First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
I am looking at the JCR Off Road Rock Sliders. My question is should I pay the extra for the powder coating or buy the bare metal and coat it with truck bed liner or similar?

Thanks
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
I am looking at the JCR Off Road Rock Sliders. My question is should I pay the extra for the powder coating or buy the bare metal and coat it with truck bed liner or similar?

Thanks
If you plan on using them for their intended purpose get bare metal, as any solutions the paint will be removed

Tragdor

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the JCR classic sliders with the powder coating. Mine came with a few spots with deep scratches, despite decent not great packing. I’d pass on it and go bare metal and do it myself if presented the option again. It wasn’t a huge deal as they are going to get scratched anyway.

Hellow0rld

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I bought the JCR classic sliders with the powder coating. Mine came with a few spots with deep scratches, despite decent not great packing. I’d pass on it and go bare metal and do it myself if presented the option again. It wasn’t a huge deal as they are going to get scratched anyway.
Do you have any photos of the JCR Offroad rock sliders and feedback if possible. Looking to order these soon. Thanks

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Do you have any photos of the JCR Offroad rock sliders and feedback if possible. Looking to order these soon. Thanks
I have some photo's of them on my build thread here on the forum

The sliders have taken very hard hits! I like them a lot

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 1987 Jeep Comanche
Occupation
Manufacturer
We now powder coat in house, and the first stage of the process (after metal prep) is a zinc-rich primer. This gives great adhesion to the base metal, and also provides corrosion resistance. On top of that is our black powder coat. The nice part is that if the top layer chips or scratches off during use, the zinc layer underneath provides additional protection. A quick touch up of the scratch or chip is usually all that is needed as maintenance.

Over smaller areas this paint looks very similar to our powder coat (once it dries,) and is available in most parts stores.
http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-wrinkle-plus-coatings

If you are going to order our product bare and plan on coating it yourself with paint, we recommend wiping the product down with some sort of solvent (thinner, reducer, etc) then applying one or two coats of metal etch primer. On top of that we usually do a couple coats of automotive primer, the a couple top coats of your final finish. Satin or Semi-gloss usually has good coverage and a uniform look. Flat tends to look chalky or blotchy, gloss will show ANY surface imperfection. The Rust-Oleum Hammered products have a unique look and dry to a very hard durable finish. The most important step is starting with clean metal, and using the etch primer to promote adhesion of the subsequent layers.

Hope that helps!

Tragdor

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have any on hand but the sliders are incredibly solid. I’d skip powder coating and would spray them myself as they are going to get mega scratched anyway.

I did have a ton of problems with squeaking on the drivers side slider only. I ended up coating the mounting bolts and surfaces of the slider that presses against the body with white lithium grease. I’ll probably find some heavy rubber or belt like material or something to mount in between later.

Very well made though.

Sponsored

Hellow0rld

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My JCR rock slider was delivered in 1 day wow! Was able to test fit them and it lined up perfectly. It was a pain getting the 6 frame bolts to come off but putting pressure on it by pulling down on the fat washer helped. Any idea what is the torque setting when tightening back the frame bolts?

slider2.jpg

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 1987 Jeep Comanche
Occupation
Manufacturer

jeep31

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
Was able to test fit them and it lined up perfectly.
I wish I had the same experience. I was really excited to install my JCR Offroad rock sliders today (JLSL-CL-4D).
The holes for the body mount bolts didn't align so I couldn't bolt it on. But worse, one of the hole for the body mount (the further on the back) is too low, and there is a least 1/2" height gap... Disappointed.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I wish I had the same experience. I was really excited to install my JCR Offroad rock sliders today (JLSL-CL-4D).
The holes for the body mount bolts didn't align so I couldn't bolt it on. But worse, one of the hole for the body mount (the further on the back) is too low, and there is a least 1/2" height gap... Disappointed.
Strange, my bolted up perfectly and have been taking abuse ever since!

OP
OP
MikeJLURubi

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
I had no issues with alignment or bolting on either. That is strange, I bet JCR will make it right. Great company.
Sponsored