Sponsored

Jeep Almost Got My Family Killed (Battery Issues)

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
I didn't see anywhere in his post where he has the 2.0T eTorque. If he doesn't and has the 3.6, there is no 48 volt system on the 2019 3.6 engines. Therefore, he would have the regular ESS with the small battery underneath the main battery. These 3.6 ESS systems are giving lots of problems. There's a recent post where a 3.0 diesel ESS system, with really low miles, is having problems too.
Either way the aux battery needs to be replaced. Mine was bad and it caused many other issues.
Sponsored

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Either way the aux battery needs to be replaced. Mine was bad and it caused many other issues.
I’m not saying you are wrong I did some research and thought I gave a good response but my aux battery was bad from day 1 and once it was replaced I had a totally new vehicle.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I’m confused.

OP, is your vehicle a 2.0 with the 48w battery or a 3.6 with the craptastic ess/motorcycle battery?
Tach is a 2.0 tach. I’m gonna assume it’s a etorque 2.0 though.

Wasn’t there threads about low voltage and issues.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a great point but what now do you drive without ps and pb?
I've had power steering and power brake failure on every vehicle I've owned except my JLURD because it only has 1,000 miles. I fully expect my power steering and power brakes will fail on my JLURD at some point. Not if, but when.

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've had power steering and power brake failure on every vehicle I've owned except my JLURD because it only has 1,000 miles. I fully expect my power steering and power brakes will fail on my JLURD at some point. Not if, but when.
That is interesting as I am old enough to have driven a non Ps and pb but have not have a vehicle fail in that respect.

Sponsored

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Yeah, if i'm sitting at a red light idling, sometimes it will let me know the Start/Stop feature is no longer able to function, but my main voltage is always good (2.0 4cyl)

My wife and I had an interesting issue with our then brand-new 2018 Pacifica. The dealer delivered it to our house.....with a bad auxiliary battery. I was not home when it was delivered. Got home, wife said it was dead in the driveway and the salesman had already left. So nice of them to let me stroke a $47,000 check and leave me with a vehicle that was completely inoperable. That was found to be a bad auxiliary battery as well, they spent about 3 hours trying to charge it up but gave up and just replaced the battery.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not saying you are wrong I did some research and thought I gave a good response but my aux battery was bad from day 1 and once it was replaced I had a totally new vehicle.
But the difference in cost in replacing the different systems battery is HUGE. A couple hundred for the 3.6 ESS auxiliary battery and $1,500 (last I heard) for the 48 volt system. The ESS system on the 3.6 and eTorque are completely different. The new 2.0T without eTorque (offered in 2020 and newer JL's, except the Rubicon Recon) is the same as the 3.6 though.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Tach is a 2.0 tach. I’m gonna assume it’s a etorque 2.0 though.

Wasn’t there threads about low voltage and issues.
It's not uncommon to have ESS disabled because the battery is charging. All brands have that "feature".

But the low battery sounds like a telltale sign of the other issues. Power steering is likely "on" when the engine is stopped via ESS and likely uses the same battery.

I'm guessing the aux battery charging circuits have gone off.

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
But the difference in cost in replacing the different systems battery is HUGE. A couple hundred for the 3.6 ESS auxiliary battery and $1,500 (last I heard) for the 48 volt system. The ESS system on the 3.6 and eTorque are completely different. The new 2.0T without eTorque (offered in 2020 and newer JL's, except the Rubicon Recon) is the same as the 3.6 though.
You are correct the 48v battery is like $1550. So get it replaced under warranty. I have a 2020 so maybe am confused.

Sponsored

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You are correct the 48v battery is like $1550. So get it replaced under warranty. I have a 2020 so maybe am confused.
I can’t find my invoice for what the warranty charge was now I am very curious.

OP
OP
ZenWorld

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Hey guys so I have the 2.0 Turbo E torque and you guys are right should of handled the power steering going off better. I guess its just the fact its a 1 year old car that pissed me off and my wife and kids not making the situation better. I did have the AUX switched earlier this year due to my start and stop system not working properly. We shall see what they say tomorrow.

Still feel the car shouldn't put you in those situations.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Hey guys so I have the 2.0 Turbo E torque and you guys are right should of handled the power steering going off better. I guess its just the fact its a 1 year old car that pissed me off and my wife and kids not making the situation better. I did have the AUX switched earlier this year due to my start and stop system not working properly. We shall see what they say tomorrow.

A word of advice... go for the simplest model and something you can try before you buy.

If this scared you, get a late model JKU Sahara. They don't get thrashed.

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

You are righ

You are right, for us it is a technical discussion, for you much more.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Definitely sucks to have this kind of issue. Especially with family in the car. Glad you made it out ok. I will say that even through a buy back for death wobble, Ive never felt unsafe in either of my Saharas. Unfortunately three weeks ago I slammed into the back of someone when a fire truck pulled into an intersection. The Sentra I creamed was totaled. I had a few scratches on my front (plastic) bumper. Ill take it, plus the fun other aspects of owning a Jeep.

Good luck with yours!
Sponsored