Jackery Explorer 500 portable generator

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL 2D Manual
Is anyone as or is using the Jackery Explorer 500 portable generator?
What is you opinion of it?
I want something to power lights, charge phones, mini fridge and small appliances while camping for 2+ days.

I found one that is used here in Canada that also comes with a 60W solar panel for 500$ compare to 900$ new.
Thank you for the feedback.

https://www.jackery.com/products/explorer-500w-portable-power-station

https://www.jackery.com/products/solarsaga-60w-solar-panel?variant=28320981254231
Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Was this the company selling these as “generators” for a while?

OP
OP
Boutch76

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was this the company selling these as “generators” for a while?
First time I hear about Jackery so I wouldn't know.
I think as long as its charge with a solar panel during the day and with your vehicle in the evening, it should give enough power for a small fridge.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I really considered the Jackery 500 because reviews seem to speak highly of their products at a competitive price point, but I ultimately chose something else because I couldn't get past the shape - the big handle is inconvenient for my purposes in my space-constrained camping setup in my Willys.

Despite my reservations about their over-proud pricing, I just picked up a Goal Zero 500x with my 20% off at REI. I simply preferred the compact physical construction (nice small rectangular box 11.25" L x 7.5" D x 6" H).

Anyhoo... as I write this, the Goal Zero has been test-running my ARB 50qt fridge in my 72 deg F apartment for ~41 hrs now from DC output and is currently sitting at 31% charge. I would presume the Jackery 500 would provide similar fridge running performance (their storage specs are roughly similar, though I think the Jackery is slightly better) and is much cheaper. Literally, its shape was the only thing that held me back from choosing the Jackery.

Anyhoo... thought I'd give you an idea how long this level of battery thingy might run your fridge - hope this helped a little.

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone as or is using the Jackery Explorer 500 portable generator?
What is you opinion of it?
I want something to power lights, charge phones, mini fridge and small appliances while camping for 2+ days.

I found one that is used here in Canada that also comes with a 60W solar panel for 500$ compare to 900$ new.
Thank you for the feedback.

https://www.jackery.com/products/explorer-500w-portable-power-station

https://www.jackery.com/products/solarsaga-60w-solar-panel?variant=28320981254231
If you are only goi g to run small electronics and a fridge the 240 might be better. The 500 can run TVs and most household appliances like a crockpot or blender. Either way there have been a lot of overlanders that really like their Jackery stuff. I know guys who plug the Jackery into the cigarette outlet in the back and then plug the fridge into the Jackery. The Jackery has pass through charging so while the Jeep is running the fridge pulls from the Jeep and when the Jeep shuts off the Jackery charges the fridge.

Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know guys who plug the Jackery into the cigarette outlet in the back and then plug the fridge into the Jackery. The Jackery has pass through charging so while the Jeep is running the fridge pulls from the Jeep and when the Jeep shuts off the Jackery charges the fridge.
Not a bad plan... just remember that the stock rear 12V plug can be configured to be constant on - without ignition cutoff. (at least on the Unlimiteds - can't recall what I've read about the 2 drs)

That could kill your starter battery if you are not careful. (probably obvious, but these Jeeps have little weirdnesses and not everyone knows them all - I am constantly learning more about this beast as I spend more time in the forums, so forgive me if I am "man-splainin")

BTW,,, my Goal Zero / ARB 50 fridge test is now at 50 hours and I am cutting it off. The GZ says it still has 13% charge. That should be ballpark of what you could expect from the Jackery under that kind of fridge load (which is not constant draw).

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
It’s helpful to pre-chill using house AC power before heading out. That saves a good bit on the battery. I have 2 of the 240 units. There was a big sale last year so I bought a second one. Really nice units. I’ve used mine for some corded power tools where I couldn’t easily reach with extension cords. Beats lugging a generator around.

OP
OP
Boutch76

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a link to the performance I had...long story short, the Jackery ran the Engel for 32 hours with 24% charge remaing. At that rate, it “should” go another 10 hours if I fully deplete the battery. Good enough for a weekend trip!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mr040f-engel-fridge.50798/
Thank you!
I have watched several videos on the Jackery, but I wanted to make sure those things work as advertised.
Good to know that this might suit my need more than a gas generator.

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
I bought the Dometic PLB40 battery and it’s been great. I get around 3 days running my ARB 37 leaving me at around 20% if I don’t plug it into the Jeep to recharge. It’s a 40AH battery where this Jackery model is only 24AH, so it wouldn’t run my setup for a full weekend without recharging it with the Jeep or solar.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bit of update to my Goal Zero 500x choice... it died on my first road trip with it running my fridge. Can't take a charge from the 8V inputs (front and back). Aborted vacation (for this and other reasons) and tried it on the wall plug when I got home. Dead. No charging.

Found out Goal Zero has recognized this issue and is offering free swap outs (supposedly). I am waiting to hear back from them to see if they will honor taking this thing back and sending me a new one. If anyone was thinking about the Goal Zero 500x, be aware and be wary... I'll update this post if they come through for me.
Sponsored