Sponsored

Jeep Accident !! Safety Features did work and I am alive, Now What ?

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
Assuming they will total this... We ordered a 2021 JL on July 15 and took delivery of it on October 15 - so plan on 90+ days before you get your new truck. Good luck - and glad you're Ok.
Sponsored

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
You'll be dealing with the other drivers insurance company unless you let yours subrogate the claim. Terrific that there were no injuries but still be prepared to involve an insurance lawyer if you feel the insurance company is low balling you or pushing an outcome you're not interested in accepting - especially given the value of Jeeps these days. Just the threat of involving a lawyer will typically result in the insurance company upping their initial offer and usually you'll do better even with lawyers fee factored in. If you can settle without one that's best case but be prepared as every insurance adjuster will try to settle a claim for the minimum amount possible. Just based on my past experiences.

Last edited:

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Doesn't look like a bent frame to me either. In the pictures it looks like the body panels line up and the hood doors look straight. It tore the sway bar mount up. Maybe the frame horns where they meet the bumper got bent up, but that's no big deal. Wait to see what the body ship says, but I'd keep it, especially if it's paid off. Make sure you get diminished value from insurance since an accident will be on the jeeps record.

OP
OP
wranglernoob2019

wranglernoob2019

First Name
GT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 19 Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
These things happen so fast but seems like everything is in slow motion while it’s happening. Glad you’re ok. I totaled my ‘18 JL after getting hit in the rear end that sent me into a concrete wall. Walked away with no injuries. No question that it was totaled and got full replaced value from my insurance company. Good luck.
DD1E32E3-AB41-4AE8-9C00-09810B2060C3.jpeg
Thats a pretty bad ass accident right there - Glad you were safe

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Well glad you made it out safely which is most important. Another "should I repair my Jeep after an accident thread" though. If airbags deployed AND the frame is twisted then it'll be a total loss and its time to get another Jeep. Much easier to get another Jeep than get another life. Good luck!

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Only an asshole watches that video and thinks, “the OP needs some driving criticism here”. 1. We don’t pay for the alpine system to not listen to it 2. Scanning your mirrors every 3-8 seconds won’t do shit for you when someone sudden swerves into your vehicle at freeway speed 3. Had the OP swerved to avoid the other driver, hit someone else, or rolled his Jeep off the side of the road, he would be liable for his unsafe lane change. I’m all for defensive driving, but there comes a point where there’s likely nothing you can do but take the hit and do your best to maintain control of your vehicle. The OP did a hell of a job in that arena. I’d bet it will be totaled, and if I were the op I’d place a custom order now. Worst case they repair it and you’re out the $500 deposit on your custom order, but it’s worth the risk to get a 1-3 week jump on your build.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Judging by the suddenness of the car veering into your Jeep, I would not be surprised if their steering link or ball joint broke.

OP
OP
wranglernoob2019

wranglernoob2019

First Name
GT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 19 Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
Judging by the suddenness of the car veering into your Jeep, I would not be surprised if their steering link or ball joint broke.
True, Thats is what i have been told - as some mechanical failure caused the sudden steer.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Usually there are signs well before something like that happening, but many will just continue to drive until it breaks.

There's the old mechanics saying: You can pay me a little now, or a lot later. Not only did it cost that guy his truck, and you your Jeep, but a whopping hit on his insurance as well.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Glad to read that you're still here and in one piece, GT.

I've been told the other vehicle had sudden mechanical failure and lost one of its wheels and swerved right immediately. so, i am not sure i could have predicted it.
You answered the question I was going to ask. Even though the other driver is responsible for the fitness of the vehicle he is driving, it might be possible and/or he might choose to lean on "sudden mechanical failure" as a way to mitigate his liability here. Stay frosty on that subject.

Personally, and in the same circumstances, if frame damage to my JLU was authenticated, I'd want a new vehicle. Hopefully you get satisfaction in that matter.

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
My dealership here in Tampa, FL (Jerry Ulm) has done a few of these would-be-totaled-if-it-was-not-for-supply-shortages. I saw one in the shop, they unbolt the frame and toss a new one in. Simple as that. The tech said things are so costly with auto prices it's cheaper to do a frame off swap now. Not sure how I'd feel about that personally. Plus the engine was just sitting on a tire...

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Accident !!  Safety Features did work and I am alive, Now What ? tempImageoOUbAf

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I went through something similar a while back. My 2014 Ram, pics below, was totaled when a distracted driver (using his damn phone) ran a red light and hit me doing approx. 40 MPH.

I independently determined a range of values for the truck using KBB.com with the lower end being trade value and the upper end being retail value. I'd suggest you do the same. Then you know whether or not the other driver's insurance company is bending you and your insurance company over.

Some Other Key Points:

1. As stated stay frosty on any response citing unexpected mechanical failure as a reason to reduce the other party's liability & payout.

2. Don't let your insurance company weasel you down either. Remind them, as often as necessary, that the other party was at fault and their insurance company will reimburse yours.

3. Using the same approach as item no. 2, tell your insurance company that you should not be held to a deductible in this case as you did nothing wrong, you did not cause the accident and the actions or inactions of others were the root cause of the loss. Remember, they will get reimbursed for your total claim so your deductible is a reimbursable item if they waive it.

4. Once you receive settlement on the claim don't forget to remove your accessories. Most insurance companies limit the amount they will pay for accessories added to the vehicle. In my case I had my receipts, I reminded my insurer that the other party was paying the bill and that my insurance would not be out of pocket. Then I removed all my personal possessions and accessories on the truck before they hauled it off to be parted out.

What the truck looked like before the accident:

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Accident !!  Safety Features did work and I am alive, Now What ? 14 65

After:

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Accident !!  Safety Features did work and I am alive, Now What ? 14 66

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
holy crap!!!!!! thats crazy - glad youre ok...thats what you have insurance for - Jeep will be replaced/fixed

so youve 100% convinced me to get a dash cam----what kind is that?
Sponsored