Sponsored

Jeep 2.0T Oil Filter Opinions

What oil filter would you use on your Jeep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
I've decided to do an oil change on my Jeep for the first time. To be completely honest, this is the first time I will have changed the oil in a modern vehicle. (My experience is limited to old tractors, lawn mowers, and snow blowers.)

Anyway, it seems like a lot of people think full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 is a good option to use in 2.0L Jeeps. However I'm not sure what the consensus is for the oil filter. From my research a lot of people stick with the OEM Mopar filter, but I've also heard people rave about K&N and Wix.

I'm considering using one of the following:

K&N HP-1017 Performance Gold
Wix XP 57060XP

Any thoughts on these filters, or on your filter of choice?

Thanks!
Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Do some research on filters. Not what some people on the internet say to use. You will find some good answers.

OP
OP
SnowyJeep

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
Do some research on filters. Not what some people on the internet say to use. You will find some good answers.
I've done my research and believe the two filters in my original post are adequate. What's wrong with tapping into other people's experiences and getting their opinions?

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
The three filters you are showing will all do the job just fine. I tend to use the factory Mopar filters and my jeep but Wix is an excellent choice as well. I use the K&N on my diesel truck and have not had any issues for 100,000 miles. I would just avoid Fram and a few of the other lower cost brands. I think you will be fine with either of the brands you narrows it down too.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I've done my research and believe the two filters in my original post are adequate. What's wrong with tapping into other people's experiences and getting their opinions?
Because of all the ignorance about oil, oil filters, and octane for 3 quick examples.
The three filters you are showing will all do the job just fine. I tend to use the factory Mopar filters and my jeep but Wix is an excellent choice as well. I use the K&N on my diesel truck and have not had any issues for 100,000 miles. I would just avoid Fram and a few of the other lower cost brands. I think you will be fine with either of the brands you narrows it down too.
Case in point

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I use a Royal Purple extended length filter to get more filter area. Works well and see a real world couple degrees cooler engine oil - pump doesn't need to work so hard.

I also cut them open after changing to check for metal and pretty happy with the construction - not some cheap piece of crap.

Would recommend highly.

FYI - this filter is 1.5 inches longer than the factory filter; but fits fine and clears my skid fine and still not lower then the top of the oil pan - no reduction in clearance.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A61MAC

Last edited:

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just so you know, the filters you mention and many others, are made by this company. They do lots of private label filters. Lately they have been gobbling up the filter market and consolidating the filters. Plus they are a major OEM supplier. I've been in their plants and they are like battery plants. Lots of name brands that compete against each other going right down the same assemble line. The spec change is the label and paint on the outside. We use Parts Master. Guess what, the for mentioned company owns them and WIX along with the others.

I suspect that the intranets will tell you the best filter you can buy due to the blasckstones. Then people will tell you they have gone 200K on their car using the best of the best, yet I can point out daily cars I see that use general oil and filter without the blackstones and they are at 400k.

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Check out ProjectFarm (YouTube) for oil filter comparison. Verdict: Fram is junk, but (believe it or not) Walmart’s branded filter is in the top 10%

Sponsored

Deleted member 43521

Engine Masters did a complete breakdown and test on the more common filters. FRAM, Motorcraft, WIx, K&N, a reusable billet race filter, and no filter. The consensus is the K&N Gold filter is the winner. Filtering 7.6 gph at 10microns while maintaining the same flow as the rest of the filters at 20-60 microns
Sponsored