Sponsored

It has been confirmed I have a rear main seal leak! Unreal!

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Since production of the FJ ended in 2014, that would be difficult if you wanted to buy new.

Sure the JL may be popular, but FCA needs to eat the cost of producing a new vehicle to service their existing customers.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I hope all of you with parts on intergalactic back order file lemon law cases; in most states your car only needs to be out of service for 30 days to qualify.

There is no excuse for FCA to keep cranking out new vehicles and only deliver parts they could grab off the production line "someday."
I agree. But, FCA lawyers would likely say that the vehicle wasn't "out of service" and was still driveable while waiting on parts, hence not qualifying it for lemon law coverage.

With demand for Jeeps like it is, its probably hard for them to keep inventory for anything. Maybe we should have bought Toyota FJs?
You can't buy a new FJ. They took it off the market because of terrible sales. And I wouldn't want a Toyota anyhow. They have their own problems and many times they are worse than what we're dealing with on these Jeeps.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I would seriously debate you on that last point.

CAFE regulations killed the FJ, and most owners havenā€™t seen their dealers except for maintenance, certainly nowhere near the level of issues in any Wrangler model from the YJ to today.

I want to see Jeep argue that a vehicle with no functional gauges or a RMS leak is ā€œdrivable.ā€

Sklosinski

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

CAFE regulations killed the FJ, and most owners havenā€™t seen their dealers except for maintenance, certainly nowhere near the level of issues in any Wrangler model from the YJ to today.

I want to see Jeep argue that a vehicle with no functional gauges or a RMS leak is ā€œdrivable.ā€

Mine is not driveable for sure. At dealer with no transmission at this point.

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON

CAFE was low on the list of what killed the FJ. When it came out in 2007, it was only intended then as a limited run niche vehicle. It was built by Toyota's HINO's heavy truck division and there was never any serious consideration for a follow on next generation model change to the FJ past it's initial release. From 2010 and until it finally went out of production in 2014, each successive model year from 2010 was rumored to be it's last.

Given the FJ did not share it's platform with any of the other Toyota global common architecture vehicle platforms, it was a one generation and done vehicle. The new Supra follows many of the same patterns. Niche vehicle, made by third party and engineering outsourced and/or shared with other manufacturers.

Sponsored

mischman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I noticed a leak on the ground in the same spot as OP pictures coming from those 2 inch holes. I took it to the dealer and they said the rear main seal was bad and there was no ETA for parts. I asked for a loaner if there was no timetable for back ordered parts. They said they dont do loaners and only do rentals through corporate/FCA. The service advisor said she would submit the request but recommended that i call them to help it out. I called the 800 number and they said they would assign a case advisor to it that could speed up the parts and/or approve a rental but that it takes 1-2 business days to assign an advisor. I would love to lemon law it.

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler JL
I noticed a leak on the ground in the same spot as OP pictures coming from those 2 inch holes. I took it to the dealer and they said the rear main seal was bad and there was no ETA for parts. I asked for a loaner if there was no timetable for back ordered parts. They said they dont do loaners and only do rentals through corporate/FCA. The service advisor said she would submit the request but recommended that i call them to help it out. I called the 800 number and they said they would assign a case advisor to it that could speed up the parts and/or approve a rental but that it takes 1-2 business days to assign an advisor. I would love to lemon law it.

Same! Mine had 1500 miles and barely a month old. I've been dealing with it since june 10. It's been in 2 dealerships for 23 days now with an ETA of July 24th for the RMS. I was able to get Into a rental but it's a 17 Toyota Corolla that's all beat up while my brand new $50k jeep sits in the sun collecting dirt at the back of a lot. Jeep cares did nothing for me. .. they gave me the same speech and were basically like yup, nothing we can do. I'd love to give this jeep back and never look back at jeep again. What an awful experience with my first jeep purchase. They're not cheap and should NOT be leaking like this right off the bat. Please update, keep us posted and good luck

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Same! Mine had 1500 miles and barely a month old. I've been dealing with it since june 10. It's been in 2 dealerships for 23 days now with an ETA of July 24th for the RMS. I was able to get Into a rental but it's a 17 Toyota Corolla that's all beat up while my brand new $50k jeep sits in the sun collecting dirt at the back of a lot. Jeep cares did nothing for me. .. they gave me the same speech and were basically like yup, nothing we can do. I'd love to give this jeep back and never look back at jeep again. What an awful experience with my first jeep purchase. They're not cheap and should NOT be leaking like this right off the bat. Please update, keep us posted and good luck
Never understood why people equate with what they paid for the expected level of quality. There is a intersection where price vs. quality meet and the amount paid is a diminishing return. $250K+ super cars break at the drop of a hat because they are more complicated. Higher cost vehicle usually means more things to break.

A rear main seal leak could happen on any vehicle regardless of price. While it sucks it happened to you, that is just the law of averages catching up and it is just your turn in the barrel. My turn could be tomorrow. So just relax a little and let the process take the time it is going to take and hopefully the repair is satisfactory and you can enjoy your Wrangler. If you are just going to stew about it after the fact, then sell it and move on and tell everybody whatever other vehicle brand board you go on how you got screwed by Jeep. Good chance a new member will join here after you leave to complain about the other guys brand being the suck that you left for.

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler JL
Never understood why people equate with what they paid for the expected level of quality. There is a intersection where price vs. quality meet and the amount paid is a diminishing return. $250K+ super cars break at the drop of a hat because they are more complicated. Higher cost vehicle usually means more things to break.

A rear main seal leak could happen on any vehicle regardless of price. While it sucks it happened to you, that is just the law of averages catching up and it is just your turn in the barrel. My turn could be tomorrow. So just relax a little and let the process take the time it is going to take and hopefully the repair is satisfactory and you can enjoy your Wrangler. If you are just going to stew about it after the fact, then sell it and move on and tell everybody whatever other vehicle brand board you go on how you got screwed by Jeep. Good chance a new member will join here after you leave to complain about the other guys brand being the suck that you left for.
Ya, I get it. Thanks for that perspective. All the great stuff I've heard is what got me into it in the first place. I bought it at the end of may for my wife with the intent to totally enjoy it this summer with our family. Not sure how I'll be pulling off a lake trip without my jeep to tow. Ive already canceled 2 trips. im just pretty disappointed about the way the first dealership and jeep cares went about it. Paying payments for something (regardless what it is) that you dont have is a tough pill to swallow. Lol. I think it's been at the dealership just about if not more days than I've had to enjoy it. I've called the tech and left a message to see if I can atleast pick it up and keep it in the garage until the part arrives. I get the whole more money, more problems.. I wish the customer support/manufactures were on the same page. Seems like this is a common issue. I wonder why these parts aren't available? I get 2 weeks or so for the part to arrive but an entire month? Plus the time for labor? Not sure how true that is or if the dealership isn't trying hard enough to get the part or what. Just sucks and doesn't seem right. Fingers crossed I can atleast bring it home or get it done sooner, otherwise like you said, we gotta relax. it is what it is. Lol Thanks for pep talk l

mischman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
The service tech gave me a number to call, i called and complained about the back order with no eta and no rental. She said she would assign a case advisor and they would call me back in a few days, i figured i would get ignored and pushed around. I got a call from a lady today, she said she would look into it and call me back. She called me back a few hours later, i can pick up a rental tomorrow that FCA is paying for and she expedited the parts. She said my jeep should be fixed in a week and a half or so.

Sponsored

First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler JL
The service tech gave me a number to call, i called and complained about the back order with no eta and no rental. She said she would assign a case advisor and they would call me back in a few days, i figured i would get ignored and pushed around. I got a call from a lady today, she said she would look into it and call me back. She called me back a few hours later, i can pick up a rental tomorrow that FCA is paying for and she expedited the parts. She said my jeep should be fixed in a week and a half or so.
Oh wow! Nice! I'll check with my tech! Thanks! By chance can I get the number? I called what I thought was FCA and left a msg but haven't received a call back . Thanks!!

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
CAFE was low on the list of what killed the FJ. When it came out in 2007, it was only intended then as a limited run niche vehicle. It was built by Toyota's HINO's heavy truck division and there was never any serious consideration for a follow on next generation model change to the FJ past it's initial release. From 2010 and until it finally went out of production in 2014, each successive model year from 2010 was rumored to be it's last.

Given the FJ did not share it's platform with any of the other Toyota global common architecture vehicle platforms, it was a one generation and done vehicle.
Yes, but CAFE was the reason it was killed in the US.

The FJ remained in production in Japan for another few years, and the FJ is still produced today for the Saudi market:

https://www.toyota.com.sa/en/vehicles/suvs/2019/FJCruiser

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Any word on the back ordered seal. I currently have my wrangler in the seal shop for the rear main seal leak and I am also getting the we have no clue when this will come in. Some advise would be great from yā€™all thatā€™s had this problem already?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Any word on the back ordered seal. I currently have my wrangler in the seal shop for the rear main seal leak and I am also getting the we have no clue when this will come in. Some advise would be great from yā€™all thatā€™s had this problem already?
Hi Maverick909, is the part on order through a dealer via the seal shop? If so, we can escalate for the part delay. Feel free to send us a private message if you'd like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Hi Maverick909, is the part on order through a dealer via the seal shop? If so, we can escalate for the part delay. Feel free to send us a private message if you'd like to discuss further.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
I thanks katlin my Jeep dealer was able to get one from Jeep it will be in in a couple days. Thanks for reaching out
Sponsored