Sponsored

It has been confirmed I have a rear main seal leak! Unreal!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The rear main seal may be the same as the JK engine but lots of internal parts are much different, its the same engine but different.
You are correct. It’s an updated 3.6L with EGR and VVL. Although this updated engine is new to Wrangler, it has been used in other FCA vehicles since 2016. Just seems odd the part can’t be found unless the rear seal is truly unique for the JL.

If 68223854AA is the correct part #, it’s a universal item for all 3.6 and 3.2 Pentastar engines.
Sponsored

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
The rear main seal may be the same as the JK engine but lots of internal parts are much different, its the same engine but different.
I’m told the rear mani is the same at their grand Cherokee and there is a new part number for this part

jassem99

First Name
Basil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Rear main seal on 2018 Rubicon 3.6 needs replacement at 13,000km. Dealer out of stock on the part. One more data point for future reference.

AK0311

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Me: 17 Renegade, Wife: 12 Journey, Kids: 09 Avenger Want: JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I’m told the rear mani is the same at their grand Cherokee and there is a new part number for this part
James,

Was in my local dealer last week. Ended up buying a Renegade Trailhawk as the price was right and my truck had to go. The sales guy had the only competent service writer come say hello (the other guy set me off three weeks ago with the wife’s car). I asked him about the rear main seal on the 3.6. He said it’s the same part as my wife’s 12 Journey’s 3.6. Hope they get it fixed for you soon.

On a side note, my kids 95 Dodge pickup is at NAPA with a blown water pump. Maybe try your local NAPA repair center?

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Hey folks,

Just received word today from the dealership , my JLUR with 8k miles has a rear main seal leak!
I’m wondering if I’m the first or are there others who this has happen to as well?
The dealership said they may get the parts in a week or two, no one seems to have the parts.
The dealership said they are going to release the Jeep back to me until they get the parts, it is a dam good thing this is not my daily driver. Can you imagine the amount of oil that would have leaked all over the undercarriage of the Jeep if I was driving this everyday for two weeks?
Look at the photo of the puddle of oil, I cleaned that up and drove the Jeep back into the garage, came out the next morning to find another puddle under it.

We have the same issue with ours. I noticed it when I changed oil at about 4000 miles. Haven’t had time to get it into the dealership since both of our vehicles got hit by hail in July. Had to wait a few months to get the wife’s Honda Pilot in the shop, and we just got it back a few weeks ago. It spent almost 2 months in the shop. Had the Jeep in for repair, but they were only able to do the dentless repairs since the hood is on backorder and won’t be in till sometime in late December. After it’s dont it’ll go into the dealership for the leak and electric running boards.
We have the same issue with ours. I noticed it when I changed oil at about 4000 miles back in early September. Haven’t had time to get it into the dealership since both of our vehicles got hit by hail in July. Had to wait a few months to get the wife’s Honda Pilot in the shop, and we just got it back about a month ago. It spent almost 2 months in the shop. Got the Jeep in for repair, but they were only able to do the dentless repairs since the hood is on backorder and won’t be in till sometime in late December. After it’s done getting the hood and passengers doors fixed, it’ll go into the dealership for the leak and electric running boards. Hopefully by then the seal will be something that’s readily available!

Sponsored

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
We have the same issue with ours. I noticed it when I changed oil at about 4000 miles back in early September. Haven’t had time to get it into the dealership since both of our vehicles got hit by hail in July. Had to wait a few months to get the wife’s Honda Pilot in the shop, and we just got it back about a month ago. It spent almost 2 months in the shop. Got the Jeep in for repair, but they were only able to do the dentless repairs since the hood is on backorder and won’t be in till sometime in late December. After it’s done getting the hood and passengers doors fixed, it’ll go into the dealership for the leak and electric running boards. Hopefully by then the seal will be something that’s readily available!
Darn!
When I checked on the 13th the part has been back ordered, their computer said 18 on order at that time. They said maybe the 31st, we will see
The leak has slowed down.
My radio has been acting up a lot lately, I’m thinking either a software problem or they need to replace it

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Darn!
When I checked on the 13th the part has been back ordered, their computer said 18 on order at that time. They said maybe the 31st, we will see
The leak has slowed down.
My radio has been acting up a lot lately, I’m thinking either a software problem or they need to replace it
Hopefully they will be able to get you fixed up soon! Mine isn’t leaking that bad, and since we live out in the middle of nowhere on 5 plus miles of dirt roads, with a dirt driveway it’s no big deal. That’s as long as it doesn’t get worst. I found out the other day that my hood probably won’t be in till sometime in mid February. The dealership still has things to put on my Jeep from the day we purchased it in June, but with all the hail damage we can’t get it done until it’s fixed. Would really be nice to get the electric runnings boards installed. My wife and I are in our mid 60’s, and with the lift and 35” tires she has a hard time getting in and out of the Jeep.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Hey folks,

Just received word today from the dealership , my JLUR with 8k miles has a rear main seal leak!
I’m wondering if I’m the first or are there others who this has happen to as well?
The dealership said they may get the parts in a week or two, no one seems to have the parts.
The dealership said they are going to release the Jeep back to me until they get the parts, it is a dam good thing this is not my daily driver. Can you imagine the amount of oil that would have leaked all over the undercarriage of the Jeep if I was driving this everyday for two weeks?
Look at the photo of the puddle of oil, I cleaned that up and drove the Jeep back into the garage, came out the next morning to find another puddle under it.

B582E8F1-8B9C-4163-80B8-B65546A284E5.jpeg

C792E847-6C4A-4675-A133-F61411899EA5.jpeg

7D3237CD-9B5C-44B5-8722-1854843260CC.jpeg

07F65F33-1E6C-404F-8B31-7CA6655564E9.jpeg

4292304D-243E-42BF-AECD-55357164FAE8.jpeg
Just picked up my JLUR 12 miles on it leaking antifreeze .SMH !

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Just picked up my JLUR 12 miles on it leaking antifreeze .SMH !
Ahhhhhhhhh
I hope the JLs don’t start springing leaks all over the place

Sponsored

Hartdt

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Hey folks,

B582E8F1-8B9C-4163-80B8-B65546A284E5.jpeg

C792E847-6C4A-4675-A133-F61411899EA5.jpeg

7D3237CD-9B5C-44B5-8722-1854843260CC.jpeg

07F65F33-1E6C-404F-8B31-7CA6655564E9.jpeg

4292304D-243E-42BF-AECD-55357164FAE8.jpeg
Were you able to get your rear main seal repaired? Appears that I have the same issue with oil leaking from the two ports at the base of the bell housing. The dealer put dye in the engine oil today to try and track where the oil is leaking from via blacklight. Any idea on how long the repair takes once the diagnosis is confirmed? They originally thought it was a loose upper intake or valve cover but still slight leak after these issues were addressed.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Were you able to get your rear main seal repaired? Appears that I have the same issue with oil leaking from the two ports at the base of the bell housing. The dealer put dye in the engine oil today to try and track where the oil is leaking from via blacklight. Any idea on how long the repair takes once the diagnosis is confirmed? They originally thought it was a loose upper intake or valve cover but still slight leak after these issues were addressed.
I was told January 31st now and who knows if it will come in

Sorry for the delayed reply, I have been off roading

Sklosinski

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I too have been diagnosed with a rear main seal leak on a 2018 JLUR with 2000 miles on it. Currently in the shop and there are no parts available in the entire country. Hopefully that means the part is being fixed so this issue stops happening!

339F336F-B614-493F-B7E3-DA7D25B42D1F.jpeg

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I hope all of you with parts on intergalactic back order file lemon law cases; in most states your car only needs to be out of service for 30 days to qualify.

There is no excuse for FCA to keep cranking out new vehicles and only deliver parts they could grab off the production line "someday."

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I hope all of you with parts on intergalactic back order file lemon law cases; in most states your car only needs to be out of service for 30 days to qualify.

There is no excuse for FCA to keep cranking out new vehicles and only deliver parts they could grab off the production line "someday."
With demand for Jeeps like it is, its probably hard for them to keep inventory for anything. Maybe we should have bought Toyota FJs?
Sponsored