Sponsored

Jeep Almost Got My Family Killed (Battery Issues)

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
To many people have never driven a vehicle without power steering or power brakes and freak out when theirs goes out. This sort of failure can happen and as a driver you should be able to handle it without drama.
Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone is used to the luxuries and technologies of the present. As a kid, working, I have driven Datsun pickup trucks without power steering and stiff brakes and clutch. If I was on the highway now and unexpected things like this happened, even I would be caught off guard and would start shitting bricks in the middle of the highway. The driver did what he had to do and exit out safely. He's posting his experience here so that we can be informed and not have "drama" when we encounter something like this.
Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My dad didn't grow up a farmer, but he spent a lot of his youth working on neighboring farms. Farmers have an interesting saying for things like an ancillary battery "It's just one more thing to break!"

My hope (expectation) is that someone like Z-Automotive (the folks that make Tazer) will figure out how to devise a piece of electronics that will allow one to remove that battery without affecting anything other than the (IMO annoying and unnecessary) Start-Stop System. Hopefully they will have brought this device to market by the time I need to replace the main battery (because while I have the main battery out, I would LOVE to delete that extra battery).

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It is clear you have a differing opinion. I do not usually debate people on the internet, or in real life for that matter, but here are a few thoughts.
That's weird, I've read some of your previous posts/threads where it appeared you asked questions, brought up issues, etc. just to be argumentative about the facts or experiences of others when they were presented to you. Such as your question on the 8.4" U-Connect and LED package.

- Leaky coolant line connections.
Haven't seen any posts about this lately. Any engine's coolant lines can leak.

- Exposed coolant lines that can catch on trail debris such as branches. Do the lines really need to be there?
Exposed? They're attached above the engine oil pan and are about even with the transmission fluid pan. If you're going to be nit picky, then start a thread whining about how FCA left the transmission pan exposed. Otherwise, put a t-case/trans skid plate on.

- Lithium batteries hidden underneath the passenger compartment. This seems fine when cruising a Prius through the shopping mall parking lot, but seems less prudent when you are bouncing over rocks 50 miles from phone service.
Again, there's a stock skid plate covering that or thicker aftermarket ones if you're worried about it. You shouldn't be bouncing over rocks either if you're worried about it, the Jeeps are designed to crawl and do very well at it.

- Unnecessarily long high current power lines running from the BSG to the optional placement of the battery. 48vDC reduces the amperage by 4x compared to 12vDC but it's still a lot more current than seen at other connections, such as the required 12vDC connection to the taillights. Placing the battery nearer to the rest of the system would reduce the deterioration of the connection due to cyclical heating and cooling caused by resistance, and possibly reduce the instances where the charging system becomes problematic due to ineffective connections.
:(

- 48vDC Lithium battery packs are never going to be inexpensive to replace. The primary way that Lithium battery packs are made less expensive by third party vendors is too ignore the well understood engineering safeguards that are implemented in the better made examples.
I'll take my chances with eTorque and see what the future holds. I'm not an electrical engineer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I have seen several posts, made by you, that state that the charging and battery problems are most often experienced with the non E Torque systems.
What I have stated is what I have read by others who are posting about their ESS issues on the 3.6 engines. From what I've read and have experienced, the rate of failures with the eTorque/BSG/Start-Stop are vastly less right now than the 3.6 ESS.

My observation has been that the instances seem to have affected owners of both systems. Those who have problems involving the E Torque system seem, to me, to have greater difficulty resolving the issues, which I think is due to the limited experience of the field technicians as well as the general nature of trouble shooting systems that have components hidden in more difficult to access locations. So, because my thoughts are based on a personal review of a very limited sample size, I will submit that my statement it is merely representative of my opinion.
I would think some of the eTorque issues are more difficult to resolve as it is a more technologically advanced engine system. Is it brand new, never tried technology? No, other manufacturers are using it or systems which are similar. To each their own.
Thank you.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Trust me, they can do a lot more with it, if you ever get a chance, go test drive a Scat Pack at the dealership, go into the apps/SRT pages. drive modes. You can feel the whole personality of the car change by changing the drive mode or you can set up a custom mode.

OP
OP
ZenWorld

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Got the Car back and all they did was charge the car battery. Not the hybrid nor the aux. Everything tested fine. I'm gonna check the fuses like someone else stated and check back with you guys.

All the best and thanks for educating me more on my cars system.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
This is your Jeep taking revenge on you for calling it a car.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Got the Car back and all they did was charge the car battery. Not the hybrid nor the aux. Everything tested fine. I'm gonna check the fuses like someone else stated and check back with you guys.

All the best and thanks for educating me more on my cars system.
Most electrical problems are caused by a simple circumstance of ineffective connections. It is rare that major components, which are tested and culled before installation, become defective, although a bad connection can cause components to become damaged.

Often times the battery servicing and or parts replacement will secure the problematic connection as a collateral action while the techs hunt and peck with battery charges and or parts replacements.

The sooner all the power connections are inspected and secured, the fewer visits and parts are required to solve the issue and prevent failures from recurring.

OP
OP
ZenWorld

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
This guys seems to have had a similar issue recently:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1163316

I also recalled this video I had seen:

Maybe there is more your dealer can do.
It was exactly the same . Wow i just checked the fuses and everything seem tight. Only ones a bit loose still are at the bottom left which are a bit taller. Sexy jeep running fine now.....

Moral of the story is I'm never gonna let this Jeep sit there playing music. I was turning it on and letting the car run to make sure the battery didn't die but it looks like not even that is enough.
Sponsored