Sponsored

JCR bumper and tire carrier installed

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
Let me know how it goes, remember to do the license plate relocation like I did you need Both the JCR license plate relocate kit (which comes with the adventure tire carrier make sure they send you the JL camera kit) and the Ace plate relocate. The Ace relocate kit only comes with one led license plate bolt light. Buy a few extras on eBay for like 8 bucks or Less. I used two parts from the jcr kit, the third brake and one of the metal brackets and added it to the Ace kit. Get with me when you have all your parts and have the bumper and tire carrier installed. I will help u thru the rest if u need it. Also do not use the studs that JCR sends in the tire carrier kit. They are not the same as the factory wheel studs. Go to the auto parts store and get the same size factory jl studs. Click on my name and search thru my posts, I have more info on that.
Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
... remember to do the license plate relocation like I did you need Both the JCR license plate relocate kit (...) and the Ace plate relocate.
Did I miss what the defect was in the license plate relocation bracket that came with your JCR Offroad bumper that prompted you to add the bracket from ACE Engineering?

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That thing is a beast!

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
This is my opinion, the JCR plate relocate bracket is not up to their standards. Their bumpers, tire carriers, sliders are among the best out there, however the license plate relocate sucks. So I went looking for another option. I found the Ace plate relocate, it's not without its issues too, like wrong camera angle, only one bolt light, no third brake light but much better. I had to mod all the issues and I'm happy with the results.
Now with 315 x 70 x 17 cooper stt and mopar wheels.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sponsored

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
image.png
I keep losing the stupid sensor hole fillers, seems to me @JcrOffroad could just delete the holes when needed. They want to build custom stuff, well..

Last edited:

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 1987 Jeep Comanche
Occupation
Manufacturer
I keep losing the stupid sensor hole fillers, sees to me @JcrOffroad could just delete the holes when needed. They want to build custom stuff, well..
Sorry we missed the tag on this one. Sorry to hear this, have you tried using a dab of black RTV on them to keep them in? Can we send you some more to replace the ones you've lost?

DocJLU

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Took a few hours , still have to do the electrical . And I have a rattle ...need to figure that out. But other that that pretty happy so far !

IMG_6343.JPG

IMG_4945.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG
What did you come up with for wiring in the lights?

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
I know this is an older post, but I'll add since I installed the JCR Vanguard rear bumper and Shield tire carrier recently, including the Rotopax and Hi-Lift mount add-ons, and ran in to some of this stuff. I really like the bumper itself and it nearly meets up with my Rubicon fenders (might fit tighter on a non-Rubicon). On the Shield carrier, it opens with the tailgate, but the Adventure carrier does not and it also requires some more creative wiring than with the Shield which is just a mod on the factory wires (excluding the wiring for the license plate light, which I ran off of the original on the sensors wire bundle in the original bumper, up through the body by the taillights with my rear lights' wires, and then out to the carrier). It has adjustments to get rid of any noises. I ordered half of the parts direct from JCR and half from Quadratec, before I knew better - just order it direct; it does take several weeks to get. Packaging is great (unlike on my Smittybilt Stryker front bumper), and the install videos are really helpful.

On the sensors, my Rubicon plastic bumper configuration must be different than other bumpers and the videos. I had to pry off the OEM mounts glued-on, and then JB Weld them in place to the JCR and then pop the sensors in. They do still work, but I might have one at a slight angle. Will try again later with OEM ring mounts ordered from Quadratec IF those even are compatible, but it will be a pain to drill out the epoxy. The one problem was when I put the tire on, I put it 2 notches down from the top, which is nearly as low as the OEM tire will go (yes, I'm thinking about 35's next year when $ permits; did this all now as I broke the OEM bumper, and I had to get that license plate mounted). It sticks out a bit farther, so either that and/or the angle on one sensor is causing a proximity alert such that I have to turn the rear sensors off. I will try moving the tire up to the top mount location to see if that fixes it.

On the license plate relocate, it's OK but I wouldn't use it without mods. Specifically, add quick disconnects to the 3rd brake light & license plate wires back there so you can actually take it off to use the spare tire (not the best thought out design...)! Yes, it has a place for the camera and that is working just fine with stock wiring. The included LED light for the license plate uses cheap adhesive and lasted about 10 hours (still lights up, but dangles around); replace that with something like bolts with LEDs in them or another LED license plate light such as off of Amazon. I also plan to build a bracket (3 strips of stainless steel at hardware store, with 2 bent at an L; maybe in the cabinetry area) shortly to re-use the OEM 3rd brake light above the camera especially as I can't get the 1-wire included light to work AND I want to be sure it will pass inspection; it needs to be about 4" up to get it over the camera and can't put it below and thus upside down on the included mount, with mods, as it appears to have a drain hole in the bottom of it. Other license plate relocation options shown here seem better (I ordered one, but it never showed up), but get it off the bumper - mine was pretty mangled off-road on the OEM bumper.

On the Hi-Lift mount, it sticks out a bit to the right, and that rubbed on my LED tail lights a bit when opening the trunk for my recovery gear. Might want to take the foot off the lift or mount it with the base on the top side. I am now adding some taillight armor too.

Rear lights (Rigid cube midnight-edition diffuse - don't want to blind people, including on the trail behind me) are getting wired to Aux4. I thought about also wiring them to the factory reverse lights with a relay and diodes and maybe having an off/on switch in that, but I decided to keep it simple and maximum street legality.

LoD was the other brand I seriously considered for a rear bumper that has rear sensor holes, rear lighting, off-road protection of the pinch welds, and a tire carrier with a Hi-Lift jack option (space is at a premium in a 2 door and those roll bar mounts don't work on a 2 door, and heck-no to hood or front bumper mounts). I also liked LoD's front bumpers, but not the time I would have waited for one. There are a lot of LoD options, but price can add up (not that I didn't drop like $1800 on this JCR with all the options plus the Rigid cube lights) and I worried about excess weight. Smittybilt also had one, but the huge cage was a turnoff.

Hopefully this helps folks.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
61130ECD-98A3-40EC-BF09-EF3F88CF9016.jpeg
FE3FD921-92BB-4EDB-AB95-18DF3937D168.jpeg
A2C7B972-CC7E-4C09-88FB-08DFA9CE8849.jpeg
BE904CDB-CBF2-4093-A397-278460F14A3A.jpeg
My Jeep has changed a lot since the photos on my older posts, 3-1/2” Clayton lift (which is fantastic) je reel driveshafts 37” patigonia tires, but I got tired of the on and off with the license plate, license plate light, camera and third brake light. As you can see, I mounted a license plate bracket on the tire carrier using nutserts, used the factory camera mount and mounted the third brake light on my hardtop above the rear glass. Much better system. the tire carrier handles the weight of all my adventure stuff and does not bounce around.
The part that holds the carrier open does not work and pretty much never did. The screws are just to small to get tight, the stainless steel track the pin and the holes in the bumper don’t line up properly. It has to be exact for it to work properly.

Sponsored

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking about modifying my Shield carrier with an EAG bracket to put the camera in there so I no longer have to mess with or disconnect it and also use their license plate relocate. I would also rewire the 3rd brake light & license plate lights using a 4 wire trailer harness for an easier disconnect. My one hesitation, besides spending more $, is how well the bolt holes are going to align from EAG to JCR.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K79ZR4L/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=AD8AENOLLD9D9&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQ7NN4B/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A3TT0N6XXWGFQ2&psc=1

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking about modifying my Shield carrier with an EAG bracket to put the camera in there so I no longer have to mess with or disconnect it and also use their license plate relocate. I would also rewire the 3rd brake light & license plate lights using a 4 wire trailer harness for an easier disconnect. My one hesitation, besides spending more $, is how well the bolt holes are going to align from EAG to JCR.
So, before I go and try these modifications, here is what my JCR Shield carrier looks like now (yes, it's a little dirty, it's MN winter).
IMG_1623.jpg
The wiring has quick disconnects in it, but I should have used (& will) a much cleaner 4 wire trailer harness disconnect and wiring for the brake and license plate lights. I changed out the weak JCR license plate light for 2 bolt-lights from Amazon and made a bracket for the OEM 3rd brake light out of a couple of pieces of stainless steel from Home Depot (only some drilling on the top plate to fit the OEM connector), and put stainless wing nuts on the whole license plate attachment; there's also a 3rd brake light ring. Note the camera lens has fallen out somehow, which is either Minnesota cold (was 20F that day and freezing rain) and/or I'm guessing the steel JCR mount around the camera that the lens side can rub against. The camera issue, annoyance of removing all of this to change the tire, and the bolt pattern being opposite of most carriers (1 on top vs 2) plus using a different thread type for lug nuts has me trying to fit the above EAG on soon.

With no camera lens, I have no rear image:
IMG_1622.jpg
Also still can't use the parking sensors as mine were different than than the JCR design and I tried to glue them in, but I'll fix that later.

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg
Sponsored