Service

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Guess I'm not going anywhere to eat tonight, it's gonna be a while before this thing is done.
Ah hell it’s not like it’s an emergency. It will probably start up the Jeep just fine for another few months. Or days, depending on weather.

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
Ah hell it’s not like it’s an emergency. It will probably start up the Jeep just fine for another few months. Or days, depending on weather.

Yeah but I'm too lazy to remove the charger, hook up the battery, go out, come back, detach it, put the charger back on it.

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S

Aight so I broke down and went grocery shopping. After the charger was green for a while I disconnected it and let the battery sit for over an hour. Tester said it was good so I slapped it together and went for a drive.

Still says ASS not working because battery charging. Charging voltage was 14.4/14.5 via the dash readout.

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Aight so I broke down and went grocery shopping. After the charger was green for a while I disconnected it and let the battery sit for over an hour. Tester said it was good so I slapped it together and went for a drive.

Still says ASS not working because battery charging. Charging voltage was 14.4/14.5 via the dash readout.
You might be able to limp for a while with ESS turned off but it sure seems like you might have a loose connection (especially at the shunt on the negative terminal). With your batteries isolated and testing good but not behaving like happy cells seems a bit off. Best of luck, hope it doesn’t leave you dead in traffic, not fun…..

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
You might be able to limp for a while with ESS turned off but it sure seems like you might have a loose connection (especially at the shunt on the negative terminal). With your batteries isolated and testing good but not behaving like happy cells seems a bit off. Best of luck, hope it doesn’t leave you dead in traffic, not fun…..

The adventures continue. Dealer can't get me in for a week (after initially telling me he could get me in tomorrow then realizing he was reading the date wrong).

My dash readout says 12.2 when not running... however I isolated the battery and let it sit for like 7 hours then tested it. Read 12.6 solid, even after repeated load tests. So either the dash readout is wrong (wouldn't be surprised) or my big fancy analog tester is wrong.

Probably going to fire up Torque and/or Jscan next to see what it says. Also if I can find my damn multimeter anywhere.

BallisticBurrito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S
To anyone still reading this (or if this stands as one man's spiral into insanity) the story continues;

Couldn't find old cheap multimeter so I went and got new fancy one. After driving to and from Lowes the freshly re-isolated battery reads 12.4v (while the analog tester still reads 12.6 pushing to .8) while the 48v converted leads TO the battery read 12.1.

I have no idea if this means anything to anyone but here you go.

And I later realized I'm an idiot for thinking of believing the dash readout because that's WITH the load of all the electronics on it.
Sponsored