Sponsored

It has been confirmed I have a rear main seal leak! Unreal!

dagrizz

First Name
dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl wrangler
My personal shop said $600 at most. They would do it for $500 for me tho. I filed a dealership complaint to the state of Florida, skipping over the “letter to FCA” since that would be their final thing. At this point, I don’t want it fixed under warranty because I do not trust that dealership or any other. I told the Florida depart of consumer concerns I’m looking for reimbursement for my shop doing it and full cancellation of my extended warranty since I’ve been denied appeal from the dealership (which is illegal). But I’m not stressin it. Such a slow leak, literally DROPS every week. I figured out the cause of it (I believe). My Jeep was built in 6/18. I bought it new in 5/19 with 30 miles on it.. it probably sat for almost that entire time, letting the seal dry out.
Sponsored

X3M1ST

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler MOAB
So not sure if this applies to anyone else but appears they isolated the problem to a bad transmission pressure control valve that went bad and stuck open...thus too much pressure in the case causing leakage at the seal. Hope that helps someone.

dagrizz

First Name
dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl wrangler
So not sure if this applies to anyone else but appears they isolated the problem to a bad transmission pressure control valve that went bad and stuck open...thus too much pressure in the case causing leakage at the seal. Hope that helps someone.
Is that for the auto or manual?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So I realize this was posted ~1.5 mos ago but doesn't make sense. Excessive tranny pressure would be front pump seal, would leak ATF, and would not affect manuals.

A leaking rear main leaks engine oil and has nothing to do with the transmission.

Sponsored

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
So I realize this was posted ~1.5 mos ago but doesn't make sense. Excessive tranny pressure would be front pump seal, would leak ATF, and would not affect manuals.

A leaking rear main leaks engine oil and has nothing to do with the transmission.
On my vehicle I had both a rear main seal leak and a transfer case leak.
The first rear man leak was due to the dealership putting in to much oil when they did a oil change.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
On my vehicle I had both a rear main seal leak and a transfer case leak.
The first rear man leak was due to the dealership putting in to much oil when they did a oil change.
Interesting. I question that an extra quart of oil would cause a RMS leak, and the crankcase is kept under a slight vacuum so there's no positive pressure there to push oil past seals.

The t-case is a separate issue and unrelated to the engine or transmission - none of them share fluids or are internally connected (at least not as far as fluids/sumps/reservoirs go)

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Interesting. I question that an extra quart of oil would cause a RMS leak, and the crankcase is kept under a slight vacuum so there's no positive pressure there to push oil past seals.

The t-case is a separate issue and unrelated to the engine or transmission - none of them share fluids or are internally connected (at least not as far as fluids/sumps/reservoirs go)
Good morning
Here is what I personally observed,
Oil leak rear main seal. Dealership confirmed and ordered the part.
I checked the oil level and it was a solid qt too much oil. While waiting for the part (took more than a month) I did a few off road trips. I noticed the leaking had stopped.
Checked the oil and the level was now where it should be. Took to dealership for the repair, they said since it’s not leaking they would not replace the rear main seal.
My next oil change at the dealership the oil leak came back again, checked the oil level and it was over about a quart. Took to the dealership, they confirmed, again had to wait for them to get the part, a month later the leak stopped when the oil level went back to normal.
The third oil change the leak came back and this time did not go away regardless of the oil level.
My JLUR was the first one the dealership had worked on at that time,

Sting

First Name
Arron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR - Sting Grey
Last edited:

huckleberryshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
had a oil change and dealer told me there was a small oil leak on the passenger side. appeared to pool near transmission. Does this sound like a Rear main leak? They want $150 for diagnosis.
Sponsored