Sponsored

I've gotten so many great tips in this forum like this Faraday Bag for Key Fob

Jeffrey67

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 1968 Corvette 427, 1967 Corvette 327, 2 Harleys.
Occupation
Dentist

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This thing works like magic and the design is perfect. Looks like it came with the Jeep. Extra key is now hidden under the hood, ready to save my forgetful ass, in case of emergency. (Don't tell anyone)

Another awesome tip was the red tail light repair film over the foot well bulbs. I feel like I'm in a submarine. This forum is fantastic. Thanks guys.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MDF5TX9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How much is a spare key/fob for the JL? The JK is around $300, unless you have two keys, then you can find one on Ebay for at or under 20 bucks. Is the JL similar for a replacement? If not an exhorbitant cost, I will add a 3rd key/fob. I didn't do this when my JK was new. My wife then lost one of the keys. After the pain of $300, I bought 3 or 4 spares off Ebay and programmed them. I don't want to make the same mistake with the JL. I do have Tiles on each of them, too. Cheap insurance.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This thing works like magic and the design is perfect. Looks like it came with the Jeep. Extra key is now hidden under the hood, ready to save my forgetful ass, in case of emergency. (Don't tell anyone)

Another awesome tip was the red tail light repair film over the foot well bulbs. I feel like I'm in a submarine. This forum is fantastic. Thanks guys.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MDF5TX9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yup, I too have gotten many good "tips" on this forum.. 8-)

Faraday Bags..... Just be gentle with them. Try not to rough them up so to speak....don't fold them, step on them, twist them, etc.. Do this, and there is a chance that the Faraday Bag will stop doing the job it was intended to do. Apparently, folding and stuff can damage the barrier/lining in them.

I buy this brand. The bag is noted to be stout, but also the company is very good about exchanging problematic units... even if you have had the unit quite awhile. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1C21O2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, I too have gotten many good "tips" on this forum.. 8-)

Faraday Bags..... Just be gentle with them. Try not to rough them up so to speak....don't fold them, step on them, twist them, etc.. Do this, and there is a chance that the Faraday Bag will stop doing the job it was intended to do. Apparently, folding and stuff can damage the barrier/lining in them.

I buy this brand. The bag is noted to be stout, but also the company is very good about exchanging problematic units... even if you have had the unit quite awhile. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1C21O2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just what I need, something that is high maintenance that doesn't add much value....

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I don''t understand hiding a key for a JL. There is a Uconnect if you get locked out.

Sponsored

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
How much is a spare key/fob for the JL? The JK is around $300, unless you have two keys, then you can find one on Ebay for at or under 20 bucks. Is the JL similar for a replacement? If not an exhorbitant cost, I will add a 3rd key/fob. I didn't do this when my JK was new. My wife then lost one of the keys. After the pain of $300, I bought 3 or 4 spares off Ebay and programmed them. I don't want to make the same mistake with the JL. I do have Tiles on each of them, too. Cheap insurance.
Tiles? Explain Lucy.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Also, you could get a black and have it keyed, remove the key part, put in wallet or magnet under bumper, keep the fob in the glove box without programming or get one that programmable, use the fob itself, (not your finger) to push start the "push start" button.

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler 2dr
I don''t understand hiding a key for a JL. There is a Uconnect if you get locked out.
I know the OP has a rubicon but on us sport guys it’s easy to lock yourself out with manual locks. You have to take the key out of your pocket to unlock the door and if you don’t put it back in your pocket before you get in the Jeep you are holding it in your hand and with push button start you either put it in the center dash pocket or have to contort yourself to get it in your pocket again. I locked myself out couple weeks ago and this would have worked great.
I bought two high security key blanks with no remote so they are much smaller.
The cost of the locksmith would have paid for 4 of these lol, he broke into the Jeep in like 15 seconds.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
You only get the Uconnect unlock for a year, after that it is a paid subscription, I think it's part of the Guardian service, hopefully if you let it lapsed it only take a few minutes to activate later if you need to unlock the Wrangler, that said I have proximity, which makes it difficult to lock the keys in the vehicle, providing everything is in good working order.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You only get the Uconnect unlock for a year, after that it is a paid subscription, I think it's part of the Guardian service, hopefully if you let it lapsed it only take a few minutes to activate later if you need to unlock the Wrangler, that said I have proximity, which makes it difficult to lock the keys in the vehicle, providing everything is in good working order.
It is still a wrangler. They are like the easiest vehicle to open even if they are locked.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Do you really carry the spare fob under the hood hidden somewhere?

HelmsJeep

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2DR/Softop/Manual
I don’t worry about being locked out, the soft top makes it easy to get back in if I lock my key inside. I am down to one fob now as the other is MIA somewhere in my house.

This one kinda matches mine. I have a manual w/manual locks so I don’t need buttons, but could not find one without them.

Replacement fob

So can any locksmith program and rekey one of the aftermarket fobs?

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Is it just me? I tried locking my FOB in the Jeep the other day. I hit the lock button on the door, closed the door and about 3 seconds later 3 short honks and the Jeep unlocks itself. So have they made it impossible to lock your keys in your Jeep?
Sponsored