I've sprung a leak... found liquid on driveshaft

OP
OP

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
clearly there's a leak. you can see by the transmission drain bolt a little leak but the fluid on the drive shaft came from above. I don't think that much fluid would jump laterally over to the driveshaft and not get all over somewhere else.

IMG_3542.JPG

this is a close up of the drain bolt. there's not much of a leak here i'd think.
IMG_3543.JPG

this one is up a little higher and looks like there's some very minor leaking between the cylinder on the left and the transmission on the right (not quite as dramatic in the picture as in real life)
IMG_3545.jpg

I think the culprit is in this pic - the small brown drop on the small silver tube in the background. it's right above the driveshaft. looks like an oil leak to me....
IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

sorry if these pics are too big. i'm still trying to figure out how stuff works. will see how long it takes for the fluid to accumulate on the silver tube after wiping it off. any other thoughts besides make an appointment? thanks for any help!

View attachment 230762
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
clearly there's a leak. you can see by the transmission drain bolt a little leak but the fluid on the drive shaft came from above. I don't think that much fluid would jump laterally over to the driveshaft and not get all over somewhere else.

sorry if these pics are too big. i'm still trying to figure out how stuff works. will see how long it takes for the fluid to accumulate on the silver tube after wiping it off. any other thoughts besides make an appointment? thanks for any help!
I was under the front part of mine the other day and noticed my driveshaft was similar but not as bad. Nothing being left on the garage floor yet. I haven't tracked it down but I suspect mine has the same issue.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

that actually looks like oil. the black plugs are just rubber grommets i do believe ill have to check mine when it gets back from the dealer. but if thats the case i would have the rear main seal inspected. thats the only way oil will be between the transmission and the engine. the top leak looks to be motor oil as well. but i am not sure what it could be leaking from. ill check my jeep when i see it hopefully today. just a FYI the Cylinder in pic 3 is the starter

OP
OP

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
soooo....
just an update. i kept getting oil spots on some of the aluminum tubes you saw in my pics. not a bad oil leak by any measure but would like it fixed. it's in the shop for the third time and the guy at the service desk has been great. very apologetic and genuinely wants to help. they put a dye in the engine and believe there was a bad PCV valve and "make up air tube". they had to order a part and the jeep should be done later this week i believe. stay tuned and i'll confirm/update everything. they gave me a loaner (compass) so I don't mind too much. definitely miss having a wrangler though.

OP
OP

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
further update...
I've had the jeep back for a week or two and no further drips. looks like the pcv valve and make up air tube thingy were the culprit. if I see any further leaking, i'll update you guys.

OP
OP

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
further update...
I've had the jeep back for a week or two and no further drips. looks like the pcv valve and make up air tube thingy were the culprit. if I see any further leaking, i'll update you guys.
well, that was quick. same leak. this is at least the third, if not fourth time I've had to take it in for the same thing. it's not a big deal as it's just a very small oil leak however this isn't how it's supposed to be. would like it fixed. I have an appointment for it to go in early next week as they didn't have a loaner until then. will update when I hear more.
Sponsored