Sponsored

Jackstands on front or level ground for oil change 3.6L?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
It's time to do my second oil change. The first time I just scuttled under and reached for the drain plug. I just sort of fit underneath.

This time I am thinking about jacking up the front, placing some stands under it, so I can have better access and spend some time looking at a few other things.

The Jeep is a stock Rubicon, no lift etc. with a 3.6L engine.

Will the 3.6L engine and the JLU oil pan design, will the angle hinder, help, or not matter with regard to draining the oil?

Thank you!
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hi,
It's time to do my second oil change. The first time I just scuttled under and reached for the drain plug. I just sort of fit underneath.

This time I am thinking about jacking up the front, placing some stands under it, so I can have better access and spend some time looking at a few other things.

The Jeep is a stock Rubicon, no lift etc. with a 3.6L engine.

Will the 3.6L engine and the JLU oil pan design, will the angle hinder, help, or not matter with regard to draining the oil?

Thank you!
You can jack up the front a bit, wouldn't go too much of a tilt though. A slight tilt will drain a bit more oil out of the pan, too much and some oil may hang in the very back of the pan.

You could always lift it up, do your inspecting, drain the oil and then lower it back down (with the oil drain pan still in place) let it do any additional draining, re-insert drain plug and then tighten the plug back up (assuming you have enough room to get under there when fully lowered down).

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Why would you need to jack anything up, for an oil change??? Unless you are massively overweight, just slide on your back, and crawl under.
Or, just get taller tires.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Why would you need to jack anything up, for an oil change??? Unless you are massively overweight, just slide on your back, and crawl under.
I was going to say that but don't know that personal scenario :)

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The great thing about trucks and jeeps is that you don't need jack stands. Cars are a pita.

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
I like to get the wheels off the ground so I can rotate things and check ball joints, etc. Ya can easily crawl under the jeep but to do work it is nice to have a little room for leverage and room to maneuver. Also I like my stock tires. I don't want to add to the unsprung weight and appreciate the mileage and road manners with the stock 33s. Also like to do all my service at once, oil change, tire rotation, etc. The drain plug looks to be at a point where lifting the front or back wouldn't make a significant difference for getting all the oil out.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to do your own maintenance, get some (four) SOLID jack stands, like 4 ton's and a couple floor jacks for getting you onto the jackstands.. forget about ramps. https://www.homedepot.com/p/TCE-4-Ton-Jack-Stand-TCE44008/206109247

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200345429_200345429 that's a 21.5 lift but a 24'' lift would be better for a bit more $$ if you plan to go 35's or 37's.

Some good wheel chocks as well. Safety first!

You can put the front/rear or both in the air.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
My drive has a slight incline, but I have not noticed any more oil coming out on the slight incline vs. sitting on flat ground. I typically let it sit overnight and then drain the oil first thing before starting the engine. When the stream trails off to a drip, I reinstall the plug and refill.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I like to get the wheels off the ground so I can rotate things and check ball joints, etc. Ya can easily crawl under the jeep but to do work it is nice to have a little room for leverage and room to maneuver. Also I like my stock tires. I don't want to add to the unsprung weight and appreciate the mileage and road manners with the stock 33s. Also like to do all my service at once, oil change, tire rotation, etc. The drain plug looks to be at a point where lifting the front or back wouldn't make a significant difference for getting all the oil out.
Fumoto Valve would help a lot. I have.one on my truck, and have had them on other vehicles. They are well worth the price.
Sponsored