Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Seems like everyone and their grandma is rolling out their own proprietary charging solutions.
I'd say this is one of those times where the Goberment needs to step in and stop this proprietary shit.

Sure, I can see why it would be good for Tesla to have a charging network which only works with their cars, thus enticing consumers to buy from them to avoid the risk of no chargers.
This is not good for anyone else though.
Can you imagine a situation like that for gasoline? Like Shell gas only works for Ford and PB works for Jeep?
Then you are hunting around on fumes trying to locate a compatible gas station? It's nonsense.

To top it off, there is a big problem in general with charging. Available power.
The grid is only able to deliver a finite amount of power. So, let's say Telsa rushes out and builds a super mega charging station in BFE, just off highway 80. That is likely already the most juice the power company can deliver; so if someone else wants to put up a charging station, they need to figure out a way to get the additional power. Or, pay an ridiculous amount to have additional capacity brought it.
Why should Tesla owners be the only ones who get access to that existing infrastructure? Why should an Electric Jeep be barred from buying the service? It's just electricity. A simple adapter for the plug is all you need. It's not like one maker has special electricity.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Announces Jeep 4xe Charging Network 1617180078037
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

this is great until they see the cost or theft. charging stations need copper to get power from here to there. well out here in CA fools are dumb enought to cut the wire on the underground street lights live and pull it out for scrap money. I dont see how they're going to protect thieves from cutting and taking this stuff. I hate to be negative but it would suck to plan a huge trip with your charge stations at the TH and get there and you only have a few miles left and the cable is gone
-_-. people suck. Still amazing that jeep is doing this.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
n 3 years a solid state battery will fully charge in 15 mins or less. I am looking forward to it and say good bye to smelly gas 🙂 !
I truly hope you're correct, but I doubt that will be anywhere near affordable. A $100,000 battery doesn't do much good.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Jokes aside, I am surprised that all of you Jeep nerds seem so knowledgeable about automotive tech and yet completely oblivious of the rapid advances in battery and charging technology. In 3 years a solid state battery will fully charge in 15 mins or less. I am looking forward to it and say good bye to smelly gas 🙂 !
Battery technology doesn't mean anything if they neuter the charger.

this is great until they see the cost or theft. charging stations need copper to get power from here to there.
They could wire it with aluminum. Wouldn't stop all the theft attempts, but it would save these from being repeatedly targeted by thieves.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

They could wire it with aluminum. Wouldn't stop all the theft attempts, but it would save these from being repeatedly targeted by thieves.
that's true. I was thinking it could have a solenoid locked cage that hides the hose until someone with the app or pre pays which ever it opens up

Sponsored

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
that's true. I was thinking it could have a solenoid locked cage that hides the hose until someone with the app or pre pays which ever it opens up
kind of like a gas station.... pump doesn’t work until you pay ( well most gas pumps) no need to reinvent the wheel here. No need to make things more complicated than they already are.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Less than what it'd take to ship a container ship of crude from your backyard to the refinery and back to the gas station 😂 !

Jokes aside, I am surprised that all of you Jeep nerds seem so knowledgeable about automotive tech and yet completely oblivious of the rapid advances in battery and charging technology. In 3 years a solid state battery will fully charge in 15 mins or less. I am looking forward to it and say good bye to smelly gas 🙂 !
They said that 3 years ago. 😂😂😂

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
My brother has a Tesla. Has “ludicrous” mode 0-60 in 2.9 seconds lol.
Said the charging stations have cameras. He said Tesla monitors their charging stations. If someone sits there too long after a charge or if a non-electric vehicle blocks one of the charging ports, Tesla will send a tow truck.
Jeep will probably do the same and protect their investment.

sethz

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe
Those things should be fixable with a firmware upgrade or so I'd hope if they did it right ....like Tesla does. Happy to pay 25 cents extra for that upgrade :) !

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Those things should be fixable with a firmware upgrade or so I'd hope if they did it right ....like Tesla does. Happy to pay 25 cents extra for that upgrade :) !
It might be a hardware issue, like the wire isn't large enough or the components aren't rated over a specific voltage. I know Tesla has been able to speed up charging with software updates, but I believe those are at a much different scale and there are more settings they can tweak (I believe they optimized the battery cooling cycle IIRC).

Have you ever tried to charge an iPad with an iPhone charger? No amount of firmware changes will help if the hardware is the limiting factor and no software is involved.

sethz

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe
It might be a hardware issue, like the wire isn't large enough or the components aren't rated over a specific voltage. I know Tesla has been able to speed up charging with software updates, but I believe those are at a much different scale and there are more settings they can tweak (I believe they optimized the battery cooling cycle IIRC).

Have you ever tried to charge an iPad with an iPhone charger? No amount of firmware changes will help if the hardware is the limiting factor and no software is involved.
Not to beat a dead horse but I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. My point is that if Jeep has done this right (taking a leaf out of the Tesla way of doing things, and I hope they have and will surprise us all in a few months from now) they would have designed the internal electrical circuitry in a manner that supports faster charging (via a higher KW rating charger) in the near future and that it could be enabled with a firmware upgrade. Upgrading to a higher KW rated charger is easy but the vehicle's batteries and internal electrical circuitry has to support faster charging, without which you could just do lasting damage to the batteries or have a jolly good bonfire in your driveway :) !
Sponsored