I've got a real challenge for you with regard to shovel & axe storage

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
daughter FINALLY get her '21 jl & is now trying to find a place to store the axe & shovel that she used to carry in her cherokee.

HER requirements are:
no outside storage at all
ideally, she'd like to have them mounted on the tailgate, but wonders if the plastic tailgate cover is sturdy enough
if necessary, might be able to persuade her into some kind of maunt for the roll bars, but THAT is going to have to be out of the way of any passengers.

suggestions?
Sponsored

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
There are mounting points in the tailgate underneath the plastic, have a look at the tailgate tables and you can see how they mount, plenty stong

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Those are pure JUNK, gf bought me one of those........ pretty much useless... it looks very cool
I'm just using that as an example, but what was wrong with the one you got? The e-tools we had in the military were even less capable, but we still did everything with them from chopping to digging.

OP
OP
MyDaughters20JL

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
yeah, I really like that one, but there's no love for the 2 door: been on the waiting list for some time now

hard top
we have a solution but I missed it was a 2 door! Unfortunately our product only works with the 4dr

brett

Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just using that as an example, but what was wrong with the one you got? The e-tools we had in the military were even less capable, but we still did everything with them from chopping to digging.
The e tool we used in the Army didn't break. The tool you have pictured there is the same one i have or I think I have it looks identical. The part where you insert the screwdriver bit into is made of plastic, any amount of force you use to twist a screw out it will strip the plastic housing. The sharpened edges are mainly for looks and not functionality, when I used the edge to split wood (pine, softest wood) it dulled and the handle broke where it screws into the next part. Also if you use it to dig in sand you will be fine but if you use it at camp to dig in the dirt, the handle will fail again, at least it did with me when trying to make a privy. Maybe it is built differently now, mine is a year old? Maybe improvements were made? I am just explaining what happened when I used the equipment.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
There are mounting points under the tailgate plastic. Don't go to the plastic because it's just held in with clips. I had some bags on mine for recovery gear and gloves and they started to pull the plastic off. Went with a Tailgate table from Springtail Solutions that you can strap Molle bags on and I have had zero issues since. I even strapped my 4 way lug wrench on there with a bungee and a pool noodle to avoid rattling. That would be my best recommendations. UNless she wants to slide them under the rear passenger seat. I did that with my HiLift Jack and it fits, so I don't see why a shovel/ axe wouldn't fit.

Everyone loves the mounts that mount the heavy, steel things to the overhead roll bar; Call me paranoid, but I don't trust them. Even if the object never comes loose and falls, it could still be a head impact hazard in the event of a rollover or collision.

Hope this helps.