Sponsored

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Rivian is planning more or less the same thing. Apparently the US parks services are not opposed to it.
... Ford will have their version soon enough too. Then there won't be enough charging available for the number of vehicles that need juice, so they will need to build more stations.
The Park Service is so picky about what the garbage cans look like, yet they are going to let these things be built.
I wonder where the batteries are? In the stalk holding up the panels? or underground?

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I like the idea of the charging stations, but yeah...they're not really going to look like this, are they? Lit up and garish?

Quoting something I heard at work once, "I could vomit a better design than this!"

Something a little understated, like a simple pergola, maybe, IMHO would attract less vandalism.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
The solar panels are pure optics - you'd need a big box parking lot worth of panels to recharge vehicles semi-consistently.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
When you do a comparison between two things, it is important to point out the good/bad of each objectively. No doubt that any move towards electric is going to have severe growing pains and wasted time charging. However, gas-powered engines are not without their issues, we have just become so accustom to them.

For an interesting perspective, watch the first bit of this video from Engineering Explained. He switches it around and asks what we would find wrong with internal combustion engines if we had been driving electric for 100 years ... he freely admits that the fueling station infrastructure we have makes road trips better.

used to be a huge fan of EE but the guy sold out big time. His chalkboard in his garage episodes were great then it just became product placement and explaining how the car he was given as a demo has the best “x”.

Sponsored

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Will they be installing them on top of the mountains?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
With Level 2 charging, the 17 kilowatt-hour battery pack in the Jeep Wrangler 4xe can be fully recharged in about two hours, delivering 49 MPGe and 21 miles of electric range
As much as I would like this to succeed, this charge time is way too slow for me to be interested.

Those solar units mean we could charge with solar at home, and be off grid entirely ?
Assuming Jeep would sell them, then technically yes. Realistically, going off-grid usually isn't the best financial decision when compared to being grid-tied with a transfer switch.

The solar panels are pure optics - you'd need a big box parking lot worth of panels to recharge vehicles semi-consistently.
I don't know the details, but 12 typical sized panels @ 350W each would produce about 6,500 kWh every year (assuming it's not a tracker). The 4xe's battery pack is 17 kWh, which would mean a little over one full charge per day...

I'm not accounting for any losses, which may actually be pretty minimal since the entire system can be in DC (assuming this is truly off-grid). If there are batteries, I highly doubt they'll be large enough for more than 5-10 charges.

Mgdstar

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X, 2007 & 2008 Sahara Unlimited
What do solar panels go for on the black market? I cannot help but think that these remote charging stations will be destroyed rather quickly.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
What do solar panels go for on the black market? I cannot help but think that these remote charging stations will be destroyed rather quickly.
Probably not as much as you would expect, and I doubt these are high performance panels.

Sponsored

sethz

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe
How many weeks til you get a full charge?
Less than what it'd take to ship a container ship of crude from your backyard to the refinery and back to the gas station 😂 !

Jokes aside, I am surprised that all of you Jeep nerds seem so knowledgeable about automotive tech and yet completely oblivious of the rapid advances in battery and charging technology. In 3 years a solid state battery will fully charge in 15 mins or less. I am looking forward to it and say good bye to smelly gas 🙂 !
Sponsored