Sponsored

Jeep Almost Got My Family Killed (Battery Issues)

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Hey Guys

Yesterday I was driving my Jeep down the freeway when a sign came up stating the start and stop system isn't working correctly. I thought nothing much of it until all of a sudden, my Jeep turned off the Front Collision System and Power Steering.......

Once this happened, I started panicking, making my way off the freeway. It was completely dangerous as people are selfish and were not letting me pass. Eventually, the Jeep wouldn't let me accelerate anymore, and I had to cut people off to avoid being stuck in the middle of the freeway with my wife and 2 kids. I managed to exit, and as I was coming down the ramp, my brake system felt weird like it wasn't braking correctly.

I had to turn the wheel hard to make a turn into an MCDONALDS, almost got into an accident with a guy due to the jeep not functioning...

I manage to make it into the Mcdonalds, and the car gave out. I tried to get it out of the drive into neutral, but it wouldn't let me.... So i had to manually override the transmission to be able to push it into a parking spot. During all this, the Jeep is going crazy with the electronics flashing the Wind Wipers going off and the car not starting.

Here are some videos of me in the MCDonalds blocking a driveway. Shoutout to the guy who made the Youtube video on how to get the car in neutral.

Finally got a TOW Truck who was able to jumpstart the Jeep and everything was, back to NORMAL!!!
I Drove it home having my wife and kids take an UBER as I don't trust this car anymore....

I tried going to the Dealership today to get this checked and complain about this event but, they were closed.

Finally, to make matters worse as I'm exiting the Dealership the car starts malfunctioning again...

Don't think my kids will ever be getting into the Jeep anymore and I hope this issue doesn't happen to any of you.

I use this Jeep to overland and I don't know how I will be able to trust it again.

EDIT UPDATE
Dealership checked everything and it tested fine. Stated the battery had low voltage and had it charged up. I checked the fuses and everything was tight. Car is running fine now and I'll keep you posted.

Before this incident I was waiting for my friends to come down a hike we were doing and I had the Jeep playing music. I would turn the jeep engine on to make sure my battery doesn't drain. I'm assuming that wasn't enough and caused the battery to drain go a point where it just made my system go haywire.

Happened to TFL as well exactly the same.

I've had the battery module update already before this... I'll keep you guys posted

UPDATE #2
It did it again! This time on the street. Back to the dealership we go. Remote start hasn't been working since I got it back as well. Oh JEEPERS Looks like I might be getting a lawyer soon to pursue a resolution if they can't resolve it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
Take it to the dealer and have them replace the 48v auxiliary battery.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, thanks ESS.. what a crock that feature is. I get the same, or better mpg with it disabled. I can only imagine trying to change lanes in an emergency situtation in LA. I've had to do that a few times and yes, people try to drive around you at high speed. The first thing you do is hit your emergency flashers and slow in your lane.. then slowly get over with your emergency flashers activated.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
If enough ESS fail, maybe they will give us a way to permanently take it out.
Maybe they will have to be sued, after people get hurt, just like the air bag scandle

Sponsored

RedRockRubicon

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redrockrubicon.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR named Lucy, 2018 Bright White JLUR named Dru, 2020 Hella Yella JLUR named Stuart, 2000 TJ Bright Silver Metallic name Gru. 2020 Gladiator name Kassandra
Occupation
Jeep Tours/rentals
Your jeep is having a coms issue, basically, all of the different modules use a common pair of twisted yellow wires to communicate. There is interference from something. Could be a bad battery, could be the twisted yellow wires somewhere have rubbed against something and are now shorting to ground. The voltage going through the communication wire is extremely low so there is no danger of fire, but imagine making a phone call on an old landline and someone starts a dial-up modem. The systems can't communicate and the whole system goes into limp mode.
The brakes and steering on a Jeep are still driven directly by your inputs... ie you turn the steering wheel and there is a direct connection between you and the front tires. You hit the brakes and there is a direct result. If this had been a tesla...

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The 48v battery does more than ess it’s not a battery tender issue. You can turn off ess and still have problems. I have run ess on my escape for 4 years, better mileage and itnrums great. FCA needs to refine the 48v system.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
To many people have never driven a vehicle without power steering or power brakes and freak out when theirs goes out. This sort of failure can happen and as a driver you should be able to handle it without drama.

Sponsored

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The 48v battery does more than ess it’s not a battery tender issue. You can turn off ess and still have problems. I have run ess on my escape for 4 years, better mileage and itnrums great. FCA needs to refine the 48v system.
To complete the thought ford runs a 12v system, Jeep runs48v. Lots of potential there but we need to complain about all of the faults so they can make it better.

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
To many people have never driven a vehicle without power steering or power brakes and freak out when theirs goes out. This sort of failure can happen and as a driver you should be able to handle it without drama.
That’s a great point but what now do you drive without ps and pb?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Take it to the dealer and have them replace the 48v auxiliary battery.
I didn't see anywhere in his post where he has the 2.0T eTorque. If he doesn't and has the 3.6, there is no 48 volt system on the 2019 3.6 engines. Therefore, he would have the regular ESS with the small battery underneath the main battery. These 3.6 ESS systems are giving lots of problems. There's a recent post where a 3.0 diesel ESS system, with really low miles, is having problems too.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a great point but what now do you drive without ps and pb?
Yeah rolling at 80+mph in LA (or Austin/San Antonio I35 in my case) w/o ps/brakes. Talk about pucker...

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I’m confused.

OP, is your vehicle a 2.0 with the 48w battery or a 3.6 with the craptastic ess/motorcycle battery?
Sponsored