Sponsored

Jamboree: CB or FRS

hcivic91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTR, RDX,
Very new to Jeep, ‘21 Rubi, and headed to next week’s Cumberland Jamboree. I see that Jamborees are going FRS for 2021 but have been unable to determine if FRS can/will be used for this event. Website says CB is recommended but doesn’t provide any more guidance than that and multiple forum searches have left me empty handed. Can anyone share their knowledge or experience to help point me in the right direction?

Thank you!
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Very new to Jeep, ‘21 Rubi, and headed to next week’s Cumberland Jamboree. I see that Jamborees are going FRS for 2021 but have been unable to determine if FRS can/will be used for this event. Website says CB is recommended but doesn’t provide any more guidance than that and multiple forum searches have left me empty handed. Can anyone share their knowledge or experience to help point me in the right direction?

Thank you!
I was at Jeep Jam in Ouray. I only had CB. The trail guides checked with everyone on the trail that day. Many had GMRS/FRS/Ham. The trail guides had a few extra Personal “walkie talkies” (baofengs, rugged) — were not provided by Jeep Jam—- and gave us one to use. The frequency was already set. I did not ask what frequency we were using (I’m assuming that it was GMRS —— license required to broadcast.—- but I don’t know. It could have been FRS - no license required). At the end of the day, I just returned the personal radio to the guide. Process worked great albeit a bit ad hoc. JJ should have just had midland provide 100 handhelds this year and have the trail guides pass them out/collect them as needed.

since I returned, i signed up my my GMRS license — $70 for 10 years, no test, covers me and immediate family— and I purchased a pair of midland FRS/GMRS walkie talkies:
https://www.amazon.com/GXT1000VP4-C...ocphy=9028777&hvtargid=pla-442012219828&psc=1

I am assuming that these Frequencies will be used in Moab when I go in a couple of weeks. If not, I will also have my CB.

did that help?

Last edited:

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Get your licenses and install all three (ham, GMRS, CB) :LOL:

Getting a couple of Midland GMRS handhelds can cover that base. If it is a jamboree with more than a handful of folks, odds are there will be all three flavors of radio in play.

OP
OP

hcivic91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTR, RDX,
thank you for the responses. I think I'll go for a couple of the handheld units and hope for the best.
Sponsored