Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
OR

Bestop recognized that being able to have their insanely popular Sunrider product available right there on the Jeep "Build and Price" tool, so that it's a part of the "obvious purchase path" for new buyers, is a HUGE opportunity to exponentially increase sales, and they jumped at it.

Think of how many dealer inventory orders are likely to have this, especially in areas like Florida, SoCal, etc.

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if the Sunrider became the default for Hard Top purchases in the next few years.

maybe...but stellantis has a rep for squeezing the aftermarket, and Bestop liking your post, given the compromising relationship they are in with Stellantis, sadly, means nothing.

Bestop could have initiated the arrangement or they could have been approached by Stellantis, and in either case squeezed Bestop (or not.)

Given what Stellantis is selling it for, I think Bestop dealers may have just been thrown under the bus. Something tells me that these dealers aren't get it at Stellantis' lower price--and maybe, given Stellantis' abilty to move Bestop product, maybe dealers shouldn't.

Show me how Stellantis gives you a credit for giving back to them the Freedom Panels in exchange for accepting the Bestop Sunrider, not unlike how any Stellantis WRangler top, other than the Basic soft top has its cost subsidized by Stellantis because you are giving back to Stellantis the basic soft top to use in another rig's build, and I'm apt to be more convinced that this is a deal of equals.

Until such time, Stellantis is bigger than Bestop and I've just been around the block too many times in life to think that Stellantis isn't using that to their advantage--if not exercising anti-trust power in doing so.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope it's a profitable venture for both companies.

In the meantime, get someone from Bolt to speak to you off the record about how Stellantis squeezed them on the matching key hood lock.

How Mopar's product was going to look and function, how Bolt's was going to look and function....Stellantis dragged this on to the point where Chinese knockoffs where being sold on ebay and Bolt patents infringed upon, motivating Bolt to make concessions.

And Bolt hardly is the only vendor. You can't tell me how Stellantis cares for an aftermarket when they force every (real) roof rack maker, who attaches to the cowl and not the rain gutters, to have to redesign their wares for the 4xe and its cowl based recharging location....as if Stellantis couldn't have put the charing port somewhere else.

No worries, some aftermarket vendor will come up with a solution to relocation this port, that if popular enough, Stellantis will squeeze them to sell.

One of the things that makes the Wrangler great is its aftermarket. It feeds families. If you care about them then use your money to promote win-win situations between Stellantis and its vendors.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Yeah, definitely an unmapped fork in the road, with no clear indication of where it'll lead. Either it's a big contract that will spur growth in manufacturing and availability to all Bestop vendors, or the Jeep factory will monopolize the products and all other vendors will be on a seemingly forever backorder.

My companies product is strictly kept out of the big box stores. I only allow smaller privately owned businesses to become registered retailers. Once registered, the area around each of those companies is protected for them, meaning I won't allow another company to register if they are in too close of proximity. First come, first serve type of deal. Also, as the only wholesale supplier, I don't sell to the general public because inevitably my customers customers will migrate to me for a lower price. Most wholesalers don't do that, but I firmly believe in everyone getting to eat and that no one dips their bread in anyone else's gravy.

This doesn't get lost on my retail network, and coupled to a reputable product, the result is a very loyal network that's proud to continually spread word and praise. Every consecutive season, my outbound volume increases by a considerable amount.

I'd rather burn bright enough to clearly see for a long time, than to burn bright enough to be seen from space for a short spell.

Apologies for that long commercial break. I may leave work at the end of the day, but work never fully leaves my mind. Back to regularly scheduled programming.

I've always liked the idea of the Sunrider, but the occasional fitment issues read here have kept me from plunking down on it. I've also always liked the look of the fastback top, but would miss the cargo airspace too much. Personally, I prefer the original NX over the newer Ultra, because I don't have rear seat passengers often enough to care about folding it all the way back and it can't be done on the fly from the drivers position. Also, safari mode looks cooler, IMHO, than folded all the way back.
a) thanks for explaining it
b) Your a class act Mike in the way you run your company.....

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
OR

Bestop recognized that being able to have their insanely popular Sunrider product available right there on the Jeep "Build and Price" tool, so that it's a part of the "obvious purchase path" for new buyers, is a HUGE opportunity to exponentially increase sales, and they jumped at it.

Think of how many dealer inventory orders are likely to have this, especially in areas like Florida, SoCal, etc.

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if the Sunrider became the default for Hard Top purchases in the next few years.
I'm in Michigan and I love it. One of the reasons I don't like a full soft top (on Wranglers always anyway) is that the back window needs all kinds of care during the winter when snow, salt & road grime gets all over it. With the hard top you have your washer & wiper to take care of you. The convenience of flipping back the sunrider in a few seconds vs removing the Freedom Panels is incredible.

I agree with your point about it becoming more common in the future. I think many people who buy Jeeps don't check out a lot of aftermarket parts. Seeing it on Build and Price may lead to increased sales, which would be good for Jeep and Bestop.

Last edited:

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Question on how this works when you take the hard top off. Does it just pop right off or more complicated?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Question on how this works when you take the hard top off. Does it just pop right off or more complicated?
@dalema

If you have the Sunrider installed, you would remove it before you remove the hard top.

Removing the Sunrider will take say 10 min. There are 6 torx bolts you remove and then you lift the SR off. Really easy to do. SR weighs approx. 38#.

After you put the hard top back on, it takes another 10 min. to bolt the SR for JL Hard top back on.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm convinced that it will never see the light of day at this point.

It was teased in May 2019, and they side step most of the questions about it now.

I would love for it to come to market as my wife will not ride in the jeep without a shade and I would like to run without a shade in the evenings when the sun is low.
Actually, this opens the flood gates for these tops, so I think it increases the odds of getting the sun shade. Bigger market = more $$$ to be made. It gives more justification for product development resources to be allocated to developing it. And the way this is designed, the development should be quick and relatively easy. Remember, like every other business, @Bestop has been slowed tremendously by issues related to the pandemic. Making it harder on them is the fact their business is BOOMING right now. When resources are limited, you point them to the areas where they generate the most revenue. Bigger market equals more revenue. That makes a better business case for developing and producing the sun shade than it was before this came to be.

So, @Bestop do you hear us? Now that the market is bigger, I am making the business case to proceed with development and production of the retractable sun shade for the Sunrider for Hard Top, ASAP!

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Announces New Sunrider Flip Top for Hardtop; Innovative Feature Available Now on Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator Models 1626361324204

Reactions: DC3

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@dalema

If you have the Sunrider installed, you would remove it before you remove the hard top.

Removing the Sunrider will take say 10 min. There are 6 torx bolts you remove and then you lift the SR off. Really easy to do. SR weighs approx. 38#.

After you put the hard top back on, it takes another 10 min. to bolt the SR for JL Hard top back on.
Removing the Sunrider for Hard Top on the JL is MUCH easier than the JK version, too. I have both. I never remove it from the JK, for that reason. The JL is a piece of cake.

Hamm3r

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Accord, 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid
Removing the Sunrider for Hard Top on the JL is MUCH easier than the JK version, too. I have both. I never remove it from the JK, for that reason. The JL is a piece of cake.
This may be silly question but do you have to have the hard top on to use the flip top? In other words, can you attach flip top and ride semi-topless?
I'm thinking of using flip top for front seat shade if needed.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This may be silly question but do you have to have the hard top on to use the flip top? In other words, can you attach flip top and ride semi-topless?
I'm thinking of using flip top for front seat shade if needed.
I think you have to have it, but there could possibly be a way to secure the back of it without the hard top. I'd have to look. But that anchor point at the rear center is pretty important when you are driving at speed, I would think.

Hamm3r

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Accord, 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid
I think you have to have it, but there could possibly be a way to secure the back of it without the hard top. I'd have to look. But that anchor point at the rear center is pretty important when you are driving at speed, I would think.
Thanks DanW. I kinda thought the hard top is used as a base underlayment but would be curious if there was a small spacer-like substitute.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
"With this innovative new feature, our passionate owners will have yet another way to enhance their open-air experience.”
It has been out for many years.
“We specifically developed the new Sunrider Flip Top for Hardtop for Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator owners who want to quickly and easily embrace the outdoors,”
No you didnt. Bestop did. but whatever.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Actually, this opens the flood gates for these tops, so I think it increases the odds of getting the sun shade. Bigger market = more $$$ to be made. It gives more justification for product development resources to be allocated to developing it. And the way this is designed, the development should be quick and relatively easy. Remember, like every other business, @Bestop has been slowed tremendously by issues related to the pandemic. Making it harder on them is the fact their business is BOOMING right now. When resources are limited, you point them to the areas where they generate the most revenue. Bigger market equals more revenue. That makes a better business case for developing and producing the sun shade than it was before this came to be.

So, @Bestop do you hear us? Now that the market is bigger, I am making the business case to proceed with development and production of the retractable sun shade for the Sunrider for Hard Top, ASAP!
I hear you. We haven't forgotten about it. When it is available it will be my absolute pleasure to announce it and you guys will be among the first to hear.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
@dalema

Thanks!
Sponsored