Sponsored

Jalopnik says Diariomotor says Rubicon Loses to Prado and G-Class

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
At the end, it seems that a JLUR will give me what I want at the price I can afford, with a relative peace of mind. I cannot even look at Land Cruisers or G-Wagen for the price.

In the US, the "land cruiser prado" is sold as a lexus GX. It starts at 52k MSRP. If you're looking at a JLUR it's actually in a similar cost bracket lol.

https://www.lexus.com/build-your-lexus/#!/series/GX/

I don't think they compare, but if you think the FCA drivetrain is as reliable as that Lexus I've got a bridge to sell you. :D
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Meh...you probably should CHOP OFF parts on the Jeep too. I already did.

xOSUcBe.jpg
LOL! And chop off the rear shock mounts and move 'em up

I'm not sure reliability is an issue with the Wrangler here in the States. The aftermarket is SOOO freakin' huge that even if something like Uconnect proved to be failing the aftermarket would put something out and places would pop up to repair them, kinda like the stupid instrument clusters in GMT800s '03+

Ask a Gwagen owner what they're gonna do if their Uconnect equivalent dies. Off to the dealer, and it won't be cheap. And in 10 years it'll be obsolete and you'll be scavenging eBay for NOS hopefully forgotten on some dusty back shelf...or maybe you can get gray market parts from EU

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
This.

Last year ago I rented a JKUR in the Death Valley. Fell in love with it. Never did any off road in my life (and going to the Playa can hardly be considered such), but for whichever reason the vehicle felt just right. After that I started looking into off road vehicles that make sense (no crossovers) and that I could afford.

Sure, everyone says "Get a 1998 4Runner", or "Get a 1980 Land Cruiser". And then I read of maintenance, blown engines ("Yes but it is fun to rebuild them!") and so on. I will get a new car, I don't want to go crazy for one year rebuilding an old one, and it needs to be my daily driver too (plus I am a nerd and I want carplay...).

At the end, it seems that a JLUR will give me what I want at the price I can afford, with a relative peace of mind. I cannot even look at Land Cruisers or G-Wagen for the price.

I was reading one of the million "But the Wrangler is not reliable" posts around the internet, and Gracy (the guy that did a round trip in Africa with a JK) pointed out that the Wrangler is the last affordable off road vehicle one can buy in the US (Yes, 4Runners, sure, but you need to put another 5K of stuff on them and chop off parts of it to put bigger tires).

As other people point out, the five people that go off road with a G-Wagen (and I'd add "The nine people that go off road with a new Land Cruiser) will agree with the post.

Me, I will get a JLUR in the next couple of months and be careful about the breakover angle. If I can't, I will spend some money to lift it and do what the other two cars do. Better.
They've had years to perfect things engine wise, the aftermarket has an answer to every problem, it's available in standard vs the automatics the other two come with and for the price, you can't beat it.

I haven't gone offroading too much, but the two times I have, never saw a G-wagen (Though I shit ya not, someone took a short bus!), just Wranglers and pickups.

Only G-wagen worth the $$$ are the classic Wolf's

maxresdefault.jpg
totally spartan, available with stick and a (optional turbo) diesel and also as a safari vehicle, though prices may vary depending on where you get them.

In the US, the "land cruiser prado" is sold as a lexus GX. It starts at 52k MSRP. If you're looking at a JLUR it's actually in a similar cost bracket lol.

https://www.lexus.com/build-your-lexus/#!/series/GX/

I don't think they compare, but if you think the FCA drivetrain is as reliable as that Lexus I've got a bridge to sell you. :D
Starting price isn't the same as end result, I built the cheapest one with just Navi and it's $55k.

Now comparing that to a bells and whistles Auto JLUR is one thing, but if you're getting a Sport + or a spartan JLUR with Stick, it's a different story.

Now, reliability is one thing, but if you're gonna go offroading, you're getting a 4Runner TRD instead of a Jewcedes Benz, and you can't remove the top, period, plus it solely comes in automatic. Besides that, I can ask my friend, doubt he's seen a GX offroading before, though this one I'll admit to possibly being wrong

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
From what I’ve heard, everywhere else in the world wranglers are pretty rare and it’s mostly land cruisers and hilux pickups. Not a scientific source though lol.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
It probably will...but it will likely suck.
The broadcast will be in about 4 days .. An important event I wish them success.

2020-land-rover-defender-prototype-1 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
I have seen Land Rovers offroad. Twice. Biggest problem is its usually the 3rd or 4th owner. The 1st and 2nd owner rarely if ever engage 4wd. When 4wd is finally engaged the solenoid pack has become problematic. It will not return to 2wd. I prefer manual transfer cases for this reason.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I went to local offroading spot and stumbled upon a group of asian guys in modified 4runners and lexusesus.

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The broadcast will be in about 4 days .. An important event I wish them success.

2020-land-rover-defender-prototype-1 (1).jpg

I wish them success too. Real competition for Jeep will be nice. It'll make them step up their quality control a bit, and hopefully reel in their pricing.

This will most likely be somewhere between the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler, though.

But the planned Defender 130 will be a direct competitor for the Gladiator, I think.

Bbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport, 2019 JLU Rubicon, 2008 BMW M5
This video comes across as just propaganda for the G-Class. While it tries to paint it as 'more capable' off road than the Wrangler and LC, it's far from compelling, IMO.

Were these handful of challenges picked at random or might they have been chosen specifically because they would exploit the relative weaknesses of the Wrangler (and/or strengths of the G-Class)? Towing seems like an odd choice for an off-road challenge yet it was included while ones that would require extreme articulation, include water fording, deep mud or rock crawling (i.e. relatively common encounters off-road and ones that might favor the capabilities of the Rubicon) weren't - coincidence? Are these challenges supposed to represent all of the obstacles that you'd encounter off-road?

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I wish them success too. Real competition for Jeep will be nice. It'll make them step up their quality control a bit, and hopefully reel in their pricing.

This will most likely be somewhere between the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler, though.

But the planned Defender 130 will be a direct competitor for the Gladiator, I think.
It seems that what you wished and expected had come true :)

From my point of view I have saved Jimny the Suzuki brand
Today Defender saves the Land Rover brandŘŚ The waiting lists will become long for those wishing to purchase.

Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
This video comes across as just propaganda for the G-Class. While it tries to paint it as 'more capable' off road than the Wrangler and LC, it's far from compelling, IMO.

Were these handful of challenges picked at random or might they have been chosen specifically because they would exploit the relative weaknesses of the Wrangler (and/or strengths of the G-Class)? Towing seems like an odd choice for an off-road challenge yet it was included while ones that would require extreme articulation, include water fording, deep mud or rock crawling (i.e. relatively common encounters off-road and ones that might favor the capabilities of the Rubicon) weren't - coincidence? Are these challenges supposed to represent all of the obstacles that you'd encounter off-road?

It's easy, if you're on this path, don't activate sway bar
like.gif

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I carefully reviewed this video
Most likely the man was honest in driving
But he made mistakes when he drove vehicles in different tracks
Precisely I talk about Land Cruiser Prado and G-Class

The pictures show what I meant.

2020-Land-Rover-Defender-Reveal-2019-Frankfurt-Motor-Show-14.jpg

2020-Ford-Bronco-Mule-Spy-Shots-March-2019-Exterior-004.jpg

PicsArt_05-13-12.27.39.jpg

LC150-AT35-br-1.jpg

Regarding the last two pictures, the last shows that they were on almost one track!

k220c-size.jpg

sizing_chart.jpg

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Now, reliability is one thing, but if you're gonna go offroading, you're getting a 4Runner TRD instead of a Jewcedes Benz, and you can't remove the top, period, plus it solely comes in automatic. Besides that, I can ask my friend, doubt he's seen a GX offroading before, though this one I'll admit to possibly being wrong[/QUOTE]

Besides Hitler owning a Mercedes I don’t really see a correlation between Jewish people and Mercedes. Is this some east coast thing because it seems really forced.
Sponsored