First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Today my 2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara was parked in my driveway and I wanted to move it to wash the Jeep. I started it and put it into reverse and the center display said "AutoPark engaged move shift lever to park and then to the gear". I did this 3 or 4 times and it wouldn't go into reverse. I turned it off and restarted it and it was just the same. It would go into drive, but I had to back up. I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything about AutoPark. I called the Jeep helpline and evidently, they didn't know much about it either as I kept being put on hold and I gave up with them. I finally googled the problem and up popped a thread on an owner blog about the door being closed and the seat belt fastened to stop the AutoPark. I did that and the jeep went into reverse and I washed it. Afterwards, I wanted to recreate the problem so I started the Jeep with no seatbelts fastened and the driver's door opened and it went into gear just fine.
The Bottom line is that I have no idea how AutoPark works, what starts it and what stops it. The manual is no help and so far FCA Jeep is no help. Any constructive help would be appreciated.
Regards; George
Sponsored

marek

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Wrangler Moab 03 Mercedes SL 500
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Nanny State. Auto Park is supposed to keep you from running yourself over by accident. All it really does is make your Jeep immobile when you need it to move....and, as you're finding out, there's no real rhyme or reason to it. It works when it wants to.
I noticed that OP was shifting into reverse when autopark engaged and into drive when it did not engage.
Just an observation.

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler 2dr
Mine does that when the door is open. I assume if the door is unplugged it doesn’t do it. My Pacifica would auto engage the park brake if I tried to back up with the door open but I could override it.

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Nanny State. Auto Park is supposed to keep you from running yourself over by accident. All it really does is make your Jeep immobile when you need it to move....and, as you're finding out, there's no real rhyme or reason to it. It works when it wants to.
Ours has done it in both D and R.
Hey Sean, Total thread hijack that I won't keep going, but really nice Elise! I come from a die-hard Lotus family, just sold my mint and modified Turbo Esprit SE...regretting that move.

....anyways, back to the topic.

Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
This evidently got added to my RAM in a software update. Noticed last night that I now have to close the door to back the truck up a couple of inches to hitch the trailer. Kind of a pain, they really should let it move a foot or two or you know use that sensor in the drivers seat to detect that you are still sitting there...

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
Love mine...it's the factory SC.

What do you think of the Evija? At 2M pounds....sticker shock is an understatement...but 2K HP in an all electric is going to be revolutionary.
Hate the back, love the rest, I have not yet bonded with the idea of electric cars....I'll burn gas until they tell me I can't!

OP
OP

GDPirie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Retired
I did finally find a writeup about AutoPark in the Owners Manual under Starting and Operating. Nothing about AutoPark in the Index. There are 5 conditions that all have to be met that the vehicle WILL go into AutoPark. From there on there are many combinations where it MAY or MAY NOT go into AutoPark. Evidently, the Manual Tech Writer is not quite sure either. Sounds like a real world example of fuzzy logic. I would like to see a logic decision tree is there is one. Hint Hint Jeep Cares.
Regards; George

dks0401

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Today my 2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara was parked in my driveway and I wanted to move it to wash the Jeep. I started it and put it into reverse and the center display said "AutoPark engaged move shift lever to park and then to the gear". I did this 3 or 4 times and it wouldn't go into reverse. I turned it off and restarted it and it was just the same. It would go into drive, but I had to back up. I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything about AutoPark. I called the Jeep helpline and evidently, they didn't know much about it either as I kept being put on hold and I gave up with them. I finally googled the problem and up popped a thread on an owner blog about the door being closed and the seat belt fastened to stop the AutoPark. I did that and the jeep went into reverse and I washed it. Afterwards, I wanted to recreate the problem so I started the Jeep with no seatbelts fastened and the driver's door opened and it went into gear just fine.
The Bottom line is that I have no idea how AutoPark works, what starts it and what stops it. The manual is no help and so far FCA Jeep is no help. Any constructive help would be appreciated.
Regards; George

dks0401

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I experience the same thing with my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I get in, push the start button and shift it into drive or reverse and it jumps back into park. The AutoPark engaged message comes on. I do not have any doors open and it will randomly do it even if my seat belt is buckled.
I found a video that said that it will automatically reset itself after 30 minutes or you can manually shut off the ACC to off. Not sure how to do that. It also said that you could shift it into Low and that would take it out of ACC mode. I haven't had to try that yet, but if/when I do, will let you know if it works.
If Jeep cant find the problem they need to shorten the rest time from 30 minutes to something like 1 minute.
Sponsored