Jeep 4xe gas mileage

dnegran

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I am the new owner of a 2021 Jeep 4xe. The marketing data says: 49 to 50 mpg. I have tried every combination of electric and gas modes. Here is my result: electric and hybrid - 22 mpg. Electric and e-Save - 18.7 mpg. Where is the great gas mileage? What are you 4xe owners getting.? The gas mileage is atrocious. The only way to get decent gas mileage is to go all electric and NEVER turn on the gas engine. I am about to turn the car back in as it is a joke on the buyer. My other car is a Hyundai that promised 53 mpg in town and I get around 60 ! What is wrong with this car? Help.

Dennis Negran
North Carol;ina
Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Your confusing mpg with mpg e, which is a calculated number for electric vehicles. 22-25 using hybrid mode is about normal.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
We should sticky one of these posts.

The 50mpge you see in the marketing material refers to mpge, not mpg. This is made up metric, which is suppose to represent combined mpg and electric plug in usage.

YMMV on actual mpg. If you are able to plug in regularly, and only travel short distances, you would have considerably better mpg than someone who rarely plugs in, or never plugs in.

Without plugging in, you are still suffering from the aerodynamic penalty of all Wranglers (yay brick), while also incurring the 800+ Lbs or so weight penalty from lugging around the battery.

For folks who drive more than 40 miles per day, and/or don’t have easy access to charging, the standard 2.0L would be a better fuel efficient option.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
We should sticky one of these posts.

The 50mpge you see in the marketing material refers to mpge, not mpg. This is made up metric, which is suppose to represent combined mpg and electric plug in usage.

YMMV on actual mpg. If you are able to plug in regularly, and only travel short distances, you would have considerably better mpg than someone who rarely plugs in, or never plugs in.

Without plugging in, you are still suffering from the aerodynamic penalty of all Wranglers (yay brick), while also incurring the 800+ Lbs or so weight penalty from lugging around the battery.

For folks who drive more than 40 miles per day, and/or don’t have easy access to charging, the standard 2.0L would be a better fuel efficient option.
Yup.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
The 4Xe would be perfect for me as I work from home and rarely drive more than 20 miles at a time (not counting off road trips). But I don’t want a 4 door.

Sponsored

Zombienation

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara stingray
So I am still on my first tank of gas, 330 miles and still have 3/4 of a tank of gas left. The 4xe is awesome for a short commute or running errands around town but not for everyone. Good luck

halsjeep

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
I am the new owner of a 2021 Jeep 4xe. The marketing data says: 49 to 50 mpg. I have tried every combination of electric and gas modes. Here is my result: electric and hybrid - 22 mpg. Electric and e-Save - 18.7 mpg. Where is the great gas mileage? What are you 4xe owners getting.? The gas mileage is atrocious. The only way to get decent gas mileage is to go all electric and NEVER turn on the gas engine. I am about to turn the car back in as it is a joke on the buyer. My other car is a Hyundai that promised 53 mpg in town and I get around 60 ! What is wrong with this car? Help.

Dennis Negran
North Carol;ina
How often are you charging it ? I typically charge once a day and get well over 30+ mpg.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
PHEVs like the 4xE are the ultimate YMMV vehicles. You could go 1400 miles on one tank of gas AND spend $0.00 on electricity (if your employer offers free charging for instance). Or you could end up averaging roughly the same fuel efficiency as the rest of us ICE peasants due to your use case. It varies greatly. I hope the OP figures out what’s best for him.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
PHEVs like the 4xE are the ultimate YMMV vehicles. You could go 1400 miles on one tank of gas AND spend $0.00 on electricity (if your employer offers free charging for instance). Or you could end up averaging roughly the same fuel efficiency as the rest of us ICE peasants due to your use case. It varies greatly. I hope the OP figures out what’s best for him.
I think they are a great stop-gap until such time as the electric situation sorts itself out. Better batteries, Hydrogen or something else.
For people like me who live less about 10 miles from work, have solar with battery backups and a wall charger they are perfect. I can use battery power and almost no cost to myself and when I want to take a longer trip, I don't have to care about locating a charger or range outside the confines of a normal ICE car.

I will keep my diesel rubicon though.
Since it was also shown that the new full electric is using the same chassis and running gear, it should be possible to convert to electric in 10 years if needed.

halsjeep

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Charging is definitely the key. I only charge at work. This past week I have not been able to fully charge and see a significant decline in fuel economy. This week only averaging 27 mpg. When I fully charge everyday I am getting over 30 and i commute 45 miles a day.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I totally ignore the reported MPG and don't even have it on screen.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I totally ignore the reported MPG and don't even have it on screen.
I'd like to hear what others are getting. I'm seriously considering a 4xe and my JL is only 6mths old. However, I want to hear more about what kind of gas mileage people are getting.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
No one on here reports gas mileage since they continue to charge the battery. if one ran totally on gas, then they could report the actual fuel economy. I guess the gas mileage is less than the std 2.0 in any of the models since your toting 700+ lbs of battery around.

At my electric rate, it is a wash since the cost to charge the battery is the same as gas. But the 7500$ kickback courtesy of the US taxpayer is the best thing about these. Time will tell if the added complexity bites owners in the ass as these things age. One thing that should not be done is subsidize leases, the 7500$ should only go to people who actually buy them.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
No one on here reports gas mileage since they continue to charge the battery. if one ran totally on gas, then they could report the actual fuel economy. I guess the gas mileage is less than the std 2.0 in any of the models since your toting 700+ lbs of battery around.

At my electric rate, it is a wash since the cost to charge the battery is the same as gas. But the 7500$ kickback courtesy of the US taxpayer is the best thing about these. Time will tell if the added complexity bites owners in the ass as these things age. One thing that should not be done is subsidize leases, the 7500$ should only go to people who actually buy them.
I don't wan to over think it. Simply what does the readout say on the dash for your mileage? Or better yet, how much less per week/month do you find yourself spending on gas. Sorry, but I'm going to cross post this statement somewhere else.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I test drove a Wrangler 4Xe for a day, I ignored the dash read out because it is not relevant, the actual gas mileage means nothing. Now miles driven on the battery vs engine are relevant. If you are buying for fuel economy you will be disappointed.
Sponsored