed in. Drug abuse doesn’t excuse that kind of behavior for me. I feel sorry for the OP, not the jerk who did a smash and grab on him. I do admire your sympathy for him though.
Thank you everyone for your sympathies. I have to admit that reading the comments made my day a little better.
The Jeep is at the repair shop, and as expected, there appears to be parts shortage on the rear-passenger window glass. They quoted me 2 weeks before they can get it in, but I have a feeling it could be longer judging from some of the past experiences by members on this forum.
Meanwhile they will go ahead with body paint and interior repairs first.
I was feeling pretty down over the weekend, I probably would have been ok if it were just the monetary loss, but there were items of sentimental value in there that the thief also stole that really made me upset. But I really wished the thief would at least return the memorabilia of me and my girlfriend from various trips and adventures we had together. Those are priceless for me.

I sort of low-key hoped that the thief had just a glimmer of remorse and return those items including my IDs since he has my address after all.

Unfortunately, it didn't happen.

Last edited:

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
@Arterius2

Sorry to hear this... man people can be a-holes sometimes... your thief was pretty brazen though as I am sure everywhere they used your cards has video surveillance...

My last Jeep was broken into outside of a bowling alley and they cleaned it out... including the back seat... Im thinking that was mainly because there were amps bolted to the bottom of it and it was the quickest way to grab them. It was parked under a light and in an incredibly busy area.

Hopefully your insurance company treats you well... mine (Geico at the time) ended up paying for most of the damage but it took forever and I had to go through TONS of paperwork...

Good luck...

Last edited:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Get used to it many cities like here in Seattle the Mayor has told the police NOT to investigate property crimes anymore, Seems to be a Demorat mayor thing in many cities now. SO the tweekers and gang bangers have free range

Sponsored

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Get used to it many cities like here in Seattle the Mayor has told the police NOT to investigate property crimes anymore, Seems to be a Demorat mayor thing in many cities now. SO the tweekers and gang bangers have free range
That also appears to be the sentiment I got from the police department when I reported the incident.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
That also appears to be the sentiment I got from the police department when I reported the incident.
It is going to get much worse before it gets better. I bet if they prosecuted more property crimes the homeless population would likely also shrink, this just makes it easy for them...

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Sad to hear about this disappointing situation for Jerry. This situation is especially bad in California because there is a loophole in state law that almost prevents police and prosecutors from prosecuting auto break-ins. In December San Francisco reported over 70 break ins per day. Other cities like Seattle are experiencing so many, the mayor is directing police to not investigate them. There is a fundamental crisis in our society that allows for this to happen. It doesn't sound like there is any resolution soon.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
My JL was broken into. And the thief only took some gloves, my owner’s manual, and my purchase agreement and warranty papers. The following day I was dreaming and pictured the thief driving away and throwing all the items without value...out of his window. My son and I returned to the scene of the crime and imagined we were the thief.....followed our instincts and we located three separate spots where the thief threw out the items that were no value to him. I recovered everything except my owners manual, my gloves and the Jeep owners manual case. “Jeep Cares” sent me a new owners manual and I bought new gloves.
Unique collision Tomball, Texas replaced my drivers door, my rear leather seat and made my JL “NEW” again. Big thanks to them and progressive insurance.

Good luck

Sponsored

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
The loophole, in CA, is caused by the definition of Burglary in Penal Code 459, which in the case of autos states "entry to a locked vehicle...".

This has been on the books since the introduction of Penal Code 459 and it is actually state Democrats who have introduced a bill to close the loophole this year.

If we are looking to assign blame for exploitation of the loophole to the degree that prosecutors have just thrown up their hands...because they lose the cases...blame the lawyers as usual.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
My JL was broken into. And the thief...Good luck
You left out the part where you found the thief, beat them so hard that it literally broke them in half. You left them bleeding internally, naked and hemorrhaging in pain.

All of that for stealing gloves, warranty papers and the owner’s manual. No one steals warranty papers OR the owner’s manual dammit!!!!

The loss of the gloves were a necessary casualty. :giggle:

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Sorry if I offend anyone but if I found someone in or breaking into my Jeep, they are dead and I do mean Dead. They will not be wounded but at 15 rounds will be used, sorry if its your child that has problems but when you enter someone’s property uninvited there are conquests. I disagree that we are all two mistakes from being one of them. Many of us started with nothing and yet never broke laws or broke into homes and cars. The dirtbags that will not investigate the car break ins are doing this because more of us have decided to fight back and end these assholes.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius