Sponsored

It's happening! JL Wrangler EcoDiesel debuts September 26!

jeepdogjl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
FCA should get the rights to use the 5.0 Cummins since Nissan is no longer going to use it. 310 hp and 555ft lb torque and the best part is it's a Cummins not a junk Italian engine.
You might want to do some research on the 5.0 Cummins. It’s not a good motor. Poor mileage, horrible cold starts, no towing power for 555lb/ft, etc.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Meh. When I think "debuts" I'm thinking is *available* for ordering. I think we've all seen enough stuff, FCA and otherwise, on display at shows that you can't order (cough, AEV, cough).

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
FCA should get the rights to use the 5.0 Cummins since Nissan is no longer going to use it. 310 hp and 555ft lb torque and the best part is it's a Cummins not a junk Italian engine.
80% new gen3 3.0 engine that has never seen a single mile of customer use and you’ve already got it pegged as junk. You should leverage that crystal ball for secondary income to pay for a 5.0 swap.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Meh. When I think "debuts" I'm thinking is *available* for ordering. I think we've all seen enough stuff, FCA and otherwise, on display at shows that you can't order (cough, AEV, cough).
You can bet your last penny the 3.0 order banks will open on a far shorter timeframe from 9/26 compared to AEV’s “you won’t even be able to buy this stuff by SEMA a year from now” approach.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how long until @TommyTFL has one for testing.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
No kidding. Unveiled Sept 26 2019. Finally available for order....uh check back with us on that one. Lets just assume several more quarters out from anything we have said, Then each time we give a time frame, just add that same number of quarters until it finally appears. But uh yeah, you might get a diesel before the JM platform. No promises though. But yep definitely Q4 2019.

Anyone wanna bet they play mum on MPG just like they have done on the Ram 1500 for the past 3+ months?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No kidding. Unveiled Sept 26 2019. Finally available for order....uh check back with us on that one. Lets just assume several more quarters out from anything we have said, Then each time we give a time frame, just add that same number of quarters until it finally appears. But uh yeah, you might get a diesel before the JM platform. No promises though. But yep definitely Q4 2019.

Anyone wanna bet they play mum on MPG just like they have done on the Ram 1500 for the past 3+ months?
Standard 3.73 on 3.0 JLUR...would be interesting to know if the gearing of the ZF 8AT is different. My guess is they have a taller 8th to maximize mpgs along with the 3.73.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
2020 EcoDiesel Wrangler JLU Specs:
  • 3.0L turbo diesel
  • 442 lb-ft torque
  • 260 hp (per announcement)
  • New 8 speed automatic transmission (per announcement)
  • 3.73 axle ratio (4.10 for Rubicon diesel)
  • Dana D44 axles front and rear
  • 18 gallon fuel tank
  • No towing numbers announced yet
  • EPA MPG numbers not finalized yet, but will be most fuel efficient and longest range Wrangler ever
  • Available on 4-Door Sport, Sahara and Rubicon models (per announcement)
  • Pricing to be announced later after official fuel economy figures
  • Arrives at dealerships by end of the year

Last edited by a moderator:

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was hoping for a little more clarity as to when we can start ordering the Diesel from the Video but seems like we are getting closer. From the video it did seem like he wanted to say the towing would be more in the diesel I wonder if they will up the max towing on 3.0l

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will not tow more. Zero chance. It weighs more and the JLU’s tow rating is not limited by pulling capacity, but rather chassis stabilization and braking, neither of which will be different. Looking forward to turning the DEF into an aux fuel tank, especially considering they’ve dropped fuel capacity by 3.5 gallons.

ETA: Looks like DEF is driver-side from the square muffler on the passenger side behind the axle, with a bar apparently placed beneath both for skid protection.

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Wait. He said 18 gallon fuel tank. NFW. He also hinted toward increased towing capacity. NFW. Towing is limited in the JLU due to suspension, and the JT had to open up the grill for better cooling. (Still not enough for the diesel due to the intercooler).

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Will not tow more. Zero chance. It weighs more and the JLU’s tow rating is not limited by pulling capacity, but rather chassis stabilization and braking, neither of which will be different. What previously looked like a single DEF tank behind the rear axle actually looks like two different tanks in this video, with a protection bar under both...or maybe a single tank with a support bracket down the middle? Either way, looking forward to turning it into an aux fuel tank, especially considering they’ve dropped fuel capacity by 3.5 gallons.
"Allegedly" dropped fuel capacity. Brandon the brand manager undoubtedly knows more about TPS reports than true technical details of the JL (& the JT). I really really doubt they would reduce fuel capacity. Every test mule we've seen so far has shown the DEF tank in front of the rear axle.
Sponsored