First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Update on post #83

You may be familiar with my post about my Electronic Throttle Control failure
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...malfunction-towed-jlur.3739/page-3#post-80999

Here's how everything has unfolded:

Picked up my JLUR on Saturday, 2/10 at 6:00PM, drove it 60 miles home, then took it for a cruise. At 65 miles, throttle goes out while driving, and I pull to the side of the road call Jeep roadside assistance. They send a tow truck that doesn't get there for 2.5 hours. It's raining and now 1:30AM. I uber home.

It sits at the dealership closest to my home (not the one I purchased it from) until Monday morning when I get a call from service letting me know they received my Jeep. The next day, they tell me It's the ECU and it will be a week before they even get the part.

I visited the dealership that I purchased it from and they really didn't seem to care. As long as it was getting fixed, they couldn't care less that my brand new Jeep was in the shop for a week. They asked if I needed a rental, that was the extent of their "customer service". They then referred me to Jeep Cares for any type of support.

In the meantime I notified @JeepCares and they created a case for me and said my case manager would reach out to me within 48 hours. Of course, no call.

Finally pick it up on Friday, 2/16 and take it home. There's a scuff on the passenger's seat and my painted tow hook is scratch badly. I call the dealership and they say it's the towing companies fault and they aren't responsible. They tell me to contact the towing company. Remember, it was Jeep Cares that called for the tow so I don't have the company's name. Saturday morning I take it for a spin and check engine light comes on. It did this just before it broke down last time, so I immediately drove it the 3 miles home.I didn't want to chance it breaking down again on the side of the road. I called Jeep Cares and was told to leave it parked until my case manager (which never called before) reaches out to me on Monday. By the end of day Monday, no call.

I call the Jeep Cares number and get to speak with someone who I guess is now my case manager. He offers to get it towed, which I declined, I'll just take my chances driving it given my previous experience. He also offers to find the tow company's info so that I can call them and shake them down for repair. Yay, more time and effort for me. He also informs me that FCA cannot compensate me for my time/trouble in any way. He puts this responsibility on the dealership that told me the exact opposite. He then calls the dealership and schedules an appointment with me there on the line with him.

I take the Jeep in at 8:00am making sure they have plenty of time to diagnose. At 4:00pm I hadn't heard anything, so I call them. They guy responsible for my Jeep is on the other line and they tell him to call me back. He finally calls back at 6:00pm to inform me that they haven't even touched my Jeep because they were too busy! What's the point of the appointment?!

As of right now I have a $55k Jeep that's been drivable 2 hours out of 11 days of ownership. This is the WORST customer service I have ever had with any product I have ever purchased, especially at this price point. Lemon law in TN is 4 attempts to fix, or thirty days in the shop the first year. I'm halfway there and I pray FCA doesn't wait until I have to enforce state law to make it right.

Am I being unreasonable? Honestly, tell me if I am. I understand it's a new model and problems come up, but what has me really upset is that no one wants to take responsibility, and I'm having to put way too much time and effort into a brand new Jeep.

@JeepCares is there anyway to escalate this to management?

Thanks for reading guys!

*Edit
I forget to mention my speakers went out 5 minutes after leaving the dealership for the entire hour long ride home. Service couldnā€™t recreate the issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Take it back to the dealership where you bought it and demand your money back NOW. Get angry. Make a scene. Refuse to back down until they get a meeting with the area FCA rep. Make them put you on the line with the rep to set this up. Be the squeaky wheel!

MAKE them take it back!

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
You are being WAY more patient than I would be for such a new vehicle. Unfortunately this is all too often the case with Jeep. I have had issues with a dealer, customer service and the service department. I did find that when actually JEEP got involved and started sending things to the dealer then stuff got fixed and I assume the dealer looks bad when Jeep actually has to call them.

Good luck and keep us posted. I guess I am lucky I haven't ordered yet so you all can be the guinea pigs, so thanks for that.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
At the minimum I would believe:
1. Give you a loaner car.
2. Reimburse you for the Uber trip.
3. Any missed work, pay for that.
4. Pay any other bills you incurred.
5. Swap out/paint damaged tow hook(s). YOU shouldn't have to deal with the towing company.
6. Increase bumper to bumper warranty if not swapped for another vehicle.
7. Seat scuff, replace if it cannot be rubbed out (ha!)
8. Fill-up gas tank.

This is a brand new vehicle with 65 miles, nothing should be wrong with it and should be damn near same condition as one right off the assembly line.

Sponsored

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Additionally, your Jeep Wave membership with your purchase should also be able to at least get some of this taken care of. Unfortunately the dealership doesnā€™t build them, they donā€™t have a lot of control that way. But, I agree I would be upset in your case. Itā€™s up to you how far you want to take it, lemon law, etc. I wish you good luck!

Jetg

First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' 911 convertible, 18' Macan PP
That sucks the more I surf the board and see the ā€œhiccupsā€ doesnā€™t sit well even knowing the prior year problems. I have since started cross shopping with the raptor and a few others. I just need a daily driver

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
And this is why having a great relationship with your dealer matters......totally sucks what youā€™ve gone through OP, I can for certain say that if it was happening to me the dealer would be raising hell to make it right, fighting for you, not inconveniencing you more..... keep us posted

OP
OP
Stuweeks

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
And this is why having a great relationship with your dealer matters......totally sucks what youā€™ve gone through OP, I can for certain say that if it was happening to me the dealer would be raising hell to make it right, fighting for you, not inconveniencing you more..... keep us posted
What pisses me off is that this is my 2nd NEW Wrangler Iā€™ve purchased from them in 16 months!

Sponsored

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
Totally shatty experience. I hope they make it right. Complain in social media as much as possible .Make your voice heard!!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You may be familiar with my post about my Electronic Throttle Control failure
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...malfunction-towed-jlur.3739/page-3#post-80999

Here's how everything has unfolded:

Picked up my JLUR on Saturday, 2/10 at 6:00PM, drove it 60 miles home, then took it for a cruise. At 65 miles, throttle goes out while driving, and I pull to the side of the road call Jeep roadside assistance. They send a tow truck that doesn't get there for 2.5 hours. It's raining and now 1:30AM. I uber home.

It sits at the dealership closest to my home (not the one I purchased it from) until Monday morning when I get a call from service letting me know they received my Jeep. The next day, they tell me It's the ECU and it will be a week before they even get the part.

I visited the dealership that I purchased it from and they really didn't seem to care. As long as it was getting fixed, they couldn't care less that my brand new Jeep was in the shop for a week. They asked if I needed a rental, that was the extent of their "customer service". They then referred me to Jeep Cares for any type of support.

In the meantime I notified @JeepCares and they created a case for me and said my case manager would reach out to me within 48 hours. Of course, no call.

Finally pick it up on Friday, 2/16 and take it home. There's a scuff on the passenger's seat and my painted tow hook is scratch badly. I call the dealership and they say it's the towing companies fault and they aren't responsible. They tell me to contact the towing company. Remember, it was Jeep Cares that called for the tow so I don't have the company's name. Saturday morning I take it for a spin and check engine light comes on. It did this just before it broke down last time, so I immediately drove it the 3 miles home.I didn't want to chance it breaking down again on the side of the road. I called Jeep Cares and was told to leave it parked until my case manager (which never called before) reaches out to me on Monday. By the end of day Monday, no call.

I call the Jeep Cares number and get to speak with someone who I guess is now my case manager. He offers to get it towed, which I declined, I'll just take my chances driving it given my previous experience. He also offers to find the tow company's info so that I can call them and shake them down for repair. Yay, more time and effort for me. He also informs me that FCA cannot compensate me for my time/trouble in any way. He puts this responsibility on the dealership that told me the exact opposite. He then calls the dealership and schedules an appointment with me there on the line with him.

I take the Jeep in at 8:00am making sure they have plenty of time to diagnose. At 4:00pm I hadn't heard anything, so I call them. They guy responsible for my Jeep is on the other line and they tell him to call me back. He finally calls back at 6:00pm to inform me that they haven't even touched my Jeep because they were too busy! What's the point of the appointment?!

As of right now I have a $55k Jeep that's been drivable 2 hours out of 11 days of ownership. This is the WORST customer service I have ever had with any product I have ever purchased, especially at this price point. Lemon law in TN is 4 attempts to fix, or thirty days in the shop the first year. I'm halfway there and I pray FCA doesn't wait until I have to enforce state law to make it right.

Am I being unreasonable? Honestly, tell me if I am. I understand it's a new model and problems come up, but what has me really upset is that no one wants to take responsibility, and I'm having to put way too much time and effort into a brand new Jeep.

@JeepCares is there anyway to escalate this to management?

Thanks for reading guys!
I think you're being a little unreasonable. Not with the service you expect, that seems pretty dismal from all aspects. Parts are not gonna be on the shelf for a vehicle that is just rolling off the assembly line. Repairs are going to take a while until dealerships are able to get parts stocked. Hopefully this is just a fluke and the good times start rolling.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I had a very similar experience with my 2017 Ram I just got out of to get into this JLU. My dealership sucked. I pray I don't have issues with this one but I also swotched dealers.

LSUMaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I think you're being a little unreasonable. Not with the service you expect, that seems pretty dismal from all aspects. Parts are not gonna be on the shelf for a vehicle that is just rolling off the assembly line. Repairs are going to take a while until dealerships are able to get parts stocked. Hopefully this is just a fluke and the good times start rolling.
Actually in situations where parts are not available, a company that cares about customer satisfaction would give you a new one. Itā€™s not your fault that they do not have parts. You buy a car and pay 55k, you expect it to work. They better deliver.
Sponsored