Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finance
Did you like the Mickey Thompsons? Do you like the 5.38s alot better than 4.88?
The Mickey Thompson’s were a good tire overall and I did not really have any complaints, I just prefer the Toyos personally. The nice thing about the Mickey Thompson’s were that they are a pretty light tire, even for a 40, and they have really good sidewall traction.

As far as the gears go, I definitely like the 5.38s better than 4.88s for 40s, especially in Colorado. The 4.88s were not bad on the road and I did still get into 8th gear with them, but off road they did not feel low enough. I think 4.88 would be a good pick for someone on 37s or maybe in a flatter area than Colorado.
Sponsored

RhinoJLU

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
After having the Jeep, now on a 2.5” lift with 37s/beadlocks for about a week, we took it on its maiden voyage to Chinaman Gulch in Buena Vista, Colorado. The only other “mod” we had done up to this point was getting the front windows tinted to match the rear, which is why only the rear windows were rolled down in some of these pictures.

8DD4050E-659D-41E0-9C63-DDC921243CC9.jpeg

3920F46D-F77E-4F62-BD80-DE61C4286B29.jpeg

09A123C2-0370-4869-9065-31A85D142BB9.jpeg

62B59600-48AB-45AE-AE8E-0BD76E336C7E.jpeg

As you’ll see, we did a lot of wheeling with the paper plates.
859829BA-4788-4615-9F59-3E40B1CC2F88.jpeg

My initial thoughts after having never wheeled a 4-door or an automatic, were first, I love the automatic when on inclines and trying to climb up obstacles and hate it when going down obstacles or declines (I was not used to having to ride the brakes in my TJR with a 6-speed manual).
Secondly, the 4-door (especially the JLUR) is a big, wide Jeepprevious off road experience was all in a 2-door which is much more nimble, especially on a trail like Chinaman Gulch. The lines you have to take in the 4-door were quite different than what I was used to in the 2-door, so I was going to need some practice behind the wheel of the JLUR.
Lastly, while I really liked the LCG and ride of the 2.5” lift, I quickly realized and made a mental note that it was not enough, especially given the break-over of a 4-door. Besides that, we also realized we would need to replace the front bumper fairly quickas we were constantly rubbing on it while turning on the trail. We also were going to have to trim the rear inner fenders even more than we had when we initially installed the lift. Overall, while I was impressed with the JLUR on its first trail, it became clear I would have to learn the intricacies of wheeling a big, long Jeep.

On to our next trail, in order to get used to the JLUR, we quickly took it on another trail we had frequented in our TJ, Hackett Gulch.
57681EEF-414D-4ED6-8AC4-D9D386835020.jpeg

78F1891C-78F8-4214-9882-8975E97D0590.jpeg

The Jeep did great on the trail, but it was a fairly easy trail that can be done in a relatively stock 4x4. We then took it to Rainbow Falls to try it out on an area deemed as “Mini Moab” here in Colorado.

The only other mod we had done up to this point was a Magnaflow rock crawler exhaust that ends before the axle, as seen below.
8040571C-EE7A-410E-9790-D9404C69F67B.jpeg

Frees up so much space taking out the clunky, rock magnet muffler!
2A4F2F94-AAEB-4A3D-9D5C-0646816FD173.jpeg

I really love this exhaust system on the 3.6L. It sounds great, not overly loud and obnoxious, and adds the function of increased clearance.

We also took the Jeep out on the China Wall trail to see how it would fair!
F0916060-4503-485B-811A-BF8D7A7809F7.jpeg

AD4F5D39-73A5-423F-AB08-4301D7F078F8.jpeg

Needless to say, the more trails we took the JLUR out on, the more impressed I became. After a somewhat “rocky” start with its maiden voyage on Chinaman Gulch, I began to really love this Jeep on the trails.
Do you have a part # for that magnaflow kit? I can only find the kit that dumps after the axle

OP
OP
jackthejl

jackthejl

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finance

Sponsored

OP
OP
jackthejl

jackthejl

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finance
Did they get your permission to use the photo? That's pretty messed up if they didn't.
Nope lol. I’m guessing they just grabbed it from out Instagram.

CactusDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2017 Porsche 911
Build Thread
Link
I love your build! That's my end goal, and my favorite color!

OP
OP
jackthejl

jackthejl

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finance
Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but when a company did that with some text I wrote about their product on a private forum, cut it to give a different impression, and then credited me, I contacted them and had them retract it.

That just seems unethical not to at least give you credit or at least offer to compensate you in some way.

In my case, I wasn't looking for compensation....but I didn't want my name attached to a misleading statement b/c of the way they edited my original comment.
Yeah I can definitely see that. Maybe I’ll send them a message and see what’s up.

OP
OP
jackthejl

jackthejl

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finance
I love your build! That's my end goal, and my favorite color!
Thank you! Admittedly the Punk’n was not my first choice but my wife’s, however, it is my favorite color now - I love how it pops in pictures.

Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Yeah I can definitely see that. Maybe I’ll send them a message and see what’s up.
Totally agree, if they want to use your pictures then they should be asking and paying.

"Avoiding copyright violations
The other factor in using photos online is whether you’re violating someone’s copyright. This applies to photos taken by another person. Unless an image has a Creative Commons copyright, which is rare, you could face legal action if you share something that was taken by another photographer on social media or your website – this applies to customer photos using your product or service that you did not take yourself." (Insureon Small Business Blog, https://www.insureon.com/blog/can-businesses-use-customer-images-on-social-media)

OP
OP
jackthejl

jackthejl

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finance
Totally agree, if they want to use your pictures then they should be asking and paying.

"Avoiding copyright violations
The other factor in using photos online is whether you’re violating someone’s copyright. This applies to photos taken by another person. Unless an image has a Creative Commons copyright, which is rare, you could face legal action if you share something that was taken by another photographer on social media or your website – this applies to customer photos using your product or service that you did not take yourself." (Insureon Small Business Blog, https://www.insureon.com/blog/can-businesses-use-customer-images-on-social-media)
That’s true, I will reach out to them.

OP
OP
jackthejl

jackthejl

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finance
The weather here in Colorado is supposed to be nice this weekend. Going to try running a harder trail that we haven’t ran since we had 37s on the Jeep! Will report back on how the new setup performs.

Here’s a picture of the last time we ran it (Eagle Rock).
Jeep Wrangler JL Jack the JL, 2018 Punk’n JLUR 6B841781-3D02-4B71-95FA-BB524BFF7ACF

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
@jackthejl Looks great!! I will be going to the EVO Longarm w/ KING coilovers soon from MC midarm kit. I believe once you buy the kit from EVO directly the coilovers are spec to the 4.5" longarm kit correct? Since you bought the coilovers first was that the reason of the harsh ride?

Last edited:

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Recon, 99 Miata, 90 Silverado
That awkward moment when you’re scrolling through Facebook and say, “Hey, that Jeep looks familiar.” :LOL:

Jeep Wrangler JL Jack the JL, 2018 Punk’n JLUR 6B841781-3D02-4B71-95FA-BB524BFF7ACF
Obviously they love your jeep, maybe you could become an ambassador and they'll provide you tire and wheel set ups, in exchange for use of your amazing Jeep!

Side note: I don't think I will ever have a set up like yours but thank you for such a great thread. I completely nerd out on builds like yours, which are so complete and take a systems approach to building Jack into a a true Punk'n King! I am following this thread just because your jeep is freakin rad!

Thanks! Peace ✌
Sponsored