Sponsored

Jeep Almost Got My Family Killed (Battery Issues)

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys so I have the 2.0 Turbo E torque and you guys are right should of handled the power steering going off better. I guess its just the fact its a 1 year old car that pissed me off and my wife and kids not making the situation better. I did have the AUX switched earlier this year due to my start and stop system not working properly. We shall see what they say tomorrow.

Still feel the car shouldn't put you in those situations.
If they left a wire on the loose side or a plug not seated, doubt they will tell you. Thats too much of a coincidence, worked on the system recently now a failure.

OP
OP
ZenWorld

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Definitely sucks to have this kind of issue. Especially with family in the car. Glad you made it out ok. I will say that even through a buy back for death wobble, Ive never felt unsafe in either of my Saharas. Unfortunately three weeks ago I slammed into the back of someone when a fire truck pulled into an intersection. The Sentra I creamed was totaled. I had a few scratches on my front (plastic) bumper. Ill take it, plus the fun other aspects of owning a Jeep.

Good luck with yours!
No Yeah I still love the car. It's the funnest car I've had. Just have to handle this properly and make sure it doesn't happen again.

oscarvan

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sport
To many people have never driven a vehicle without power steering or power brakes and freak out when theirs goes out. This sort of failure can happen and as a driver you should be able to handle it without drama.
Owned 30 cars and trucks before I ever saw power steering.... Yeah it gets your attention. But OP says himself that he "panicked"........ It's a PITA when that shit fails. It's not a near death experience.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Yep, thanks ESS.. what a crock that feature is. I get the same, or better mpg with it disabled. I can only imagine trying to change lanes in an emergency situtation in LA. I've had to do that a few times and yes, people try to drive around you at high speed. The first thing you do is hit your emergency flashers and slow in your lane.. then slowly get over with your emergency flashers activated.
ESS has little to nothing to do with your fuel economy, it’s about the stuff that gets spewed out your tail pipe.

Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Your jeep is having a coms issue, basically, all of the different modules use a common pair of twisted yellow wires to communicate. There is interference from something. Could be a bad battery, could be the twisted yellow wires somewhere have rubbed against something and are now shorting to ground. The voltage going through the communication wire is extremely low so there is no danger of fire, but imagine making a phone call on an old landline and someone starts a dial-up modem. The systems can't communicate and the whole system goes into limp mode.
The brakes and steering on a Jeep are still driven directly by your inputs... ie you turn the steering wheel and there is a direct connection between you and the front tires. You hit the brakes and there is a direct result. If this had been a tesla...
If the ESS battery was dead, or was at low charge, then wouldn’t you see the dash message for “ESS not available at this time,” or something along those lines? I had a faulty vacuum hose and pump associated with my brake system that negated my ESS and ESC after coming to the first stop during a drive and it would stay that way until the computer reset like when your speakers go into “mysterious FCA low volume mode”. I tend to agree with this post that it might be a wiring issue, a short or grounding of sorts.

Last edited:

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I loved my Jeep, I sold it last weekend, now I am back to looking for places to camp instead of looking for steering and electrical fixes/upgrades.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Owned 30 cars and trucks before I ever saw power steering.... Yeah it gets your attention. But OP says himself that he "panicked"........ It's a PITA when that shit fails. It's not a near death experience.
driving a a modern vehicle with electric steering that dies is not the same as driving and old non assist steering...

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Yep, thanks ESS.. what a crock that feature is. I get the same, or better mpg with it disabled. I can only imagine trying to change lanes in an emergency situtation in LA. I've had to do that a few times and yes, people try to drive around you at high speed. The first thing you do is hit your emergency flashers and slow in your lane.. then slowly get over with your emergency flashers activated.
The ESS does not improve mpg. It improves gallons per hour, which somehow meets fuel standards.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
driving a a modern vehicle with electric steering that dies is not the same as driving and old non assist steering...
Yeah, it's all techy stuff like steering box ratios, caster sittings, etc. It has a steering wheel must be the same right? :CWL:

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
To many people have never driven a vehicle without power steering or power brakes and freak out when theirs goes out. This sort of failure can happen and as a driver you should be able to handle it without drama.
Just wait until you have your alternator go out on the highway. Then everything shuts down and car rolls to a stop. Fun times.

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah rolling at 80+mph in LA (or Austin/San Antonio I35 in my case) w/o ps/brakes. Talk about pucker...
There's this lever right next to the driver's seat, called an emergency brake. With the release button pushed in, lift it up to apply brakes. That in conjunction with the non-assisted power brakes should give you plenty of control. "Freaking out" doesn't do you any good.
As for no power steering, lot's of cars are actually power assisted steering where the faster you are going the less assistance you get.
Having things fail isn't optimal, but the more car manufacturers dumb down the cars the less people actually DRIVE and become vehicle pointers.
Combine some defensive driving skills into your routine and you will be safer as well regardless of what happens.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
There's this lever right next to the driver's seat, called an emergency brake. With the release button pushed in, lift it up to apply brakes. That in conjunction with the non-assisted power brakes should give you plenty of control. "Freaking out" doesn't do you any good.
As for no power steering, lot's of cars are actually power assisted steering where the faster you are going the less assistance you get.
Having things fail isn't optimal, but the more car manufacturers dumb down the cars the less people actually DRIVE and become vehicle pointers.
Combine some defensive driving skills into your routine and you will be safer as well regardless of what happens.

LOL I don't 'freak out'. I've been driving for 35 years and yes, I've plenty w/o power steering and brakes.

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
I've had power steering and power brake failure on every vehicle I've owned except my JLURD because it only has 1,000 miles. I fully expect my power steering and power brakes will fail on my JLURD at some point. Not if, but when.
Had everything fail on my F350 diesel when the vacuum pump failed - twice as large and heavy as any jeep - and not a big deal. People today are spoiled with auto everything...

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Per the ESS battery, not the 48V, if they suspect an issue with it they will load test. had my wifes in last week. She noted the ESS not available/ready message. Well under certain conditions it would be, example MAx AC shuts the ESS off, also other parameters also shut it off.

Anyhow, talked to my friend in the bay, he did a bunch of updates to the PCM, TCM, and couple other modules, load tested and reinstalled the ESS battery, changed the oil, and wife was happy that Punkn was back to its normal self. Note I brought it in last week and used the Wytech to look, saw a few low voltage codes and that it needed some revisions on the software/updates. So set up appointment and dropped off. I asked them to note on the receipt I had the battery complaint, but it tested fine. Brought my Rubicon in next day for a free oil change and he checked it out, again had several low voltage codes ( which he sees all the time on these things). He did several software updates, my PCM was out about 4 revisions xxxC to xxxF on the PCM, a TCM, Parktronic module etc He showed me the screen showing all the modules in the Jeep.
I had about 90% of them, ones in Blue are the ones in it and others in gray mine didnt have, assume depends on the options/drive train. Anyhow he says they all communicate over the bus and lots of stupid things happen hence all the updates. Anyhow got my Amsoil put in and was on my way.
Sponsored