• 17-Inch x 8.0-Inch Bronze Beadlock-Capable Wheel
  • 35-Inch Tire Rubicon 392 Suspension
  • 4.56 Rear Axle Ratio
  • LT315/70R17C 113/110S Tires
  • Hinge-Gate Reinforcement by Mopar®
  • Jack Spacer by Mopar®
  • Tire Relocation Kit by Mopar®
  • Wheel-Flare Extensions
So this confirms there will be suspension changes.
On the V6 XR's the springs are 1.5 inches higher than a standard Rubicon. The shocks are Mopar Mono-Tubes as compared to 392 which has Fox shocks. Although there should be a difference between the spring rates for a heavy engine/392 vs the V6, I'm hearing it's the same rate. The front is quite stiff so it wouldn't surprise me. Immediately after buying my V6 XR I bought 2.5 Fox DSC's and it improved the ride on and off-road dramatically. Next step is a triple rate Rock Crawler spring.
Sponsored

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Possible, but not sure I would call it confirmed. "35-Inch Tire Rubicon 392 Suspension" kinda doesn't make sense.
It's not the same as the 392 if you have a V6 XR it's completely different shocks Fox on 392 vs Mopar rough riding shocks on the V6 XR version.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Xtreme Recon 35-Inch Tire Package
$3,995
  • 110-MPH Vehicle Max Speed Calibration
  • 17-Inch x 8.0-Inch Bronze Beadlock-Capable Wheel
  • 35-Inch Tire Rubicon 392 Suspension
  • 4.56 Rear Axle Ratio
  • LT315/70R17C 113/110S Tires
  • Hinge-Gate Reinforcement by Mopar®
  • Jack Spacer by Mopar®
  • Tire Relocation Kit by Mopar®
  • Wheel-Flare Extensions
So this confirms there will be suspension changes.
Let's talk about what you don't get with this package outside of a great warranty. You will not have good or even decent articulation as the bump stop is tuned down very close to the bottom compared to a regular Rubicon where there is much more space between the bumpstop and bottom. Also, the XR comes with cheap Mopar stiff shocks and what appears to be a heavy rate spring in the front. I believe Jeep doesn't want these things to roll over so they don't make it very flexible. You do get strong components and factory welded dropdown brackets on the axles and a very strong set of axles. The 4:56 gears are the best, giving this Jeep really good get up and go for a V6. The wheels could use some backspacing and the springs should be a lighter rate.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Let's talk about what you don't get with this package outside of a great warranty. You will not have good or even decent articulation as the bump stop is tuned down very close to the bottom compared to a regular Rubicon where there is much more space between the bumpstop and bottom.
I don't know exactly how much longer the bump stops are, but the shocks have a compressed length that is roughly 1" longer than the standard Rubicon. The shock stroke is roughly equal to a Rubicon also. I would expect articulation to be pretty close to... a standard Rubicon.

Additionally the added wheel offset would help it's RTI score when compared to a standard Rubicon.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I don't know exactly how much longer the bump stops are, but the shocks have a compressed length that is roughly 1" longer than the standard Rubicon. The shock stroke is roughly equal to a Rubicon also. I would expect articulation to be pretty close to... a standard Rubicon.

Additionally the added wheel offset would help it's RTI score when compared to a standard Rubicon.
Not even close. I have a new XR just bought it last week and looked at both. Not complaining but the movement is not nearly as good on an XR as it is on a standard. A 1 to 1.5 inch lift on the front maybe better springs would likely get you close enough with a great set of shocks but it will definitely mean more money ontop of the XR package. Springs or 1 inch spacer and shocks definitely needed. The XR's do not have Fox shocks they are standard mopar junk.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Not even close. I have a new XR just bought it last week and looked at both. Not complaining but the movement is not nearly as good on an XR as it is on a standard. A 1 to 1.5 inch lift on the front maybe better springs would likely get you close enough with a great set of shocks but it will definitely mean more money ontop of the XR package. Springs or 1 inch spacer and shocks definitely needed. The XR's do not have Fox shocks they are standard mopar junk.
Spring length is pretty negligible to articulation with the rates in the JL. Assuming the tires don't rub, articulation is a result of compressed shock length vs. bump stop and the shock's stroke length.

Even shitty shocks can allow for good articulation if they have the stroke length.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Spring length is pretty negligible to articulation with the rates in the JL. Assuming the tires don't rub, articulation is a result of compressed shock length vs. bump stop and the shock's stroke length.

Even shitty shocks can allow for good articulation if they have the stroke length.
I'm suggesting doing what I have done to help with the issue and provide some more space between the bumpstop. Go with a Fox shock which gives you an extra 1.5 inches, go with a triple rate spring to lift the unit up smooth out the ride and provide 1.5 inches of gain in that articulation. You obviously can't go down on your bumpstops or expect more travel without a longer spring and slightly longer shock that can extend without bottoming out either. I'm just trying to help XR owners as many are noticing very little articulation and not the greatest ride. The springs will arrive soon and a real world fix for this can be observed and commented on.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm suggesting doing what I have done to help with the issue and provide some more space between the bumpstop. Go with a Fox shock which gives you an extra 1.5 inches, go with a triple rate spring to lift the unit up smooth out the ride and provide 1.5 inches of gain in that articulation. You obviously can't go down on your bumpstops or expect more travel without a longer spring and slightly longer shock that can extend without bottoming out either. I'm just trying to help XR owners as many are noticing very little articulation and not the greatest ride. The springs will arrive soon and a real world fix for this can be observed and commented on.
Articulation ≠ bump travel.

We are talking about different things.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I'm referring to up down travel specific to the XR, along with a little extra space comes a little extra articulation. I'm not under some kind of illusion that the XR is ever going to be a huge flexor like the ones built from the ground up, otherwise no one would be buying the XR to serve as an out of the box ok off roader slightly more capable than the stock Rubicon.

Sponsored

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
I think jury is still out on the “junk” shocks. The Fox-branded shocks on the regular 392 are the ones that have been caught leaking, just saying 🤔. Scott Blum with Jeep over on the FB page has said several times the XR mopar shocks are better than the fox-branded… but has also failed to state ‘why’ they are better.

That said, all I know is, dare I say it, I love the ride of the XR on road and off. I’ve had very little fade over several miles of corrugated roads, the decreased up travel has not yet prevented me from getting through any obstacle (east coast mtns) and the vehicle stays really composed (for a solid axle rig). The only time it’s gotten out of sorts for me is at higher speeds on corrugated roads. YMMV.

But, I am looking forward to some of the suspension options presumably hitting the market later this year from RK, Teraflex and the like.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I think jury is still out on the “junk” shocks. The Fox-branded shocks on the regular 392 are the ones that have been caught leaking, just saying 🤔. Scott Blum with Jeep over on the FB page has said several times the XR mopar shocks are better than the fox-branded… but has also failed to state ‘why’ they are better.

That said, all I know is, dare I say it, I love the ride of the XR on road and off. I’ve had very little fade over several miles of corrugated roads, the decreased up travel has not yet prevented me from getting through any obstacle (east coast mtns) and the vehicle stays really composed (for a solid axle rig). The only time it’s gotten out of sorts for me is at higher speeds on corrugated roads. YMMV.

But, I am looking forward to some of the suspension options presumably hitting the market later this year from RK, Teraflex and the like.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ring-a-392-why-so-many-xrs.85925/post-1796350

another opinion

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon

The Mopar shocks compared to the 2.5 DSC's are not even close to handling on or off-road, those stock shocks have it jumping up and down even around town accelerating from a stoplight let alone on a rough road at 70MPH. The stock shocks wouldn't even allow for those speeds I know because I tried it. Anything coming from a stock deal from Fox/branded is likely not going to be the same quality as the better 2.5's it will be a lower end model of Fox shocks just to keep costs down on the production of these XR's. They won't go all out with a 3K shock it would add too much to their base cost.

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
Not even close. I have a new XR just bought it last week and looked at both. Not complaining but the movement is not nearly as good on an XR as it is on a standard. A 1 to 1.5 inch lift on the front maybe better springs would likely get you close enough with a great set of shocks but it will definitely mean more money ontop of the XR package. Springs or 1 inch spacer and shocks
The Mopar shocks compared to the 2.5 DSC's are not even close to handling on or off-road, those stock shocks have it jumping up and down even around town accelerating from a stoplight let alone on a rough road at 70MPH. The stock shocks wouldn't even allow for those speeds I know because I tried it. Anything coming from a stock deal from Fox/branded is likely not going to be the same quality as the better 2.5's it will be a lower end model of Fox shocks just to keep costs down on the production of these XR's. They won't go all out with a 3K shock it would add too much to their base cost.
Nor could they … DSC 2.5 is a different beast altogether.

DarinFred

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (in D1 status)
Aaaaaannnnddddd, it’s gone. Discontinued.
Sponsored