Sponsored

Jeep 2.0 With BSG and ESS not working

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Just went thru this. Battery charger helped for a few months. Took it to dealer, they would not replace it until it was toast. (Still a few months left on 3 yr warranty). my battery died last week, Jeep completely dead, error lights flashing. Just bought a battery out of pocket, didn’t want to deal with a tow to the dealer and it sitting for a few weeks to replace it.

think about getting it replaced, don’t want to end up stranded
Same setup 2019 JLUR, 2.0 with e-torque
Sponsored

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
The main battery still has to be charged for ESS to work. The likelihood of the absolute garbage main battery failing is much higher than the 48V battery.

Have you checked voltage of your main battery at all?

Yes. Even hooked it to an automatic tender that alerts when it's a bad battery, etc.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
What is the best main battery to buy to replace the OEM? Is the AGM style better than the regular lead acid for the 2L Turbo.
I don't have a 2.0, but I'm almost certain every battery for any JL has to be AGM.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
A battery can test the correct volts at rest ; it has to be load tested to show bad cell, low voltage under load.

Sponsored

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
A battery can test the correct volts at rest ; it has to be load tested to show bad cell, low voltage under load.

Just slapped my schumacher load tester on it and it was fine. Though I admit this was with the 48v battery still hooked to it.

I'll test it tomorrow with it disconnected because it'll be above freezing. The load tester makes a nice hand warmer, though.

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
What is the best main battery to buy to replace the OEM? Is the AGM style better than the regular lead acid for the 2L Turbo.

ALSO can we install the dual battery setup with the e-torque 48v battery / BSG configuration (non ESS)???

I just pulled up the felt cover on my 12v battery on my 2.0 etorque and it's an AGM. Which I understand because they can handle being bounced around more than a normal lead acid but ffffff they're pricier.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Just slapped my schumacher load tester on it and it was fine. Though I admit this was with the 48v battery still hooked to it.

I'll test it tomorrow with it disconnected because it'll be above freezing. The load tester makes a nice hand warmer, though.
Gotta isolate the bro. If not, the results can sometimes punk ya…..
Don‘t forget to put a wrench to all the battery terminal connections and push the fuses, they lie too. Good luck!

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
This is what I'm getting under the load test. It goes here and stays steady for as long as I'm testing then goes back up to around 12.2 volts resting.

48v disconnected.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep 2.0 With BSG and ESS not working jeeploadtest

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This is what I'm getting under the load test. It goes here and stays steady for as long as I'm testing then goes back up to around 12.2 volts resting.

48v disconnected.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep 2.0 With BSG and ESS not working jeeploadtest
12.2 resting is nearly dead.

Sponsored

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
Yes. The nominal “12v” is a pretty bad descriptor. It’s a 12.6V battery. 6 2.1V cells.

I googlefu'd and edited it with a picture of the charger it's been hooked up to for around an hour. Looks like it was pretty low.