Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
hijack alert!

Rig is not a term exclusive for a semi, (tractor trailer, lorry, et al). Rig was commonly used before the invent of the automobile for any equipment setup; i.e., sails, industrial equipment, horse and carriage, you name & it it could be called a rig.
just my 2 cents.
Rig to me has always indicated something large, back many years ago when working offshore we ran a crane and called that a rig and then I tag teamed an 18 wheeler with my wife Uncle one summer and we called his 18 wheeler a rig but to me a Wrangler is not one.

I once met a close friend for lunch once and we were meeting up in separate vehicles and she asked what I was driving and I told her a Jeep so when I got there she called and asked where I was and I told her I was in a white Jeep and at the time it was a Jeep Compass and once she saw it she politely said I thought you were driving a Jeep and I said I am see… and she said THATS NOT A REAL JEEP somto me a Jeep Wrangler is a SUV, Offroad vehicle or commonly just a Jeep but not a rig but as you pointed out we all use terms we are familiar with :like:

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Even so, I've referred to an 18-wheeler as a car before. It's sort of a generic term for a thing with an engine that rolls on wheels, and is capable of travel on paved roads.
Well, that makes things easier. 18-wheelers, automobiles, pickup trucks, jeeps, SUVs, motorcycles, farm tractors, etc., they're all cars. I like it! :like:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
4door = Station wagon
Angry grills = mall crawler
2door = Jeep
Sahara = car

Just kidding. A Jeep is also a car unless you use it exclusively for offroading. Nobody casually drives a semi to a restaurant or commutes with it. We drive our jeeps around town. See as a hybrid, it is a car but also a jeep.

I call mine a Jeep but I really dont care when others call it a car.

Sponsored

mark090852

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
And, get off my lawn! :)

There's just something about the use of "car" in reference to a Jeep that is wrong.

If I can convert one person to use "Jeep" instead of "car", then my work is done. :)
And it is not a truck either, unless it is a Gladiator.

Rasselas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S
Legally, the Jeep Wrangler is a truck, and trucks, legally, are not cars. At least that's the case in California. I have to admit, though, that sometimes (not often) I deliberately choose to refer to my Jeep as a car, and here's why:

Consider someone who drives an upscale sedan. He forgets where he parked it at the shopping center and says to a nearby stranger, "I can't remember where I parked my car." Nothing unusual about that, right?

But what if he says, "I can't remember where I parked by Lexus"? The stranger likely would think that sounds pretentious, as though the fellow were trying to show off. ("Sheesh! Why doesn't he just say he can't find his car?")

Sometimes I find myself in a similar position regarding my Jeep. Around the house I always call it a Jeep, not a car. Ditto when I'm around acquaintances or out doing Jeepy things. But sometimes I find myself in a situation where the specific make of my ride isn't germane.

In those cases I could refer to the Jeep as my "vehicle," but that's three syllables instead of one and can sound a bit stilted, depending on the circumstances. If I don't want to emphasize that I drive a Jeep ("and you don't, loser!"), and if I want to sound casual, I might just refer to the Jeep as a car and be done with it: "I parked my car over there."

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Jeep XJ001. AMC's concept muscle car built on the frame of a CJ-5. This was the only one ever built and it was destroyed in a fire on it's way to a car show.
Jeep Wrangler JL It's a Jeep, not a "car". 1620752350507
♫♫ Hey Hey, we're the Monkees! ♫ ♪

Yeah... Thank God for fire.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
...But what if he says, "I can't remember where I parked my Lexus"? The stranger likely would think that sounds pretentious, as though the fellow were trying to show off...
I see your point, and it's a good one. That's why I refer to the Jeep as "the unit" outside of the Jeepy context. By referring to the Jeep as "the unit" I have not denigrated the Jeep by calling it a "car", and most people have seen enough cop shows (and/or know that I was once a cop) to know what I'm talking about.

On the other hand...

... I don't want to emphasize that I drive a Jeep ("and you don't, loser!")...
There are times where that is entirely appropriate. Like when you know the other guy drives a Lexus.

omg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I see your point, and it's a good one. That's why I refer to the Jeep as "the unit" outside of the Jeepy context. By referring to the Jeep as "the unit" I have not denigrated the Jeep by calling it a "car", and most people have seen enough cop shows (and/or know that I was once a cop) to know what I'm talking about.

On the other hand...

There are times where that is entirely appropriate. Like when you know the other guy drives a Lexus.
never heard someone calling their jeep as 'the unit' :LOL:

Sponsored