Sponsored

Jeep Almost Got My Family Killed (Battery Issues)

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
I apologize as I have not looked through all the posts on this. What Engine did he have? I got the Pentastar 3.6 without any eTorque or a fancy 48VDC battery. Just good ol' naturally aspirated mated to a surprisingly smooth 8 speed automatic. So far no issues (knock on wood).

I wanted to get the 6 speed manual but was quoted a very long delivery time. Hindsight realized that was a good decision after the Clutch Recall happened earlier this year.
interesting....off topic. But there's limited info on the 3.6 w/eTorque. I'm wondering how you like it? Acceleration, gear shifting, overall power band, compare to regular V6 with auto and without eTorque...of course you can't answer unless you drove the regular V6 :P

You can respond here, but I invite you to my thread lol
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...entastar-v6-w-etorque-or-3-0-ecodiesel.54166/

Rob

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oh, he has the 2.0T eTorque

OP
OP
ZenWorld

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
I apologize as I have not looked through all the posts on this. What Engine did he have? I got the Pentastar 3.6 without any eTorque or a fancy 48VDC battery. Just good ol' naturally aspirated mated to a surprisingly smooth 8 speed automatic. So far no issues (knock on wood).

I wanted to get the 6 speed manual but was quoted a very long delivery time. Hindsight realized that was a good decision after the Clutch Recall happened earlier this year.
I have the 2.0 Turbo With E Torque. Love the car, but those issues early on shouldn't have happened. I had my AUX Battery changed and had them check every damm fuse properly and cables. It turns out that after my last visit, one of my bolts was loose that led to a battery. I'll have to check which one on my dealer report.

A couple of things I'm learning with this car are not to drain the battery system as it's super sensitive. Might be a design flaw but oh well you just don't sit in the car hearing music for more than 30 minutes or risk going the car going HAYWIRE!

All in all, the engine is proper; it's the electrical aspects of it that you need to be careful with.

I haven't had issues with it at all and am back to having a blast with it <3

All the best.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems that staying old school rids you off a lot of headaches (Pentastar and no eTorque). Too bad FCA changing that recipe for 2021 if you need the 8 speed automatic.
Not true actually. If you read the forums on V6 ESS issues, you'll see that too is in fact two 12V batteries and the second 12V is used for the ESS and has a hard time keeping up with the system (at least that's how I understand it). The 48V system is MUCH more robust and after all my research I'd rather have the 48V battery/generator system with all it's other benefits and torque additions than the conventional two 12V batteries.

R

Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the 2.0 Turbo With E Torque. Love the car, but those issues early on shouldn't have happened. I had my AUX Battery changed and had them check every damm fuse properly and cables. It turns out that after my last visit, one of my bolts was loose that led to a battery. I'll have to check which one on my dealer report.

A couple of things I'm learning with this car are not to drain the battery system as it's super sensitive. Might be a design flaw but oh well you just don't sit in the car hearing music for more than 30 minutes or risk going the car going HAYWIRE!

All in all, the engine is proper; it's the electrical aspects of it that you need to be careful with.

I haven't had issues with it at all and am back to having a blast with it <3

All the best.

Hey OP, been tracking this thread as I was curious. Thanks for the update.

One note which nobody has mentioned. You noted that this all started when you were waiting for some buddies to come down from a hike or something and you were listening to the radio (which is fine I guess), however, what you also did was kept on starting the car which results in major amperage draw from the battery. I'm not sure how many times you started the car and how long you left it running after starting it but this could very well have been the issue as the starter draws the power much much more than the stereo system.

Just a thought for the next time. If you are waiting for buddies again, listen to the stereo and perhaps leave the car running for 5-10mins each time you start it. I also believe the alternator may produce more "charge" to the battery while driving the car, so when at idle it may be a little lower voltage going through the battery...I'm not sure of this though.

R

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Hey Guys

Yesterday I was driving my Jeep down the freeway when a sign came up stating the start and stop system isn't working correctly. I thought nothing much of it until all of a sudden, my Jeep turned off the Front Collision System and Power Steering.......

Once this happened, I started panicking, making my way off the freeway. It was completely dangerous as people are selfish and were not letting me pass. Eventually, the Jeep wouldn't let me accelerate anymore, and I had to cut people off to avoid being stuck in the middle of the freeway with my wife and 2 kids. I managed to exit, and as I was coming down the ramp, my brake system felt weird like it wasn't braking correctly.

I had to turn the wheel hard to make a turn into an MCDONALDS, almost got into an accident with a guy due to the jeep not functioning...

I manage to make it into the Mcdonalds, and the car gave out. I tried to get it out of the drive into neutral, but it wouldn't let me.... So i had to manually override the transmission to be able to push it into a parking spot. During all this, the Jeep is going crazy with the electronics flashing the Wind Wipers going off and the car not starting.

Here are some videos of me in the MCDonalds blocking a driveway. Shoutout to the guy who made the Youtube video on how to get the car in neutral.

Finally got a TOW Truck who was able to jumpstart the Jeep and everything was, back to NORMAL!!!
I Drove it home having my wife and kids take an UBER as I don't trust this car anymore....

I tried going to the Dealership today to get this checked and complain about this event but, they were closed.

Finally, to make matters worse as I'm exiting the Dealership the car starts malfunctioning again...

Don't think my kids will ever be getting into the Jeep anymore and I hope this issue doesn't happen to any of you.

I use this Jeep to overland and I don't know how I will be able to trust it again.

EDIT UPDATE
Dealership checked everything and it tested fine. Stated the battery had low voltage and had it charged up. I checked the fuses and everything was tight. Car is running fine now and I'll keep you posted.

Before this incident I was waiting for my friends to come down a hike we were doing and I had the Jeep playing music. I would turn the jeep engine on to make sure my battery doesn't drain. I'm assuming that wasn't enough and caused the battery to drain go a point where it just made my system go haywire.

Happened to TFL as well exactly the same.

I've had the battery module update already before this... I'll keep you guys posted

UPDATE #2
It did it again! This time on the street. Back to the dealership we go. Remote start hasn't been working since I got it back as well. Oh JEEPERS Looks like I might be getting a lawyer soon to pursue a resolution if they can't resolve it.
This has now happened to me three times. The last was twice in the same day and was an extremely dangerous situation were my family and other drivers on the road could have been killed or injured.

Mine I know for sure is not battery related as I had no dash warning lights and the voltage indicator showed 12.7 just prior and then after the event.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Happened to my wife 3 times in a BMW 2 series convertible A few years ago. First model year for that particular vehicle. BMW bought it back As my wife refused to ever drive it again and I don’t blame her. Years later I can say shit happens and it was just the .001% of a model that has the issue but when it happens to you it’s a big deal. Good luck guys and stay safe.

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
It turns out that after my last visit, one of my bolts was loose that led to a battery. I'll have to check which one on my dealer report.
If that bolt was for the main ground wire where it connects to the engine block it would easily explain your total loss of elec. Happened intermittently a few times on my 06 when it was new but after it was tightened up haven't had a problem in 13 years.

Sponsored

Oscar16

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
So do they have a fix for this issue yet. Got 2019 JLU Mine died on me but thankfully I was at a light. I have had to pull over and turn Jeep off and on few times to make warning go away. I took to dealership twice and changed my map sensor twice. Went back couple weeks later each time. Rigged it up and worked for 6 months once and just went through it again last week. Just wondering if someone ever really had this fixed. Not gonna keep this Jeep if keeps happening. I also had a 2018 JLU with so many issues got a buyback. So I’m very sick of issues on a new Jeep. Thanks

OP
OP
ZenWorld

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
So do they have a fix for this issue yet. Got 2019 JLU Mine died on me but thankfully I was at a light. I have had to pull over and turn Jeep off and on few times to make warning go away. I took to dealership twice and changed my map sensor twice. Went back couple weeks later each time. Rigged it up and worked for 6 months once and just went through it again last week. Just wondering if someone ever really had this fixed. Not gonna keep this Jeep if keeps happening. I also had a 2018 JLU with so many issues got a buyback. So I’m very sick of issues on a new Jeep. Thanks
Hey Oscar

It was fixed after they discovered the ground volt was loose. I think this happened when they changed my AUX battery one time and the engineer was having a bad day or something. So far no issues with the Jeep AT ALL. Not sure if you would be having the same problem but, yeah..... I don't like how Electrically dependent the Jeeps are starting to get.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Speaking of ground connection:
I was looking under my Jeep today to see if there are any rust spots, and noticed the ground terminals connected to the chassis frame (behind the passenger side fender below the batteries).

Does it look right with the exposed cable?
Shouldn't it have been fully clad all the way to the connector close to the bolt?
Do you think I should be covering it with the electrical tape to prevent dirt, moisture corroding the exposed part (right in front of the chalk mark)? BTW, the chalk mark was already there, I guess must be a QC/inspection check.

That exposed shiny part feels rough/gritty to touch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Almost Got My Family Killed (Battery Issues) 1609308233363

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Or the connectors I am looking at as posted in the picture above the PCR as shown in the diagram below? But in either case, IMO the exposed part is a little bit concerning or am I overthinking?

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Almost Got My Family Killed (Battery Issues) 1609311746129
Sponsored