Land Cruiser Prado Middle East
eb53a0d5-237f-45c8-853d-0332b32ge8156.jpg
Sponsored

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Yeah, and then struggle on bigger obstacles. It's all a trade off....but Jeep just did another poor job with break over on the JL.

The advantage of longer wheelbase is a real thing. There's a reason why Toyotas were spanking 2 door Jeeps on the more extreme trails until the 4 doors came out (and still needed a decent lift) and why a custom stretch was a necessity for the 2 doors.

In the video, he could have taken a slightly different line or used just touch of momentum (that he DID use in the Gwagen) in the Jeep and he would have made it up. I'd chalk that one up to driver error more than anything....but I freely admit the breakover and frame height on the Rubicon is pretty abysmal for an allegedly offroad package.
Considering the ZR2 has a better breakover angle than the four door Rubicon despite a additional 10 inches of wheelbase and smaller tires. Personally I think 106” wheelbase is perfect, had an Isuzu Rodeo that was pretty capable with 31’s and a limited slip. I just wish there were still SUVs besides the 4Runner and four door wrangler instead of countless CUVs.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Maybe the defender will soon join this competition!

3-15.jpg

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
"It's not the car you drive, but the driver driving the car that's doing the driving"
Hahaha, awesome reference! :) And as for the comparison - when Mercedes or Toyota want to make a fun vehicle in a bright color that I can easily remove the top and doors from, then we'll compare. Until then, I really couldn't GAS about the crap I'll probably never use anyway. And Jalopnik is the national enquirer of automobiles, I'd trust them more if they said aliens were working on the next Wrangler competition ;)

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Hahaha, awesome reference! :) And as for the comparison - when Mercedes or Toyota want to make a fun vehicle in a bright color that I can easily remove the top and doors from, then we'll compare. Until then, I really couldn't GAS about the crap I'll probably never use anyway. And Jalopnik is the national enquirer of automobiles, I'd trust them more if they said aliens were working on the next Wrangler competition ;)
If I based my opinions on a site I don't even visit, then I'd be crazy instead of insane. Who cares what some jorno thinks, end of the day he ain't us

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I didn't read the article, however I would say one of the major reasons I would choose the Wrangler over any other vehicle for off or on road use is because only the Wrangler can be fixed for cheap if it gets some body damage, also only the Wrangler has the ability to look acceptable with body damage.

BTW the new Defender looks shiny and seems like it would cost a pretty penny to fix if it got some light trail rash.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
It seems the Wrangler tires did no favors in the terrain in this test. Open diff'd Toyota Crawl Control was able to match a locked Rubicon. Jeep should emulate Toyota software and market it as Tread Lightly.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Keep in mind that the Wrangler is the most affordable out of the three. A factory tricked out Rubicon is cheaper than a Toyota Land Cruiser by $25K. I think the G Wagon starts at $120K. I think I will be highly satisfied with the Rubicon and the ways to use the $25k to gain more clearance.

The article is right up there with fake news.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Keep in mind that the Wrangler is the most affordable out of the three. A factory tricked out Rubicon is cheaper than a Toyota Land Cruiser by $25K. I think the G Wagon starts at $120K. I think I will be highly satisfied with the Rubicon and the ways to use the $25k to gain more clearance.

The article is right up there with fake news.
This model of Landcruiser is more equal to a 4runner or Prado. Not the American version Landcruiser.

Crawl Control while rock crawling I agree is not a good idea. It's most more suited for rough trail or sand. Some trail climbs cruise control at .5mph would be nice.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Yeah, and then struggle on bigger obstacles. It's all a trade off....but Jeep just did another poor job with break over on the JL.

The advantage of longer wheelbase is a real thing. There's a reason why Toyotas were spanking 2 door Jeeps on the more extreme trails until the 4 doors came out (and still needed a decent lift) and why a custom stretch was a necessity for the 2 doors.

In the video, he could have taken a slightly different line or used just touch of momentum (that he DID use in the Gwagen) in the Jeep and he would have made it up. I'd chalk that one up to driver error more than anything....but I freely admit the breakover and frame height on the Rubicon is pretty abysmal for an allegedly offroad package.
You nailed it. I had the exact same thoughts. Longer wheel base has pros & cons. But the driver seemed to use quite a bit more throttle and momentum with the Yota and the MB than with the Jeep.

Sponsored

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
or used just touch of momentum (that he DID use in the Gwagen) in the Jeep and he would have made it up. I'd chalk that one up to driver error more than anything.
Definitely going faster in the G. And with a lift, with some of the spare money a G costs.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This model of Landcruiser is more equal to a 4runner or Prado. Not the American version Landcruiser.
From the comments on jalopnik, it's similar to a Lexus GX, which costs similarly to a fully loaded Rubicon. And is nowhere near as cool looking as a Jeep. Still better than a Lexus RX or Subaru Forester or whatever though.

miguelroboso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Because you can actually afford to get it dirty and it will do what you needs it to do.
This.

Last year ago I rented a JKUR in the Death Valley. Fell in love with it. Never did any off road in my life (and going to the Playa can hardly be considered such), but for whichever reason the vehicle felt just right. After that I started looking into off road vehicles that make sense (no crossovers) and that I could afford.

Sure, everyone says "Get a 1998 4Runner", or "Get a 1980 Land Cruiser". And then I read of maintenance, blown engines ("Yes but it is fun to rebuild them!") and so on. I will get a new car, I don't want to go crazy for one year rebuilding an old one, and it needs to be my daily driver too (plus I am a nerd and I want carplay...).

At the end, it seems that a JLUR will give me what I want at the price I can afford, with a relative peace of mind. I cannot even look at Land Cruisers or G-Wagen for the price.

I was reading one of the million "But the Wrangler is not reliable" posts around the internet, and Gracy (the guy that did a round trip in Africa with a JK) pointed out that the Wrangler is the last affordable off road vehicle one can buy in the US (Yes, 4Runners, sure, but you need to put another 5K of stuff on them and chop off parts of it to put bigger tires).

As other people point out, the five people that go off road with a G-Wagen (and I'd add "The nine people that go off road with a new Land Cruiser) will agree with the post.

Me, I will get a JLUR in the next couple of months and be careful about the breakover angle. If I can't, I will spend some money to lift it and do what the other two cars do. Better.
Sponsored