Sponsored

JCR Offroad half doors

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
Got my JCR Offroad half doors back from the paint shop and thought I would give some feedback.
1. They're very basic. A sheet of aluminum and simple hardware
2. They're very light. I think the shipping weight for both doors was 30 lbs
3. The latch mechanism leaves a lot to be desired. It's just a little rubber ball to push towards the front to unlock from the inside. The outside handle is better but it's connected via a small cable (2nd picture)
4. The outside handle is connected by a C shaped bracket that just sits on the inside and uses pressure between the bracket and the outer edge of the outside handle. The handle is connected to the bracket by two sheet metal screws that screw into two PLASTIC holes in the handle. I would prefer the attachment point be metal with proper bolts. (2nd picture)
5. The door stop uses hard rubber stops to prevent metal on metal contact (3rd picture). The problem with this is there isn't enough give in the rubber to allow a tight shut on the door. The latch requires you to shut just a bit beyond the latch point in order to properly latch. Because the rubber isn't soft enough you end up with a door that has about 1/4" of play between the latch and the door stop. I've taken it on the highway and didn't notice excessive rattling but would prefer it be a tighter fit. I might add some hollow weatherstripping to the stop to try to give some resistance against the latch.
6. The doors are "bolted on" by two regular old nylon nuts. I don't understand why they wouldn't design it so the original torx bolts be used and not be as noticeable (4th picture)

All in all I'm happy with the doors and the way they look on the jeep. The functionality isn't the best but I primarily got them because I love the look of half doors on jeeps

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_4344.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Looks awesome!!! Good to know about the functionality "issues", thanks.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
They look good! Have you been able to hit the trail with them yet and see if they rattle? Do you think there's enough space to add mirrors to the doors? How much was it to get them painted?

I've been thinking of going this route mainly for winter/trail use only, I love my full doors and hard top for FL summers lol.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

With the painted to match roll bars it kind of looks like a full door still from the side.

I do like how these look the most like an oem door from the outside.

OP
OP
elduderino83

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
They look good! Have you been able to hit the trail with them yet and see if they rattle? Do you think there's enough space to add mirrors to the doors? How much was it to get them painted?

I've been thinking of going this route mainly for winter/trail use only, I love my full doors and hard top for FL summers lol.
I haven't had time to hit a trail yet but I'm sure they will rattle some. I'm certain if I attach a peice of weatherstripping to the stop somehow it will take care of it. The doors are so light it probably won't take too much pressure to keep them from rattling.
There's probably enough space to add mirrors but it will depend on the type of mirror. I just went with the ram ball option in this thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/doorless-mirrors.5579/page-16#post-760970

They're attached to the body so I can take the doors off and keep the mirrors where they're at to stay legal.
Painting them was the biggest surprise, $800! I needed them done on a short timeline so I didn't shop around. Just found a shop that could do it the next day. I'd be interested in hearing what other people paid I don't know much about the cost of automotive painting but that seemed like a lot. They did do a really nice job though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
elduderino83

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
With the painted to match roll bars it kind of looks like a full door still from the side.

I do like how these look the most like an oem door from the outside.
Here's some comparison pictures. After looking at these I was surprised how similar they looked. I just didn't like the gap between the window frame and the roll bars when the top is off

DDE4A959-CDA3-44C8-95E1-C2C5DCCB2473.jpeg

E662641D-CCBE-439E-94E6-C8D8CF71473C.jpeg

3Pedalsand4Wheeldrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door 6sp
Vehicle Showcase
Got my JCR Offroad half doors back from the paint shop and thought I would give some feedback.
1. They're very basic. A sheet of aluminum and simple hardware
2. They're very light. I think the shipping weight for both doors was 30 lbs
3. The latch mechanism leaves a lot to be desired. It's just a little rubber ball to push towards the front to unlock from the inside. The outside handle is better but it's connected via a small cable (2nd picture)
4. The outside handle is connected by a C shaped bracket that just sits on the inside and uses pressure between the bracket and the outer edge of the outside handle. The handle is connected to the bracket by two sheet metal screws that screw into two PLASTIC holes in the handle. I would prefer the attachment point be metal with proper bolts. (2nd picture)
5. The door stop uses hard rubber stops to prevent metal on metal contact (3rd picture). The problem with this is there isn't enough give in the rubber to allow a tight shut on the door. The latch requires you to shut just a bit beyond the latch point in order to properly latch. Because the rubber isn't soft enough you end up with a door that has about 1/4" of play between the latch and the door stop. I've taken it on the highway and didn't notice excessive rattling but would prefer it be a tighter fit. I might add some hollow weatherstripping to the stop to try to give some resistance against the latch.
6. The doors are "bolted on" by two regular old nylon nuts. I don't understand why they wouldn't design it so the original torx bolts be used and not be as noticeable (4th picture)

All in all I'm happy with the doors and the way they look on the jeep. The functionality isn't the best but I primarily got them because I love the look of half doors on jeeps

Jeep Wrangler JL JCR Offroad half doors E662641D-CCBE-439E-94E6-C8D8CF71473C

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to have painted?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Here's some comparison pictures. After looking at these I was surprised how similar they looked. I just didn't like the gap between the window frame and the roll bars when the top is off

The half door certainly looks great - I've got a 2dr white JLR also and I've been toying with painting the sport bar black to draw the eye away from it but have been unsure if it'd look good or not. I did a quick bad photoshop on yours to see how it might look, and I think it actually looks pretty cool. Maybe something to think about to give it more of the classic feel.
Jeep Wrangler JL JCR Offroad half doors Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 1.54.42 AM

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
Good looking jeep. Agree with all your points on the write up and I'd like to add that I got a lot more leg room around the knees with the JCR doors since the doors are about 3" thinner than the full doors. At 6'4" that extra room is nice.

OP
OP
elduderino83

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to have painted?
It's been a while but I think it was as much as the doors 6-700. I needed them done in a couple days so I didn't shop around just went to the place that could get them done in time. Wish I would've asked for a quote I might have changed my mind and do it myself

Sponsored

OP
OP
elduderino83

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
Since this post has revived I'll add that you'll want to figure out a way to stop the door from swinging all the way open and bumping your custom mirrors. I think I got this from a picture hanging kit. Bolted it to the bottom bolt on the door added a screw type carabineer and a Velcro strip. Strip allows you to adjust the length and just hooks around the inner door hook for the regular door cables
Jeep Wrangler JL JCR Offroad half doors 98DDFC73-E5C5-42F9-A5EB-D29F02AAC221

3Pedalsand4Wheeldrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door 6sp
Vehicle Showcase
It's been a while but I think it was as much as the doors 6-700. I needed them done in a couple days so I didn't shop around just went to the place that could get them done in time. Wish I would've asked for a quote I might have changed my mind and do it myself
Cool, thanks.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Since this post has revived I'll add that you'll want to figure out a way to stop the door from swinging all the way open and bumping your custom mirrors. I think I got this from a picture hanging kit. Bolted it to the bottom bolt on the door added a screw type carabineer and a Velcro strip. Strip allows you to adjust the length and just hooks around the inner door hook for the regular door cables
Jeep Wrangler JL JCR Offroad half doors 98DDFC73-E5C5-42F9-A5EB-D29F02AAC221
So the JCR doors doesnt have a loop to stop it from swinging out wide?