Sponsored

Jeep Accident !! Safety Features did work and I am alive, Now What ?

Frogsme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara
My 2018 was totaled in 2020, traffic stopped on I95, pickup behind me did not. After going back and forth with the insurance, we settled on an independent appraisal. Appraisal came back 10,000 more than insurance was willing to pay, they settled on the appraisal price (more than I was expecting). Hold your ground and if necessary, ask for an independent appraisal. It worked out for me. Got into a 2021 with what I wanted for almost nothing out of my pocket. Good luck
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Take the converstation to if you had a shop and could not afford an engine mount then you should not have a shop. I don't want my engine sitting on a tire with all the underbelly weight on a tire. Not complicated.
How do you think an engine is mounted in vehicle?

It sits on two or three tiny rubber engine mounts.

It’s very obvious when people who have never worked on cars are complaining about nonsense.

even brand new crate engines show up just sitting on a pallet. A tire is much softer.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
How do you think an engine is mounted in vehicle?

It sits on two or three tiny rubber engine mounts.

It’s very obvious when people who have never worked on cars are complaining about nonsense.

even brand new crate engines show up just sitting on a pallet. A tire is much softer.
I know it's off-topic, but it's definitely common practice. The shop teacher I used to work with would regularly have engines sitting on tires while they were doing swaps. When I pulled the motor out of my old Monte Carlo I did the same thing - stuck it on a tire in my garage.

I'd also be willing to bet in the original pic posted that some members have commented on that the trans and transfer case is still connected behind it, out of sight from our angle. Separating the trans and having to reseat the torque converter just leaves more opportunity for stuff to be wrong when everything is re-installed in the new frame...

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I work in the industry. This is 100% repairable, but depends on availability of repair parts which needs to be factored in to insurance claims.

I don’t see the frame damage, to be honest. The sway bar is fubar’d but that’s not so big a deal. The mounting holes for it are probably destroyed.
I went to my dealer body shop for second round of bubbling paint photo session. I drove around back and there was about a dozen full frames stacked for scrap. Advantage of full frame construction. Glad OP is ok and was wearing his seat belt.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
The airbags deployed, the OP walked away. This doesn't change the fact that body on frame vehicles are inherently less safe than collapsible body (unibody) designs like regular SUV's when hitting an immovable object like a tree. Sorry, its simple physics. The steel ladder frame of a Wrangler doesn't collapse nearly as much (or at all) so the humans inside decelerate quicker against the seatbelt... meaning your internal organs experience much more force against the inside of your crushed sternum vs a vehicle that gets its entire front end smooshed up against the firewall like a crushed beer can. You want the body to collapse around you to absorb the deceleration, otherwise its just your sternum vs the seatbelt (hint: seatbelt wins).

Also, since the Wrangler is getting totaled anyways (for economic reasons), it doesn't really matter that the crushed beer can of a unibody vehicle would also be totaled in a similar accident.

So for those soccer moms who are overly nutso about any risk for their kids, Wranger is a poor choice. If you got to choose which Jeep you wanted to crash in, I would choose the best of both worlds; Collapsible body and a heavy one, like the new Grand Cherokee L.

Of course in a no-contest collision of say a 6000lb Ford F350 hitting a Kia Soul its different story since the Soul becomes the crushed unibody protecting the F350 driver. The Soul driver on the other hand will not fare as well since all of his unibody collapse when into decelerating the F350 not leaving enough passenger compartment to protect Soul's driver; An unfair fight.
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/jeep/wrangler-4-door-suv/2019

Sponsored

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
So glad you are ok! What dash cam
Were you running?

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited

I have one that goes over my rear view mirror that I picked up from amazon, it had a rear camera that I had to route wires for (took me most of a sunday to do it). It records 4k front and 1080 rear and displays front, both or rear in the mirror. For me this was a better situation since my stock rear view mirror is completely obscured by the internal spare mount for my tire. I actually really like it, would be nice if the rear view cam was 4k but I guess I read it wrong when I bought it

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear you’re okay OP. I was figuring the insurance folk would total it since the airbags fired. See what they offer, compare to Kelly Blue Book and see if you agree. Make sure you point out any upgrades so they can be considered in the settlement. If they lowball, ask them to explain the gap with KBB. Most adjusters struggle with explaining that…..LOL

Good luck, sorry for your loss.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps

Sponsored

Beth B

First Name
Beth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport 2DR, Manual
Thank you .
Sorry about your loss! If there's frame damage, they will probably total the vehicle. Was the Dash Cam an option or did you add it afterwards? I think you should order now if you want a new one consider it's been taking so long. Although if you're like most people, you might not be able to be without "wheels" for that long. :/

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your advice . I don’t have payments and own it - so its my loss if they appraised it low. i will look up on SMITH, thnx . i ve been told the other vehicle had sudden mechanical failure and lost one of its wheels and swerved right immediately. so, i am not sure i could have predicted it.
Being a retired Cop I've seen my share of accidents. You could have been looking straight at that truck, and it wouldn't have mattered. It was so fast I doubt you would have had time to react. I'm just thankful you had an Angel riding with you. At the speed you left the road you were very lucky there wasn't a roll over. And I'm sure I don't have to mention that you slid across two lanes without getting hit. Oh, and did I mention you must have had an Angel as a co-pilot. :)

Happy to hear you're OK GT. Cars can be replaced. People, not so much.

OP
OP
wranglernoob2019

wranglernoob2019

First Name
GT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 19 Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
Being a retired Cop I've seen my share of accidents. You could have been looking straight at that truck, and it wouldn't have mattered. It was so fast I doubt you would have had time to react. I'm just thankful you had an Angel riding with you. At the speed you left the road you were very lucky there wasn't a roll over. And I'm sure I don't have to mention that you slid across two lanes without getting hit. Oh, and did I mention you must have had an Angel as a co-pilot. :)

Happy to hear you're OK GT. Cars can be replaced. People, not so much.
Thank you @Wanted33, you made me see glass as half full :)