J.T. Brooks Tire Deflators

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Lately I have seen several Instagram folks touting these deflators. Has anyone here used them? I like the idea of the Pro series, as I tend to air down to different pressures depending on what terrain I'm on (15 for trails, 10 for rock/sand) and these look like a simple way to get it done. The knockoff Staun deflators I bought on Amazon are SLOOOOWWWWW and I dont use them. Just wondering if these are any better.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I asked our guide on Saturday's 101 Course at Rausch Creek which deflators he used. They run the JT Brooks - he's had a few sets of them for years and used them literally hundreds (probably thousands) of times because they're airing down groups every weekend at different trails around PA. It didn't seem to take longer than a few minutes for our tires to be done and swapped on to the next vehicle. I'm not sure if it takes less or more time than the ones you have, but they're certainly well-made if they have lasted that long.

OP
OP
Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I went ahead and ordered them.

I havent timed the knockoff Stauns, but I wouldnt be surprised if it took 20 minutes to go from 28-12. The few times I have used them, I got tired of waiting and drove off with them still on the valve stem, just to remove them when they finally get down to the correct pressure several miles later.

Most of the time I use my Smittybilt deflator, which is similar to the ARB. Its fast but I've gotten distracted a few times talking to people and gone a bit too far down with the pressure. Its kind of embarrassing to have to get the compressor out and air up while everyone else is waiting lol.

Now I need to save up for the ARB twin...

OP
OP
Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
They arrived a couple days ago. Build quality on them is excellent. I like the nickel plating because it wont corrode. The knurling is very nice and grippy and the carrying case feels like excellent quality. These are MUCH nicer than the knockoff Stauns I got off Amazon (Real 4x4?) but they did cost 3x as much.

I got to test them out a bit today. Normal street pressure I run is 28psi. The factory setting on them was 15psi. I screwed each onto a tire and let them do their thing. It took about 4 minutes per tire until they stopped. I did not clock my overall time since I got interrupted but obviously its going to add a couple minutes to install and remove them. End pressure was 13-13.5 using my digital gauge. Thats close enough for me.

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have been using the Pro version for years. They're hands-down the best deflators I've ever used, and I've pretty much had them all. They're not the fastest, but they're definitely the most convenient and foolproof. Once dialed in, I can consistently air down to within 0.6-0.8psi across all four corners, every single time, and puff on a cigar or BS with other people on the trail while they do the work.

Sponsored

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
They arrived a couple days ago. Build quality on them is excellent. I like the nickel plating because it wont corrode. The knurling is very nice and grippy and the carrying case feels like excellent quality. These are MUCH nicer than the knockoff Stauns I got off Amazon (Real 4x4?) but they did cost 3x as much.

I got to test them out a bit today. Normal street pressure I run is 28psi. The factory setting on them was 15psi. I screwed each onto a tire and let them do their thing. It took about 4 minutes per tire until they stopped. I did not clock my overall time since I got interrupted but obviously its going to add a couple minutes to install and remove them. End pressure was 13-13.5 using my digital gauge. Thats close enough for me.
When you posted this thread I decided to pull the trigger on these. I have not used them yet but I can definitely agree the quality is excellent!

Buzzbomb9

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Metallic JLU
Anyone post a link to where you picked up the
J.T. Brooks Tire Deflators?

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using these for years as well. They work great!

Got them from Quadratec.

OP
OP
Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon

Sponsored

OP
OP
Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
I'll just throw out there that I've seen way too many broken valve stems on the trail to ever put something larger and more damage-prone on the wheel "permanently". YMMV.
You raise a good point indeed.
Sponsored