Sponsored

Jeep Almost Got My Family Killed (Battery Issues)

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Even after reading- and responding to- this thread, I had completely forgot about an incident I had with my JLR (which, btw, is a 3.6L). The video reminded me...

We had about 6,200 miles on the odometer and were on our way to a Texas Rangers game. The first indication something was amiss was a "key fob not detected" warning (the fob was in my pocket at the time). Then the radio turned itself off. I started going through the gauge readouts (like they do in the video), and the voltage was reading 11.6. Oddly enough, the more I revved the engine, the lower the voltage dipped. There was a dealer near the stadium, so we headed there. By the time we arrived, the voltage reading was well below 11 volts. The CSR immediately hooked up a portable scan tool (the check engine light had popped on as well), and said there was a code indicating a PCM issue.

They gave us a loaner vehicle (we actually made it to the game in time for the first pitch). Two days later, I got a call saying the Jeep was ready. When I picked it up, I asked what the problem was and the dealer told me "We tried several times, but could never replicate the issue- everything seems to be fine now." That was concerning (because they did admit there was a definite problem when I arrived), but it's never occurred again so I completely forgot about it. I wonder if I had some loose fuses, and a tech went through and ensured they were all well seated?

Since then, I've never had that kind of issue again. About a month ago, my gauge cluster started acting up and a different dealer did some reflashes that fixed both it and some radio glitches I had. The good news is early model glitches like this (I have an '18 that was built fairly soon after the switch to the JL) tend to get caught over time and TSBs are issued to fix them. For now, I know my JL's drivetrain will get me wherever I want to go- not as sure about the electrical system....
Sponsored

OP
OP
ZenWorld

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Well the Jeep is back at the dealership. It did it again! Almost left me stranded on the side of the street. The good thing is I knew to pull over and turn it off and on to reset the system. Still took it in and the remote start isn't functioning properly.

Bummer this is happening. If they can't fix this I'm gonna be getting a lawyer.

OP
OP
ZenWorld

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But lawyers arenā€™t very good mechanics and will cost you half as much as the Jeep. :CWL:
You got me again , LOL!

More for guidance towards getting the Jeep replaced or my money back if Chrysler makes my life difficult with the claim. I've been having too many electrical issues with this car since buying it. We shall see

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
More for guidance towards getting the Jeep replaced or my money back if Chrysler makes my life difficult with the claim. I've been having too many electrical issues with this car since buying it. We shall see
Yes, yes absolutely. Documentation means conversation. Lemon laws exist for instances like yours. Make sure the dealer goes the length to ensure the problem gets fixed. If not, reach out to your lawyer to see what the next steps are.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Well the Jeep is back at the dealership. It did it again! Almost left me stranded on the side of the street. The good thing is I knew to pull over and turn it off and on to reset the system. Still took it in and the remote start isn't functioning properly.

Bummer this is happening. If they can't fix this I'm gonna be getting a lawyer.
Hi @ZenWorld
We are terribly sorry to hear about this poor experience. If you would like our team to offer additional support to your dealer service, please send us a private message with your VIN. Thank you.

Kathryn
JeepCares

OP
OP
ZenWorld

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi @ZenWorld
We are terribly sorry to hear about this poor experience. If you would like our team to offer additional support to your dealer service, please send us a private message with your VIN. Thank you.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Appreciate it. My last visit was a better experience and it seems we have figured out the issue causing the car to stall on me. Appreciate the response.

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S(JL)
Hey Guys

Yesterday I was driving my Jeep down the freeway when a sign came up stating the start and stop system isn't working correctly. I thought nothing much of it until all of a sudden, my Jeep turned off the Front Collision System and Power Steering.......

Once this happened, I started panicking, making my way off the freeway. It was completely dangerous as people are selfish and were not letting me pass. Eventually, the Jeep wouldn't let me accelerate anymore, and I had to cut people off to avoid being stuck in the middle of the freeway with my wife and 2 kids. I managed to exit, and as I was coming down the ramp, my brake system felt weird like it wasn't braking correctly.

I had to turn the wheel hard to make a turn into an MCDONALDS, almost got into an accident with a guy due to the jeep not functioning...

I manage to make it into the Mcdonalds, and the car gave out. I tried to get it out of the drive into neutral, but it wouldn't let me.... So i had to manually override the transmission to be able to push it into a parking spot. During all this, the Jeep is going crazy with the electronics flashing the Wind Wipers going off and the car not starting.

Here are some videos of me in the MCDonalds blocking a driveway. Shoutout to the guy who made the Youtube video on how to get the car in neutral.

Finally got a TOW Truck who was able to jumpstart the Jeep and everything was, back to NORMAL!!!
I Drove it home having my wife and kids take an UBER as I don't trust this car anymore....

I tried going to the Dealership today to get this checked and complain about this event but, they were closed.

Finally, to make matters worse as I'm exiting the Dealership the car starts malfunctioning again...

Don't think my kids will ever be getting into the Jeep anymore and I hope this issue doesn't happen to any of you.

I use this Jeep to overland and I don't know how I will be able to trust it again.

EDIT UPDATE
Dealership checked everything and it tested fine. Stated the battery had low voltage and had it charged up. I checked the fuses and everything was tight. Car is running fine now and I'll keep you posted.

Before this incident I was waiting for my friends to come down a hike we were doing and I had the Jeep playing music. I would turn the jeep engine on to make sure my battery doesn't drain. I'm assuming that wasn't enough and caused the battery to drain go a point where it just made my system go haywire.

Happened to TFL as well exactly the same.

I've had the battery module update already before this... I'll keep you guys posted

UPDATE #2
It did it again! This time on the street. Back to the dealership we go. Remote start hasn't been working since I got it back as well. Oh JEEPERS Looks like I might be getting a lawyer soon to pursue a resolution if they can't resolve it.

My jeep almost killed me in december( see my history to see if it helps you), VERY similar issue with the ESS. Its been 6 months and since the error isn't pulling a code no shop will do anything. Good luck not dieing. Also Jeepcares wouldn't help because I'm Canadian and the canadian branch is completely USELESS.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
any update on this? what was the issue?

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Appreciate it. My last visit was a better experience and it seems we have figured out the issue causing the car to stall on me. Appreciate the response.
We are happy to hear this - In the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to us again. We would be happy to add supplemental support to any dealer visit.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It would be good to learn learn what the fix is so others can inspect for, and possibly prevent, the same problem on another family's Jeep.

Thank you!

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ya, OP, please let us know what's going on.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Id lemon it. I went through the whole post. "they found the issue" "it happened again" "they fix it!" "it happened again..." man these dealers and their "technicians". They remind me of cuban doctors. I had to take my jeep to 5 different dealers to fix a front seat that wouldn't fold back, and even then, they still didn't fix it correctly. I gave up. They just have no clue what they're doing, your jeep might be 100% fixable but they just can't fix it, I would just get a new one and let them deal with their lemon. It is normal for any motor vehicle to have issues, the problem with Jeep is not the Jeep, it is the dealer techs. Who the hell spends 3 hours trying to charge a battery? how can you call yourself a real mechanic if you spend 3 hours of your job trying to charge a battery? that's like trying to turn on the lights in your house for 3 hours while the breakers are off.

Then someone mentions "lemon law"

Jeep"cares" jumps in :CWL: .

TIC TAC, Ford is joining the game Jeep! no more mediocre dealer service departments!

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Id lemon it. I went through the whole post. "they found the issue" "it happened again" "they fix it!" "it happened again..." man these dealers and their "technicians". They remind me of cuban doctors. I had to take my jeep to 5 different dealers to fix a front seat that wouldn't fold back, and even then, they still didn't fix it correctly. I gave up. They just have no clue what they're doing, your jeep might be 100% fixable but they just can't fix it, I would just get a new one and let them deal with their lemon. It is normal for any motor vehicle to have issues, the problem with Jeep is not the Jeep, it is the dealer techs. Who the hell spends 3 hours trying to charge a battery? how can you call yourself a real mechanic if you spend 3 hours of your job trying to charge a battery? that's like trying to turn on the lights in your house for 3 hours while the breakers are off.

Then someone mentions "lemon law"

Jeep"cares" jumps in :CWL: .

TIC TAC, Ford is joining the game Jeep! no more mediocre dealer service departments!
Yup...Monday, we see what the Bronco is about....
Sponsored