It's a Jeep thing - timing chain failure on 2020 JLU, 4600km

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
There is no way they would elect to do a rebuild of that motor, it would cost more in labor hours than it would for a mexican factory to send a new 3.6. This is an incredibly uncommon occurrence, I would love to know if the chain actually broke (which, statistically, never happens) or if a chain tensioner gave out and it jumped time.
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Yikes, I hope this isn't a common problem with build quality of these?
They’ve made over 10 million of the pentastar engine and you are not going to achieve perfection.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What’s the build date? No one has been applying themselves since March. These will be known as the Covid Jeeps.
That’s an interesting prophecy! So out of all of the FCA workers out there “no one” has applied themselves since March? My brother who has been with Chrysler for 35 years may disagree with your absolutist observation.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
needing an engine is uncommon, but I was on my third with a Nissan. Soured me on the brand and I’ll never go back. Hopefully this is a fluke and they didn’t go with some shoddy parts manufacturer to cut costs.
Poor Nissan doesn't have a whole lot going for them.

Sponsored

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
There is no way they would elect to do a rebuild of that motor, it would cost more in labor hours than it would for a mexican factory to send a new 3.6. This is an incredibly uncommon occurrence, I would love to know if the chain actually broke (which, statistically, never happens) or if a chain tensioner gave out and it jumped time.
This. FCA replaces entire axles before they let a tech replace noisy gears (or hell, even a faulty sensor, apparently); I hardly think they’re going to pay the dealership to rebuild an engine.

Plus they may want the failed engine for analysis.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
This. FCA replaces entire axles before they let a tech replace noisy gears (or hell, even a faulty sensor, apparently); I hardly think they’re going to pay the dealership to rebuild an engine.

Plus they may want the failed engine for analysis.
I'd rather them rebuild an engine than a rear end.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
One guy doesn’t build a Jeep. Remember when we couldn’t buy toilet paper and food was in short supply? Vehicle assembly takes a back seat when you’re worried about family.
Especially when they shut down. there’s still a lot of good people that take pride in their work on the assembly line. There were problems before COVID and there will be problems after COVID.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
This.

Shit happens. Freak failure early in the life of the motor where you'd expect it. Nothing to worry about as long as they give OP a new motor.

OP
OP

Dono

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
This.

Shit happens. Freak failure early in the life of the motor where you'd expect it. Nothing to worry about as long as they give OP a new motor.
thats the part I’m not confident on

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Not to be too negative...but generally when the timing chain/belt lets go, the valves in the head are done for...(best case scenario)

Valves bending often result in piston damage, perhaps scored cylinder walls...

I would push to know exactly what happened internally...and also push for a full motor swap!

Too young of a vehicle to deal with this kind of failure.

"two weeks" seems almost impossible.
my bet is two weeks is to ship a new motor from manufacture using ground shipping. they should swap it completely as your correct typically you see major valve damage

OP
OP

Dono

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
So from the service advisor, it looks like it's passing tests and holding pressure - there seems to be no other damage, but the chain was straight up snapped.

They won't be doing a rebuild or an engine replacement, apparently chain replacement and other stuff and it should be fine? So maybe got lucky?

I did try and ask if we're going to be in for return visits and degraded performance but the advisor seemed to think no.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
So from the service advisor, it looks like it's passing tests and holding pressure - there seems to be no other damage, but the chain was straight up snapped.

They won't be doing a rebuild or an engine replacement, apparently chain replacement and other stuff and it should be fine? So maybe got lucky?

I did try and ask if we're going to be in for return visits and degraded performance but the advisor seemed to think no.
Maybe push for a (free) extended warranty on the engine?

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0t, 22 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 06 Audi A3

They have to take the head off... at the very least! Doing a Compression test seems like a cop out...

you need verifiable evidence that the valves didn’t contact the pistons.

if they don’t take the head off and you leave with the Jeep they are off the hook! I would start pushing and contact @JeepCares

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon

Kick up a stink and insist on an extended warranty on their dime , ask to talk to their zone rep.
Sponsored