Sponsored

It's not a JL, but I'm thinking a few on here may have started with a Tonka Jeep.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
No. I've given the matter a lot of thought through the years. I'm sticking with Gen X, Greg. I've bolded the relevant text where you essentially concede a split down the middle.

X has all of the numbers on our side; Y, just some of them. That's the controlling distinction here.

:beer:
Well, I will give you that.

I kind of wish they just broke us all in half that way I didn't have to explain this stuff to people. Lump us early Y's in with the Gen X'ers, and lump the latter half in with Gen z. That's pretty much how it is anyways. 🤷‍♂️

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Well, I will give you that.

I kind of wish they just broke us all in half that way I didn't have to explain this stuff to people. Lump us early Y's in with the Gen X'ers, and lump the latter half in with Gen z. That's pretty much how it is anyways. 🤷‍♂️
I agree. Hell I remember being called Gen X for a while growing up, then Gen Y, and then they switched it to millenial.

I grew up outside in the woods with rusty metal tonka trucks and a bbgun (later a .22) so this definitely didn't end with gen X. Then again I'm also a country kid who had to work in the barn starting age 3. My kids are being raised the same way, so they'll definitely be weird for Gen alpha.

Only computer (no internet) I had was a DOS machine until I think 2001?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
All of this generational grouping is a bunch of bullshit as far as I'm concerned. You have Baby Boom as 45-63 or 64. X from 64 or 65 to just 1980? Why are some gens 19-20 years and others just 16-17?

And then people who want to stand in a group and say "We're this generation and you're that generation" Sounds more like marketing BS for Madison Ave.

Yep, there are difference in how kids grew up as time went on, but I see no need to put a label on it. I'm supposedly lumped into Gen X, but we didn't even have cable TV come to town until I was halfway through high school.

Bobby Hank

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Wrangler Rubicon X 2D
Occupation
Educator
I think early millenials can be thrown in there too. We didn't even get internet in our house until I was 13 in '98. I didn't get a cell phone until Junior year of high school and it was a Nokia 5110
Nah, way to much exposure to video games and TV. We used to play everything outside with sticks. A lot of time was spent finding and protecting a really good multi-use stick. Most people's dogs roamed free. Growing up in the 60's and 70's was different.

Sponsored

CreepyCrepe

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge Green JLUWS, 20 Honda Pilot Elite
Clubs

Nah, way to much exposure to video games and TV. We used to play everything outside with sticks. A lot of time was spent finding and protecting a really good multi-use stick. Most people's dogs roamed free. Growing up in the 60's and 70's was different.
Yeah, we were told to go outside and not come back until lunch and then go back outside and not come back until dinner. Just endless games of tag or whatever else we came up with. One game was "first bounce or in the air". The basic premise was kick the crap out of a ball towards your friends and family. Whoever caught it on the first bounce or in the air got to do the kicking next time. We had fireworks wars in the woods. This is the rural south though.

Bobby Hank

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Educator
We played 500, Smear the Qu33r, and 2 on 2 baseball with a tennis ball with beans for outs counting. Barefoot tackle football. We tossed up socks full of dirt at night near street lights and tried to hit the bats that would chase them back down with tennis rackets.
Opelika, Alabama

Last edited:

CreepyCrepe

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge Green JLUWS, 20 Honda Pilot Elite
Clubs

We played 500, Smear the Qu33r, and 2 on 2 baseball with a tennis ball with beans for outs counting. Barefoot tackle football. We tossed up socks full of dirt at night near street lights and tried to hit the bats that would chase them back down with tennis rackets.
Opelika, Alabama
Savages.

Bobby Hank

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Educator
Exactly. At age 7 or 8 we camped out with no shelter in the woods a mile from the house, and brought a pan, eggs and bacon to make breakfast over open flame the next morning.
There weren't no casualties.
Sponsored