Parkers39

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
It was part of the advertised upgraded infotainment package. They did charge for it. And people have already paid for it.
See - this is how companies trick you. It was a "feature of" the infotainment package. That's to say it was "in addition to" the infotainment package. Thew infotainment has physical upgrades and those upgrades did not change their price after the announced exclusion of the off road features. So, therefore, FCA will defend that the software was a free feature and the added cost of the infotainment package was based on physical upgrades and not the software add-ons.
Sponsored

Parkers39

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
If this is a Software issue doesn't that imply it can be added later ? Perhaps some "bugs" have to be excised , and it will be added as a Software update, retroactively
Just guessing here - but I think the infotainment system is severely under-powered and the addition of the off road features was causing it to crash or otherwise perform below spec. So Jeep is covering its ass by saying the features are not and will not be available on UConnect going forward. But I would put my money on the fact that they work that software down to its base parts and eventually launch it on the '18 JLs. they just can't say they will definitely do that because then they will have to set benchmarks with the FTC on development and delivery.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Just guessing here - but I think the infotainment system is severely under-powered and the addition of the off road features was causing it to crash or otherwise perform below spec. So Jeep is covering its ass by saying the features are not and will not be available on UConnect going forward. But I would put my money on the fact that they work that software down to its base parts and eventually launch it on the '18 JLs. they just can't say they will definitely do that because then they will have to set benchmarks with the FTC on development and delivery.
Then why is it still on the Grand Cherokee and other folks Jeeps?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I understand your frustration, but the fact is they can change things any time. The first page of the manual that you posted says at the top "Off road pages - IF EQUIPPED"
Flux Post.JPG

This is my best trolling work folks. If you don't like it we can't be friends. ↴ :giggle:

Last edited:

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR StingGray
I know this isn't the same kind of comparison - but video games do this all the time. They sell downloadable content (DLC) in addition to the base-level game. The DLC may be advertised and used to help sell units, but if the game didn't make enough money to justify the added production costs, they can cancel the plans for the DLC and not face any legal recourse. This is because you paid an amount for the base-level game, NOT the game + DLC.

Rule of thumb - when approaching any purchase (be it a $30 video game or a $45,000 Wrangler) know that you are only guaranteed the items included at time of purchase. Any future plans, add-ons, accessories, or software patches aren't guaranteed, even if advertised.
It’s not an add on. It was advertised as being part of the infotainment. And its there until the uconnect is activated. It’s nothing like DLC. It would be like if I buy call of duty and start playing with the Mp16 only for them to delete it in an update and tell me to check back next year. Video games are a terrible analogy for this situation...

Sponsored

Parkers39

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not an add on. It was advertised as being part of the infotainment. And its there until the uconnect is activated. It’s nothing like DLC. It would be like if I buy call of duty and start playing with the Mp16 only for them to delete it in an update and tell me to check back next year. Video games are a terrible analogy for this situation...
It wasn't a terrible analogy until you made it a terrible analogy. My statement holds water. It's a "future feature" and, at present, there is no proof of the feature working on a UConnect prior to this announcement. If the feature was live, was used as part of an upgrade sales pitch, and was later revoked, then that is illegal. That would be paying for something and then having it revoked (your analogy). However, if the feature were never live and wasn't specifically sold at a separate cost (the Uconnect price has not dropped since the announcement), then it's very much like the DLC analogy I made initially.

Lets say I'm trying to make software that syncs uconnect with a GoPro. I can tell you it's a future initiative and you might buy the uconnect infotainment package as result of that initiative, but if I learn it's not possible or there are restrictions preventing me from completing the task, I can cancel that initiative without penalty. It's fine print marketing and it happens, literally, all the time. Don't be mad at me because just I know how the laws work.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
It wasn't a terrible analogy until you made it a terrible analogy. My statement holds water. It's a "future feature" and, at present, there is no proof of the feature working on a UConnect prior to this announcement. If the feature was live, was used as part of an upgrade sales pitch, and was later revoked, then that is illegal. That would be paying for something and then having it revoked (your analogy). However, if the feature were never live and wasn't specifically sold at a separate cost (the Uconnect price has not dropped since the announcement), then it's very much like the DLC analogy I made initially.

Lets say I'm trying to make software that syncs uconnect with a GoPro. I can tell you it's a future initiative and you might buy the uconnect infotainment package as result of that initiative, but if I learn it's not possible or there are restrictions preventing me from completing the task, I can cancel that initiative without penalty. It's fine print marketing and it happens, literally, all the time. Don't be mad at me because just I know how the laws work.
It's been working on GC's for a couple years now and I've posted photos of it working *today* on a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL on the Jeep Cares thread.

Zoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Have to get my 2 cents in here. Kinda long post.

Regardless of the utility of the off road pages, it was something my kids were looking forward to having, and I was happy to have something to “video game-ise” the 53k rubicon I ordered so my kids could relate easier to a hobby I really love (getting off the beaten path).

I’ve had 2 JKUs and buy one about every 2-3years. Up until now I really thought this was a different kind of car company. Now I see the only thing that makes the Jeep community different is the owners, not the company. Too bad. I expected more, not because they should, but because I thought they wanted to be different, better than the rest.

Really bummed over this. Might just drive it straight to a ford dealer and get a raptor unless they do something substantial to make up for the loss. The appearance package for 3 years might do it since I replaced the windshields in my JKUs about every year or so.

LOL my kids begged me to get a raptor this time but I was like “no, you’ll love this new rubicon. It has everything”. Now it doesn’t even have what they promised when I ordered it.

...just saying.

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep has ONE Owner's Manual to cover all Wranglers. So when you place an order for an option that specifically states it INCLUDES Off-Road Pages, then your Wrangler is equipped with it. Don't try sticking up for Jeep for this shit situation.
I'm not sticking up for Jeep on this one. I think it should be included, and fully believe that it will be fixed in a future update. If it is a software issue, which it seems to be, the only reason it would work on a '19 model and not an '18 model would be a hardware change in the head unit they use next year.

My original post was just trying to clarify that's it's not something they HAVE to do.

Sponsored

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR StingGray

Dude do some research before you call me out. People had it when the Jeeps first arrived only to have it taken off after the activation update.

Here is a guy who still has it.
https://[Banned Site]/showthread.php?809-Off-Road-Pages&p=9296&viewfull=1#post9296

I’m not mad at you, I just feel you dont understand the entire situation.

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT

Jeep clearly stated the diesel was 2019, and the electric was 2020, etc... but the off road pages were on the website, sales info, road shows etc. there was no reason to think it wouldn't be included with the 2018. A $50 video game is a bad analogy to a $50K automobile. Maybe thats how things work in the video game business, but I'm a software systems developer in the auto industry and in my line of work we would be out of business if we didn't deliver on a feature.

What are they going to do next? sneak in a price increase inside the destination charge?......oops .my bad they already did that.

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
OP - you may want to put in an edit clarifying this only affects the UCONNECT screen and that the clinometer and other offroad features are still accessible int he gauge cluster.
The "Off Road Pages" are specifically in the Uconnect stereo display.

But yeah, I'll throw a clarification in there for those that don't know

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
How could it be underpowered? It is the latest and greatest version and it runs these pages on the Jeep Cheokee and there are similar pages on the Challenger and Chargers too for their race settings.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Car and Driver, November 2017

"In addition to all the new hardware, it appears the march of technology—not to mention a few creature comforts—has finally reached the Wrangler. The standard infotainment setup is a Uconnect 3 system with a 5.0-inch touchscreen; the Technology Group brings a Uconnect 4 setup with a 7.0-inch touchscreen as well as a 7.0-inch instrument-cluster display, satellite radio, and dual-zone automatic climate control; the Infotainment Group ups the ante to an 8.4-inch touchscreen with navigation, an electrochromic rearview mirror, and nine-speaker premium audio. The two larger touchscreens offer Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality; Jeep’s Off Road Pages also will be available to monitor the status of the transfer case and the vehicle’s pitch and roll angles, among other vital statistics. A six-way manually adjustable driver’s seat with adjustable lumbar is standard (the passenger seat adjusts only four ways), as is a tilting and telescoping steering column."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2...-unveiled-all-the-details-all-the-photos-news
Sponsored